Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thats a lot of practice time for only 2 competitions.
When I was with Pop Warner we practiced 4 times a week 2.5 hours a day in August, then when September started 3 times a week+a game on Saturdays, but we were only guaranteed one competition, but if we qualified, we moved on to Regionals and Nationals.

It never seemed like enough time, but now that I'm just doing 2 days a week 2 hours a day for a competitive only team, I honestly have no idea what we did with all that time.

Ahhhhh, got it. Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, that was my experience - we would go to competitions and know that we were going to be smacked by an all star team competing as "rec" but we had no way to prove it... So the kids just did their best, and occasionally we beat the ringers ;)

I like to hear this. A well coached team at any level can beat "the ringers"

We practice 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday) for an hour and a half each. This was the plan from Monday's practice (we follow the same format each time. It's easier for the little ones to remember).

Monday:
I. Goals
a. Review cheers
b. Practice basic jumps/motions
c. Learn 2 new cheers and one new jump

II. Warm-up (time 15 min)
a. Jog to fence
b. Bring towel/mat for situps/crunches
c. Stretch

III. Work on basics -you can break into two groups again
a. Review: candlesticks, "L" and "Reverse L", diagonals and broken diagonals
b. Learn "Who Rocks the Boat", "We Don't mess around"
c. Learn Herkie Jump

IV. Review Cheers/Jumps
a. S-C-A-R-E-D & Pump it Up
b. Tuck jump & Spread Eagle jump

V. Conditioning/Games (time 20 min)
a. Push ups (8-10), Crunches (8-10)
b. Jump Drill
c. They can play duck, duck, goose to end it.

Jump Drill:
Purpose: Build strength and endurance for jump drills

Procedure:
1. Cheerleader crunches: lay on your back, legs straight, arms in touchdown position. Sit up bringing your legs up, rolling back into a toe touch position, and bring arms between to a T. (basically doing a toe touch while sitting on the ground). Repeat 10-15 times.
2. Squat jumps: crouch down, touching your fingers to the floor. Jump up, bringing arms above head, shrugging up your shoulders like you would during a jump. As soon as feet hit the floor, return to starting position. Repeat 15-20 times.
3. Consecutive tuck Jumps: Do a tuck with the approach. As soon as you hit the floor, go back up into a tuck without prep. Repeat 5-10 times

Practices for the Upward league were one night per week, usually on a Sunday evening, then games were on Saturday mornings. Practices were one hour.
Practices for WNC youth league were limited by league rules to 7 hours in one week. This was for both football and cheerleading. Deviation form this was punished by not being eligible for the playoffs. The Termite team that Cp was on practiced two hours, two nights per week. During competition time, the extra hour was added by adding 30 minutes to each practice.

My team practices two days a week, 2 hours on sunday and an hour and a half on thursday. In the summer practices before we get choreography, we work on jumps and tumbling a lot. we basically work on everything so we can get as much skill as possible before we get the routine. But now that my team got our choreography, we work on perfecting/hitting everything and making sure we have all the tumbling skills that were put into the routine for us! I'm also expecting a third practice day to happen! I'm just not sure when! :)

We practice 3x a week (tuesday, wednesday, thursday) from 5:30-7:30
Since we just do football games (so far, competitions start later) we work on Cheers for a good 45 minutes. Dance/Jumps get a half hour. Workout (first 15 minutes of practice) ; 2 laps of running, stretching, crunches.
Then IF we have time, we do stunts.
Because we practice at a middle school (yet we don't cheer for a school) we can only use the mats (wrestling mats) once a week DURING the school year, so thats when we start focusing on stunting/tumbling!

we practice two days a week, around two hours each day. however we have a performance tomorrow so we've had three practices for the last two weeks with somewhere between 2-3 hours each day.

CP's team practices 4 days a week 2 hours a day for the month of August and 3 days a week with Sunday football game once school starts. They compete in 3 local competitions and States. They can advance to Regionals and Nationals. Season ends in October for football and competitions can go until the 2nd week of December.

I am shocked at the number of hours per week that you all are practicing...This is more than my daughter put in last year on a full season All Star team at an all star gym!

My daughters team starts practice in August, they do 4 days a week 2 hours a day give or take. Then once school starts they only cheer football no practice during the week. In our league you do not have to compete, but you cannot compete if you do not cheer for the football season. Once comp season starts, the girls who are going to be on the comp team practice two nights a week for 2.5 hours. There is also an optional tumbling class once a week for an additional fee.

Now that we are getting ready for the first comp. her coach has added an occasional additional weekend practice or weeknight practice.

I know the topic of proving you cheered a sport came up, in our league Burt Bell, every girl has an ID and attendance is taken at each game all season long. If a girl misses more than three games without special circumstances she becomes ineligible to compete.

We practice wednesday (only tumbling), thursday 8-10 and sunday 5-8. Summer - autumn testing new stunts, combinations of stunts and people, autumn - winter choreography till competition starts in march - june.

Back