All-Star Practice Wear Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2014
I answered a question similar to this, but wanting to know something slightly different. Do you think it's fair as a parent, to have to spend more money on practice wear that has a bunch of rhinestones on them and metallic colors? I'm asking this because, in my opinion I think it really will make a small difference in the overall tuition of all star cheerleading, if gyms would stop ordering expensive practice wear. To me, practice wear should be basic like CJA Level five gunz. Than have something fancy for comps and showcases. You should look nice and decent for those events. But just for regular everyday practice, it's not a fashion down or protect runway. There is no reason to spend an extra 100.00 on rhinestones and metallic colors on gym practice wear. When that money could be saved, for new uniforms one day, or spent on something that the gyms actually needs. What I want to know is, do you find it fair to spend extra money on expensive practice wear that could be a lot cheaper and basic?

Even at my old gym, I didn't agree with the practice wear. But it wasn't too bad. I know not all gyms have crazy and fancy practice wear, but most do and I just want to know how you feel about it and will you ever bring it up to the coach? In request to think about changing it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

CJA has sublimated practicewear.... I don't think that's any cheaper than a few rhinestones. My practicewear has rhinestones and didn't cost much more than 2 pairs of nike pros, a sports bra, and a tank would regularly. I highly doubt the $20-40 is going to make a huge difference to anyone when the cost of a season ranges from $2000-5000. Now, the teams who get blinged practicewear that's specific to every big comp? Yeah, that makes a difference. But not that many teams do it. It's just that they're higher profile so more people take notice. I'd prefer to pay more for blinged practicewear that Im going to use all season long than pay for normal practicewear and then again for blinged practicewear that I'll use for one comp. it's basically going to cost the same amount, but if you get it from the beginning you get more uses out of it. $50 practicewear to be used once = $50 per use. $100 practicewear that I use once a week all season = $2-$4 per use.

CJA has sublimated practicewear.... I don't think that's any cheaper than a few rhinestones. My practicewear has rhinestones and didn't cost much more than 2 pairs of nike pros, a sports bra, and a tank would regularly. I highly doubt the $20-40 is going to make a huge difference to anyone when the cost of a season ranges from $2000-5000. Now, the teams who get blinged practicewear that's specific to every big comp? Yeah, that makes a difference. But not that many teams do it. It's just that they're higher profile so more people take notice. I'd prefer to pay more for blinged practicewear that Im going to use all season long than pay for normal practicewear and then again for blinged practicewear that I'll use for one comp. it's basically going to cost the same amount, but if you get it from the beginning you get more uses out of it. $50 practicewear to be used once = $50 per use. $100 practicewear that I use once a week all season = $2-$4 per use.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/QUOTE

I agree. I know it's not gone make a huge difference, but I do think it will make a very small difference some where down the line. I just think all the bling isn't called for, for practice wear. I do understand what you're saying. :)

Competing (mostly or only) locally, ordering one cost friendly uniform (and wearing it for at least a few seasons before buying new ones), and requiring all-white cheer shoes (as opposed to a specific shoe) are the best ways in which to decrease the cost of all-star cheer.

The gym I coached at last year did everything possible to be affordable. Practice wear was 1 t shirt, 1 blinged sports bra & 2 pairs of soffe shorts and cost no more than $50 a kid. Uniforms are rented. Athletes can wear any white cheer sneaker. Warm ups are optional. Bows are made in-house. When it all added up, the savings were probably close to $500, just by cutting the unnecessary stuff.

The gym I coached at last year did everything possible to be affordable. Practice wear was 1 t shirt, 1 blinged sports bra & 2 pairs of soffe shorts and cost no more than $50 a kid. Uniforms are rented. Athletes can wear any white cheer sneaker. Warm ups are optional. Bows are made in-house. When it all added up, the savings were probably close to $500, just by cutting the unnecessary stuff.
RUoZixL.gif

The program I was at for the end of the season had 2 t-shirts included with tuition and when there was an occaision like a tumble clinic or clean up clinic we had to wear that t-shirt if we were late to the season and didnt have that tshort we just wore a similar colour

In my area, parents want fancy practice wear and expect everything to be the best available. I've personally seen my child's gym director try to keep costs down only to hear complaints from parents. From shoes to bags to uniforms...the parents I see (with a few exceptions) believe that nothing is too expensive for Susie.

Eta: our program is also one of the least expensive around.

In my area, parents want fancy practice wear and expect everything to be the best available. I've personally seen my child's gym director try to keep costs down only to hear complaints from parents. From shoes to bags to uniforms...the parents I see (with a few exceptions) believe that nothing is too expensive for Susie.

Eta: our program is also one of the least expensive around.

I feel like that is totally a keeping up with "Jones's" mentality. When they see their kids friends and competitors/cheerlebrities wearing over the top sparkle bows with flashy practice wear, it's natural that they would want their kids to have that too. Props to your director for trying to keep costs low where possible in this expensive sport. Especially since I'm sure most of your parents will end up having to buy Summit clothes as well in a couple of months ;)

I feel like that is totally a keeping up with "Jones's" mentality. When they see their kids friends and competitors/cheerlebrities wearing over the top sparkle bows with flashy practice wear, it's natural that they would want their kids to have that too. Props to your director for trying to keep costs low where possible in this expensive sport. Especially since I'm sure most of your parents will end up having to buy Summit clothes as well in a couple of months ;)

Haha! I'm laughing at myself because I've contributed to my daughter's insane bow collection and even bought that dang Summit practice wear last season on the off chance she'd attend (she didn't. Lol!). But, hey, I'm not complaining about costs. ;)

As long as they actually wear the practicewear that they ordered, and it is comfortable and functional, then I do not have an issue with the cost. I cannot see there being such a difference in price between sublimated practicewear and practicewear with some rhinestones on it.

I think the most expensive thing we have bought over the past few seasons that was not mandatory was cp's Nfinity backpack, but she has used it for 2 seasons already and it still looks great. Maybe one of these days I will actually hot glue on the rhinestones I bought for it.

This may be an unpopular opinion on here but I believe that yes it is fair to have to as a parent purchase this practice wear with what ever design the coaches or owners decide the practice wear should be. I think that is this were let's say football or baseball you would have to purchase practice clothes in whatever colors or fabric or whatever the coaches told you to because that is what is required to practice with that team.

I dunno maybe I am just cranky and this post hit a nerve after listening to a group of parents at Princess Hotmess' gym. If I came across cranky or like I was attacking anyone I am sorry did not mean for this post to saound that way.

One of my son's baseball coaches a few years ago was big into fancy uniforms. That year they had three jerseys. One of them was completely custom and cost something like $70. They got their butts kicked early in the season wearing them and NEVER WORE THEM AGAIN. BC baseball players are superstitious and insane.

Yes.

I have even told people who are looking at potential gyms to really consider this aspect.

Gym A might have a parent contingent that is all about keeping costs down and totally okay with black sports bra/gym tee shirt/gym color Pros as practice wear for everyone if that is what the gym owner proposes. They have no problem bringing their kids to open gyms or privates in that. Team gifts are something reasonable like picture frames or something. Team backpack is not custom.

Meanwhile Gym B's parents are very much about the EXTRAS. They want the customized rhinestoned sports bras with kid's names embroidered, along with personalized monogrammed bows, and Pros in every color under the sun to match the custom practice wear that is ordered for every comp (i.e. Summit, NCA, etc.) Their kids show up to open gym or privates in a custom "I'm so fancy" sports bra, lavender Pros, and a lavender stoned bow. If your child shows up in a black bra and Pros, you get the side-eye as if you're the Joan Crawford of cheer moms. Team gifts include monogrammed totes. You simply MUST purchase an Nfinity sparkle backpack as well.

Really look at the "Joneses" aspect of the gym and whether you can afford that expense. You might get a tuition break at Gym B, but there's no point if what you're saving is going to go into looking the part. Is there anything wrong with wanting to look nice? No. But there are quite a few people at Gym B going broke to fit into that.

I do have to agree with you for the most part. But I do believe that having metallic practice wear with lots of jewels and rhinestones is apart of cheer and that's what makes us different from any other sport in my opinion.

Back