Problem With My Coach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 12, 2012
it's my first year with my new cheerleading team and really i have so muchh fun every day :)

but i'have just same trouble with my coach...
during the match she want we make the shoulder sits for support the team. that's ok, also in my previous team we made them, but for 30 second...1 minute max. she want them for more long time so every time i feel my muscle tired :( when i told it her reply was "only you have this problem, the other girls are fine also for 3,4 minutes or more". i hate her for this reply...i train hard on the week.
also i've tryed with another flyer but it's the same...pheraps i lack of stamina? or the other girls are cyborg???
pls help me :(

i already train myself during the weaks with all my team. but i dont know if it's my fault now...because the other girls dont complain about it...one base is also more light than me but she dont report any trouble :(

Am I reading this right? You are having a hard time basing a shoulder sit for more an one minute? Before I give advice I want to make sure I understand the problem.

1 or 2 minutes isn't a problem...i feel a little pain when i have to stay in this position for more long. i dont watch the time, but in the last game she wanted our line up for at least 4 minutes ;_; now i dont know if i'm too weak for basing and it's my fault........

I would tell your coach that you love cheer but are having problems and ask her if she has any ideas for you to become stronger. Not being strong enough is a common problem as girls age so don't get down on yourself, just work on strength and conditioning outside of cheer as well.
I would also start thinking about getting into tumbling. If basing is becoming hard they can always use tumblers on cheer squads.

tumbling is my favourite part in cheerleading :) but i'd like to be complete. i dont think i'm in bad shape...i think only that her request is absurde

As a coach her job is to push you to do your best and many times they will ask you to push your limits but you have to trust that in the end it will make you a better athlete.
Also you can ask her to make sure you are indeed doing the stunt correctly, maybe she has a suggestion to make it easier on you.
Sometimes you can't do it all and you just have to take the knowledge of your limitations and go with it.
It will get better! Trust me, make a personal goal to hold it longer each practice and you will eventually be at the same level as every other girl on your squad.

ty so much for your advice!
shoulder sit is a beginning stunt, i think i do it in the correct way (anyway my coaches never had correct me in my previous years), but i also think that many athletes (girls at my ages) have trouble to hold the balance so much time.

today i'have talk with my coach about my limits, but she had reply me that i dont put all myself in our routine and this routine is easy and common for all team. ok i'm a beginner...but in my previous school never my coach request me to hold the shoulder sits linee so long and it sounds me new
maybe i'm too weak for basing? :(

It sounds to me like you complain a lot. Sorry kid but that is my opinion after years of coaching and dealing with kids that complain about stuff like shoulder sits. Coaches really can't deal with much whining. Try to suck it up. If you really love to cheer you'll find a way to deal with it.

Tough love sha, tough love <3

I don't know if you are actually looking for advice or just want sympathy. When basing shoulder sits, it's important to make sure you're standing with your shoulders straight and square; don't hunch your back or stuck your butt out and sway your back; and strengthen your core. It's a basic stunt, but if you aren't set right, it's hard to do.

ok, but when we training, my coach never correct my position. if i make it in the wrong way i think she have to correge me, but she says it's good. i can do this basic stunt, only i'have difficoult to hold it for 3 minutes or more...pheraps it's normal for a girl with my size? i'm 103lb about...

It sounds to me like you complain a lot. Sorry kid but that is my opinion after years of coaching and dealing with kids that complain about stuff like shoulder sits. Coaches really can't deal with much whining. Try to suck it up. If you really love to cheer you'll find a way to deal with it.

Tough love sha, tough love <3
You took the words out of my mouth. Shoulder stands are not made to feel good. I think they're one of the most uncomfortable things in cheerleading. Plus holding it for 3 minutes +....that's going to be painful regardless of who are you or how you're holding it.

I've even suggested taking it back to the 80's and using shoulder pads during practice :)

Back