All-Star Practice Wear: Is It Necessary?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
I have heard people stress its importance, for the sake of branding. For example, when you walk into Cheer Athletics, everyone is wearing the iconic blue CA t-shirt. According to lots of people it looks good to outsiders, who see an organized group of kids rather than a bunch of kids running around in different clothing. But can one effectively brand their gym without it?

I like the idea. Our gym has all stars mixed in with regular kids for most of the tumbling classes. This year they are requiring the AS kids to wear some sort of gym shirt making them recognizable during the classes. It is a good marketing decision IMO. I have also seen it done by bows. Every team has a different bow. I like that for special events or travel.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This might sound strange, but when my high school team had practice wear, I felt like we performed better and more professionally. I guess it gave us a sense of unity that we wouldn't have had all wearing different, normal clothes.
I wish our AllStar teams could have it, if only for that reason, but the majority of parents don't want to pay for it. (Of course, those parents are the ones whose kids have new nike pros every week but I mean whatever.)

Last year, our athletes were required to wear a black sports bra with black or blue spandex. This year, they are required to buy/wear the practice sports bra/tank top with black spandex and a yellow bow. I like it (as a coach) because it's easier for me to pinpoint mistakes or timing issues.

When I cheered, it was really only required for choreography and other events when outsiders were coming in or we were appearing outside of the gym. It's changed now to be required for every practice. I do think it can be helpful visually for a coach to have everyone dressed the same, but I do think it's gotten a little outrageous. Some practice wear is bordering on the cost of a uniform, and is rarely ever seen outside the gym. What's wrong with a simple shirt and shorts or solid sports bra/shorts? I know they look nice, but when the rising cost of allstar is an issue for some, this seems like a no-brainer for me.

Not to mention some practice wear looks insanely uncomfortable and impractical.

I find when everyone is wearing even the same colour, I can pick out things more easily. My team has a penchant for tiedye though, so maybe thats why I find it hard to pick things out!

I think it does help for over all look of a team during practice, no one stands out due to a bright color. They look like one unit versus a many bodies. I do agree it does not need to be an over the top expensive set!

I like it for two reasons:

1. I can choreograph and coach more easily when everyone is dressed the same. It's easier to catch mistakes when my eye is not constantly drawn to the girl in the BLC wearing an orange neon shirt.

2. The kids feel unified. When they come in to practice and they're all in uniform and dressed like it matters they tend to take things more seriously.

Branding is important I guess but that's not why I choose to have practice wear.

What about having practice wear (not fun practice wear) in a color that is not one of your gym's colors? Ex: your colors are red, silver and white, and your gym t-shirt/practice wear is black.

What about having practice wear (not fun practice wear) in a color that is not one of your gym's colors? Ex: your colors are red, silver and white, and your gym t-shirt/practice wear is black.
I think it's a fun way to break it up a little bit. Some people cheer so long they have a million items in their gym colors so it's nice to switch it up some.

Savvy business owners see a great advertising opportunity when they're standing in front of them, our kids are great walking billboards. With that said, a uniform, practice wear, or just having a specific color to wear to practice sets a discipline for the athlete, as well as, building the brand. My kids know they have to look at the calendar and keep up with what to wear, make sure it is clean, have their hair in a neat ponytail, in a bow, etc. As far as, "hot buttons", parents are generally told practice wear is required and in most cases, the approximate cost before the season starts. It always amazes me in an activity where parents spend $5,000 or more per year with travel, a $20 t-shirt can send them over the edge and that is "where they draw the line".:rolleyes:

Practice wear is necessary..... however, expensive over the top practice wear is not necessary

Yes.

Practice wear is important but there ARE ways to keep costs down for parents.

Example: Everything need not be a blinged out custom extravaganza with your name on the back. Or some sublimated Illusive Apparel awesomeness.

A simple black sports bra is fine. Really.

Back