All-Star Pre-routine Traditions

• Thread starter Deleted member 41136
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As someone who doesn't wear make-up (literally I can not tell you the last time I put any on) I don't see a smokey eye as inherently sexy though I understand that is the appeal for adults. To CP it's to make her eyes stand out for the judges, much like glitter was though we both hated it, but she just doesn't get it beyond that. She wore a similar eye style for Halloween last year because she dressed up like a Monster High girl and this year will rock it again because she's going to be the queen of the vampires. Though I understand the concern, if the choice is dark eye make-up or glitter---I'll take the dark eyes any day of the week.

For reference, she is a newly turned 7 year old.

(I live in Sweden where cheer is like 5-10 years behind so cut me some slack ;) ) but we do full silver glitter eyes with a cateye eyelinee and glitter hair! I absolutely love it haha! Though it's only for our senior team, our youth team only did possibly some mascara, a glitter stripe beside their eye and then hair. Our coaches really don't want them in full makeup.

As for rituals, I only do a small peptalk for my team to stay in the moment and then I have a "handshake" with a girl on the matt. But that's about it haha!

One year we did a huddle and rap that a couple girls made up. Whenever we did hands in leading up to certain comps, we'd break and say "jackets" or "backpacks" (actually worked a couple times). Usually we'd just pray or give pep talks. I did other random things with my friends like inside joke related or "pray" to Gwen Stefani because a No Doubt song was playing when we got our bid to All Levels at our last chance competition and considered her good luck :p. My senior year these two girls would walk out and go right up to a photographer, bend down and cheese really hard :D before starting.

Usually we'd just pray or give pep talks. I did other random things with my friends like inside joke related or "pray" to Gwen Stefani because a No Doubt song was playing when we got our bid to All Levels at our last chance competition and considered her good luck.
We are doing the same thing but with Beyonce. Run The World is our jumps song and Independent women is our dance.

(I live in Sweden where cheer is like 5-10 years behind so cut me some slack ;) ) but we do full silver glitter eyes with a cateye eyelinee and glitter hair! I absolutely love it haha! Though it's only for our senior team, our youth team only did possibly some mascara, a glitter stripe beside their eye and then hair. Our coaches really don't want them in full makeup.

As for rituals, I only do a small peptalk for my team to stay in the moment and then I have a "handshake" with a girl on the matt. But that's about it haha!
You described exactly what I do with my middle schoolers!!! Except it's not silver.

So last season my team would do a sassy version of the Hokey Cokey. Fyi we're an open senior team...!

Not sure if the Hokey Cokey is just a British thing? So for explanation it's a little kids song/dance that they do at primary school. You're supposed to go round all the body parts, and it helps teach kids left and right. Kids love it because the chorus involves everyone running into the middle of the circle three times, often at full speed, and swinging back out.

My team would just do one foot/verse, stomp the floor and sing it really raucously and then all run into the middle and crush each other.

So silly but definitely helped ease the tension and had everyone giggling! Plus yannoooo, we got to hold hands - textbook pre-comp prep ;)

So last season my team would do a sassy version of the Hokey Cokey. Fyi we're an open senior team...!

Not sure if the Hokey Cokey is just a British thing? So for explanation it's a little kids song/dance that they do at primary school. You're supposed to go round all the body parts, and it helps teach kids left and right. Kids love it because the chorus involves everyone running into the middle of the circle three times, often at full speed, and swinging back out.

My team would just do one foot/verse, stomp the floor and sing it really raucously and then all run into the middle and crush each other.

So silly but definitely helped ease the tension and had everyone giggling! Plus yannoooo, we got to hold hands - textbook pre-comp prep ;)

Not just a British thing, but we call it the Hokey Pokey. Definitely the same song and dance though :)

We used to give them heart stickers or ladybug stickers (ladybugs represent good luck) and they either put them in their shoes or over their hearts. The kids always loved it and when I was on the team I absolutely loved it. It became an amazing tradition and we still have people who have moved to other gyms or who have aged out call us or tell us that the stickers was one of their favorite things about competition.

Not just a British thing, but we call it the Hokey Pokey. Definitely the same song and dance though :)

Well, I would say that the Hokey Pokey is sort of different, especially the running into the middle part, or maybe we do it a crazy way out here in the West! Lol

Well, before I went to warm ups on my old backpack I had this cute lemon slice keychain my friend made from me that was a makeup sponge painted yellowAnd it had a little face on it. I squeezed it a few times before I handed my mom my bag. And this year it's on my new backpack too

Back