All-Star Preparing For Cheer Athletics Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2014
Hey y'all so I'm getting ready for CA Austin tryouts!! I'm sooo excited! The problem is I stress fractured my arm and lost a lot of time and skill... I haven't tumbled since December. Now if I had been tumbling consistently since then I'm sure I'd be able to make level 4, but unfortunately I haven't because of my stress fracture. I'm starting to tumble again and the first time went really well! I did a round off bhs back tuck by myself with a ton of power (the coach was standing there but not touching me). I also practically have my standing tuck (its kinda mental sometimes its not consistent if I haven't practiced it in a while). Since I lost a lot of time I'm shooting for level 3. I can totally get it for running, but I need to be able to do 3 standing back handsprings in a row. I could do one standing before and one right out of a jump, but have never tried 3. I can't over do tumbling because I just started again, but I feel like I would need to push myself hard to get 3 standings. Last week I went to tumble in a private with the gym owner and he kinda pushed me a little too hard and he wasn't very encouraging so that kinda made my confidence crumbled and so it allowed me to tumble worse and so then my arm started hurting again kind of!! I do not want to hurt my arm again but at the same time i need to get my skills down!!! I also think my physical therapy might be doing something to it. Its called airosti therapy which is basically like deep muscle massaging (feels like its bruised afterwards!). I feel like right now it got irritated and enflamed from the airosti b/c its only recently recovered and then tumbling right after the therapy added to that. Maybe I shouldn't do airosti anymore. The first time I started tumbling again, I hadn't done PT yet and it felt perfectly fine! So do y'all think it could be b/c of the airosti? Also do y'all think if I rested for this week and then started up again with tumbling next week if it feels completely fine again I could get my skills down (especially the 3 standing bhs) in like 2 or 3 weeks!?
I'm kinda in a sticky situation b/c I've lost a lot of preparing time... I feel like if I hadn't been hurt I would not have any problems with this. Oh and y'all probably should also know that generally CA isn't going to be lenient about like almost having tumbling... you need to have it at the tryout!

Thank you!!

Hey y'all so I'm getting ready for CA Austin tryouts!! I'm sooo excited! The problem is I stress fractured my arm and lost a lot of time and skill... I haven't tumbled since December. Now if I had been tumbling consistently since then I'm sure I'd be able to make level 4, but unfortunately I haven't because of my stress fracture. I'm starting to tumble again and the first time went really well! I did a round off bhs back tuck by myself with a ton of power (the coach was standing there but not touching me). I also practically have my standing tuck (its kinda mental sometimes its not consistent if I haven't practiced it in a while). Since I lost a lot of time I'm shooting for level 3. I can totally get it for running, but I need to be able to do 3 standing back handsprings in a row. I could do one standing before and one right out of a jump, but have never tried 3. I can't over do tumbling because I just started again, but I feel like I would need to push myself hard to get 3 standings. Last week I went to tumble in a private with the gym owner and he kinda pushed me a little too hard and he wasn't very encouraging so that kinda made my confidence crumbled and so it allowed me to tumble worse and so then my arm started hurting again kind of!! I do not want to hurt my arm again but at the same time i need to get my skills down!!! I also think my physical therapy might be doing something to it. Its called airosti therapy which is basically like deep muscle massaging (feels like its bruised afterwards!). I feel like right now it got irritated and enflamed from the airosti b/c its only recently recovered and then tumbling right after the therapy added to that. Maybe I shouldn't do airosti anymore. The first time I started tumbling again, I hadn't done PT yet and it felt perfectly fine! So do y'all think it could be b/c of the airosti? Also do y'all think if I rested for this week and then started up again with tumbling next week if it feels completely fine again I could get my skills down (especially the 3 standing bhs) in like 2 or 3 weeks!?
I'm kinda in a sticky situation b/c I've lost a lot of preparing time... I feel like if I hadn't been hurt I would not have any problems with this. Oh and y'all probably should also know that generally CA isn't going to be lenient about like almost having tumbling... you need to have it at the tryout!

Thank you!!
I'm going to be completely honest with you: You should let your arm heal. The more you tumble with it injured, the worse it will get. PT can hurt when you start, my sister had an issue with it, but you need to keep at it and push through. It will be worth it in the end. I don't think tumbling on it right now is the smartest thing, but I understand why you want to do it. Just know that you could potentially hurt yourself more than you are already if you keep tumbling on something that isn't completely healed.

We love Airrosti! Yes, it hurts at the time, but it should make tumbling feel better - not worse. If it's feeling worse, you need to let your doctor know so (s)he can see if there's another reason for the pain.

If you had a stress fracture several months ago (I think I read January in your other posts?) it should have had plenty of time to heal by now. If you were casted or kept your arm in a sling for very long, you probably have some muscle atrophy and tight ligaments and tendons that need to be built back up and stretched and that could be causing your pain. My CP broke both ends of her radius (wrist and elbow) in mid-December, but she's been tumbling since late January. We kept her in the cast the minimum amount of time we could to try and avoid the muscle/tendon/ligament problems. Then she worked her way back up to tumbling - she started out just doing standing tucks on the floor and everything else on the tumble track and then moved to the rod floor before finally back on the spring floor about 2-3 weeks later. She had minor pain at first, but she's been tumbling normally (level 4) since mid-February.

One thing I've noticed with my CP is that whenever she's unsure of herself or frustrated with tumbling, things "hurt". It's not that she's making it up or lying or whatever it's just her mind's way of feeding into her frustrations.

Another reason you could be hurting is that you are tumbling with improper form. Is tumbling what caused your stress fracture? If you're tumbling with improper form, that might explain why you felt the CA coach was being hard on you. I see that a lot at our gym - kids come in who think they have certain skills and get discouraged when our coaches correct them.

I'm going to be completely honest with you: You should let your arm heal. The more you tumble with it injured, the worse it will get. PT can hurt when you start, my sister had an issue with it, but you need to keep at it and push through. It will be worth it in the end. I don't think tumbling on it right now is the smartest thing, but I understand why you want to do it. Just know that you could potentially hurt yourself more than you are already if you keep tumbling on something that isn't completely healed.

Oh well actually I've been allowed to start tumbling again haha I guess I didn't make that clear enough! Yeah its ok for me to tumble again but not like excessively. I am being careful though. I haven't tumbled in a week as of now. I'm still thinking the PT might have enflamed it though. I started airosti before we knew it was stress fractured and it made the injury worse so we are thinking that could be whats irritating my arm all of a sudden.

We love Airrosti! Yes, it hurts at the time, but it should make tumbling feel better - not worse. If it's feeling worse, you need to let your doctor know so (s)he can see if there's another reason for the pain.

If you had a stress fracture several months ago (I think I read January in your other posts?) it should have had plenty of time to heal by now. If you were casted or kept your arm in a sling for very long, you probably have some muscle atrophy and tight ligaments and tendons that need to be built back up and stretched and that could be causing your pain. My CP broke both ends of her radius (wrist and elbow) in mid-December, but she's been tumbling since late January. We kept her in the cast the minimum amount of time we could to try and avoid the muscle/tendon/ligament problems. Then she worked her way back up to tumbling - she started out just doing standing tucks on the floor and everything else on the tumble track and then moved to the rod floor before finally back on the spring floor about 2-3 weeks later. She had minor pain at first, but she's been tumbling normally (level 4) since mid-February.

One thing I've noticed with my CP is that whenever she's unsure of herself or frustrated with tumbling, things "hurt". It's not that she's making it up or lying or whatever it's just her mind's way of feeding into her frustrations.

Another reason you could be hurting is that you are tumbling with improper form. Is tumbling what caused your stress fracture? If you're tumbling with improper form, that might explain why you felt the CA coach was being hard on you. I see that a lot at our gym - kids come in who think they have certain skills and get discouraged when our coaches correct them.

No it wasn't because of bad form, I have good form... I had gymnastics background. The coach was not correcting it was just something he was saying that I don't really want to keep talking about. Um its because I over tumbled and even though it started to hurt sometime in the fall I kept on tumbling a lot on it and over used it... and then didn't know that I had for a while and it got worse.
When I started tumbling again on the spring floor for the first time a few weeks ago... I had no pain at all. But then I went into to tumble last week after PT and it hurt. Not sure whats up haha

It sounds like people are trying to help you but you have your mind set already! You wanna keep tumbling? Do it. People are giving their opinions and you are shooting us down! I think you know your answer to your question already.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Im sorry if it seemed that way! I honestly don't know what to do... I'm just responding to everyone so people can understand more and see if someone can help me with the best solution... I'm not shooting them down, I'm explaining more. I want to keep tumbling!!! I really want to! But I don't know if thats best!!! If it could go my way, I would keep tumbling and get my skills down for tryouts. But I'm not sure if I can. I don't want to over do it, but in order to get my skills I'd have to push myself. I would hate to get injured and end up not being able to tryout, but if I wait and tryout late I am scared that they won't have a spot on a team!!! I just want every thing to work out and I've been getting stressed about this.

Thank you...

Im sorry if it seemed that way! I honestly don't know what to do... I'm just responding to everyone so people can understand more and see if someone can help me with the best solution... I'm not shooting them down, I'm explaining more. I want to keep tumbling!!! I really want to! But I don't know if thats best!!! If it could go my way, I would keep tumbling and get my skills down for tryouts. But I'm not sure if I can. I don't want to over do it, but in order to get my skills I'd have to push myself. I would hate to get injured and end up not being able to tryout, but if I wait and tryout late I am scared that they won't have a spot on a team!!! I just want every thing to work out and I've been getting stressed about this.

Thank you...

And also even if I don't say "Yes that is the perfect answer" that doesn't mean I'm not taking in everyone's opinions. I'm reading each one and thinking about the pros and cons for each... I'm trying to compile all my possibilities to find the best one or come up with the best one. So thank you to anyone who wants to help me out!

Would it be possible to take time off and rest and then join a half year team at CA later in the season? I realize that probably isn't the ideal situation but you really should take the time to get back to 100% instead of pushing yourself before your body is ready. I'd hate to see you do long term damage just so you could be ready for tryouts.

Would it be possible to take time off and rest and then join a half year team at CA later in the season? I realize that probably isn't the ideal situation but you really should take the time to get back to 100% instead of pushing yourself before your body is ready. I'd hate to see you do long term damage just so you could be ready for tryouts.

I probably would do that but I'm already doing their half year team! Haha. I wanted to get the feel of doing competitions :) I'm not tumbling in the routine though. I hope I'm not making it sound bad. It was injured but now its healed, but I can't over do it. It was hurting last week, but hopefully if I go gradually back into it it will be fine. I guess I'll just have to find out. If it is still hurting then I might have to try out late and if not then I will plan to tryout on time!

Standing 3 is very simple. Some drills would be to do handstand snap down back handspring, if you can do that, you can do 3

All I can say is everyone heals differently! Because someone else can easily get back into doesn't necessarily mean that is best for your body.

Let your body tell you what to do! Is reinjuring your arm worth it so early in the season?

Can you tryout later in the summer?
Will they accept a video tryout? That is if you have anything recorded.
Ask for options before you make a decision.

Good luck!

You can do a private tryout, it just costs more. I am guessing you are doing the later tryout in May?

Not only do you have to have those skills in CAA tryouts, you have to have them almost perfect - mastered - a bunch of times. Both days. Not only that, you still have to have that skill all summer in practice or you could face getting moved down over the summer. It happened to my little one last summer. Everything has to be consistent all the time. So please do what you feel you are comfortable with. I would go for L3 over L4. But you need to have all those L3 skills down. They will spot you at first in tryouts I heard but then you have to do it a bunch. And you move stations. But CAA knows what they are doing, they will put you where you need to be. Just be honest with them. Tell them about the injury if they don't already know. And hopefully you will be put exactly where you need to be. Good luck ;-)

Back