All-Star Push An Athlete Or Hold Them Back?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If the athlete is similar in age to the other members of the level 4 team and is close to obtaining the basic skills for the team, then it may make sense to move them up rather than having them being bored on the lower level team. But as a general rule it's better to have a talented athlete be successful on a lower level team that struggle on a higher level one. Especially if there's an age gap - if you're talking, say, a 4th or 5th grader and the difference is between a youth 2 or junior 4, then keeping them on the youth 2 team makes the most sense.

In soccer, I tend to not like to see kids play outside their skill level unless there's no other option for them to play with kids their own age.

Very dependent on each individual, probably.

But if I were a coach (and it's a GOOD THING I am not...), I would probably move them to level 4, but let them know they had to have X skill by month Y or they would be moved to level 2.

this is what i would do too. i'd give them a grace period- tell them they can come in and work, have them sign up for extra tumbling and let them work level 4 stunts. but if the skills aren't coming along or they don't have the drive to stay on level 4 then i'd bump them back down to 2 and tell them if they get the skills than they can be an alternate or be on level 4 the next season.

It has to do with the individual, and what they are willing to sacrifice! If they want to put the extra time in to train and learn the skills, then more power to them! If by the time competitions come around and they are not quite there yet, by all means, hold them back! This scenario is a double edged sword, and there is no real, definitive answer! In the end it is all up to the individual child-what they can handle-how much they want to work to improve-how much their parents are willing to invest in the whole idea!!
There are way to many variables in this situation, so there really can't be any ONE answer or solution!! Just my thoughts though?

Back