Punch Front Step-outs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 28, 2010
I just started landing my punch fronts again last night at practice and my coach wants me to start trying to add the step-out with it...do yall have any tips, advice, or videos to help me?

Make sure you do this on the tumble track (if you have access first). Trust me, it is always better to step out later than earlier. My first time trying to step out I did it too early and hyperextended both my knees. I couldn't walk with straight legs for days because they would pop out. However, I can do it now, better late than never! :)

Anyway, on to speaking like a tumbling coach and not a cheerleader. lol. Make sure you keep that good set and like @UBettaWerkSnap said, rotate fast. When you clearly see the wall after rotating, start to step out a little. Take baby steps - don't do a huge step out during your first few tries because it just won't work out. lol. But doing it on the tumble track will help you experiment better on when to step out and still stay injured free.

I heard a gymnast say the other day that russians were made to step out of and punch fronts were made to stick the landing on. I didn't even know what a russian was so I asked and the arms are completely different in a russian. I'm gonna have my daughter (who has NEVER been good at punch front step outs) try the russian and see if it is easier for her.

Does anyone here have any input into this theory??

Run as fast as you can and when you put your legs together do a little jump. Then jump as high as you can, rotate quickly, and then step out. Don't step out until you have rotated!

set really hard and push your hips up! step out right before your about to land! hope it helps :)

hmm kind of hard to explain, but when your stepping out think of straddling a line. that way its easy to keep the momentum going

I heard a gymnast say the other day that russians were made to step out of and punch fronts were made to stick the landing on. I didn't even know what a russian was so I asked and the arms are completely different in a russian. I'm gonna have my daughter (who has NEVER been good at punch front step outs) try the russian and see if it is easier for her.

Does anyone here have any input into this theory??
Yes! I was taught to do russians after I hyperextended my leg. They help a lot and that's how I step out now. Russians are more powerful then normal punch fronts. I know that Whitney Love does beautiful russians through to doubles. I'm pretty sure she has vids of it on her youtube, so if you want a really good example, I'd take a look there. It takes a few tries to get used to it because not only are the arms different, but you lift with your shoulders instead of a set with the arms. It's much much much more powerful. :)

lets say this is ur body: I
when ur body is almost done with the front flip it looks kinda like this: \
when its like that let go of one of ur legs( the leg u round off with ) earlier than the other and than round off

lol i dont really know how to explain it on the internet that well so sorry if this sounds retarded

lets say this is ur body: I
when ur body is almost done with the front flip it looks kinda like this: \
when its like that let go of one of ur legs( the leg u round off with ) earlier than the other and than round off

lol i dont really know how to explain it on the internet that well so sorry if this sounds DUMB

Fixed it for you. We don't use that word on here.

on the topic of "punch front vs. russian", punch front are definitely easier to do in terms of understanding where and how to place your arms/body, but russians are easier when doing the skill and create much more power with less effort. in a russian, your arms do not punch from over your head; they come from the bottom. if youre planning on throwing fulls or doubles out of it, id say go ahead and learn russians (find a coach that knows how to teach one so they can help you). if youre going to be throwing layouts for a while, punch fronts would probably be faster to learn because they are just easier to understand and execute. whitney love has great russians, watch videos of her competing or just tumbling around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0L6qw6DOA
in this video all of her front "punches" are russians.

and on the whole 'stepping out' deal: dont think about stepping forward with the foot you tumble with. think about kicking your back leg backwards. dont do this until you are past the upright position. your chest should be forward, and your back leg should kick BACK. your front leg should still be bent from the tuck to absorb the impact and lunge into your roundoff. hope this helps at least some :)

I'm intrigued- I have at least 10 athletes that are struggling with punch front step outs. I've never taught Russians...I've watched Whitney's videos, but I'm not sure how to instruct on these. Any tips on how to coach them?

Back