Posting Levels At Tryouts.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 15, 2011
I am from California and all my “cheer/coaching life”, when we had tryouts and the teams were posted the levels we never set. I am now coaching in a different (Smaller) state and the director insists of posting the levels right as we post the teams… I was just wondering if anyone else post levels right away. If so, do you post the level below what the majority of the team is?? I just don’t see how you can pre determine a level of a team before they even start practicing.
Thanks!

I don't remember posting the levels, but we know what teams we are making. ie all of these kids have a back handspring and a round off bhs and maybe 2 of them can almost do a tuck. Its going to be a level 2 team. 90% of this group can do ro bhs tuck, but only 20% can do layouts or better, its going to be a 3

IME, For the most part, i think gyms already have a general idea (based on what they have towards the end of the season) what teams they'll be forming. Tryouts are really for new people coming in so they know where to place them. Our gym practices next level skills for a couple of weeks with current teams once the season is finished...this gives them an idea of who is ready to move up and who isn't. Then the next full 2-4 weeks are tryouts.. (basically a full 2 hr/2 days a week practice) with the "team" and they move people around and tweak it as needed until it's time to post results.

Our gym always posts the level when they email us our team placements....
Last season we did start out as a Youth 1/2 and then morphed into a small junior 2 before the first practice!

I am from California and all my “cheer/coaching life”, when we had tryouts and the teams were posted the levels we never set. I am now coaching in a different (Smaller) state and the director insists of posting the levels right as we post the teams… I was just wondering if anyone else post levels right away. If so, do you post the level below what the majority of the team is?? I just don’t see how you can pre determine a level of a team before they even start practicing.
Thanks!
Our gym posts the teams and level on the day the kids find out what team they are on. Tryouts are three days so you can see what skills kids have during tryouts, plus most are returning so you know the skill levels.

IME, For the most part, i think gyms already have a general idea (based on what they have towards the end of the season) what teams they'll be forming. Tryouts are really for new people coming in so they know where to place them. Our gym practices next level skills for a couple of weeks with current teams once the season is finished...this gives them an idea of who is ready to move up and who isn't. Then the next full 2-4 weeks are tryouts.. (basically a full 2 hr/2 days a week practice) with the "team" and they move people around and tweak it as needed until it's time to post results.
This is how our gym does it as well.

We do not post levels with our tryouts, but yes, as coaches we do know what we are expecting that team to be. And let's not kid ourselves, even the parents know, based on the names of the kids listed on the teams, what level it will be. The only thing that would change that level would either be injuries or lack of ability to hit the stunts required for the level.

Back