High School Pyramid Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i believe nca
Will you be competing Novice, Intermediate, or Advanced JV?

Maxing for Novice (6-8) = "Pyramids involving Extended One Leg Stunts"
Restrictions: "Pyramids: Extended one leg stunts must be braced by at least one person at prep level or below. Connection must be made prior to executing single leg extended stunt and must be made at prep level or below. Any time a top person is released by the bases and braced by other top persons , they may not perform any skill during transition and must land in a cradle. Inversion in pyramids are not allowed with the exceptions of the inversions allowed under Novice Stunts. Exception: Release moves in pyramids are not allowed with the exception of the release moves allowed under Novice Stunts"

Maxing for Int (7-9) = "Pyramids involving Extended One Leg Stunts with Multiple Transitional Sequences,
at least one of which is a release pyramid transition and Multiple Extended Structures"
Restrictions: "Pyramids: During a pyramid transition, top person may pass above 2 persons high while in direct, arm-to-arm contact with two other top persons at prep level or below. Braced flips are not allowed. "

Maxing for Adv (8-10)= same as Int but + braced flip
Restrictions: Anything under AACCA is fair game

PYRAMIDS SLIDING CRITERIA
Degree of Difficulty (depending on what is allowed in level)
-twisting up/down
-tick-tocs
-release moves
-# of one leg stunt structures
-inversion into stunt that is level appropriate (i.e. front handspring in to squish for novice, etc.)
Level of Perfection
Creative/Difficult Dismounts (ideas depending on level)
-twist down
-suspended forward roll
-full down if allowed
-dismount to prone position if allowed
Percentage of Team Participation
Minimal Use of Bases
-could do 6 two man groups if possible, or
- 4 normal groups & 1 shoulder sit
- 3 normal groups & 2 two mans
- 3 normal groups & 1 basket in back (group of 5) + 1 extra
Variety/Speed of Transitions
Multiple Structures (should be hitting at least 2 complete structures)
Additional Skills

We don't really go by levels but I suppose advanced or intermediate
So it is an NCA scoresheet but not NCA division levels? Please clarify.
It is key that you know exactly which score sheet you are building your routine towards, otherwise you will miss out on possible points to max out (int vs. advanced = at least 1 whole point difference between teams).....unless this is not for a competitive team?

For competition I would think about:
-six groups of 2 mans = shoulder stand - lib- shoulder stand shoulder stand- lib - shoulder stand (if competing advanced this should be made more difficult....i.e lib- shoulder stand - lib, etc.)
-3 regular groups + basket/back group
middle group in regular groups = release move (double braced back or front flip to cradle if competing in advanced division)
-Another sort of extended 1 leg structure

+ Add specialty skill/s & difficulty
Twisting (intermediate =.5 up to 1 leg, 360 to prep, 360 show and go) (adv = full ups, 360 down to squish, etc.)
Tic tocks (connected with prep -tick tock up to heel stretch, double braced high to high tick tock, etc.)

*If intermediate, 2 legged stunts should full down (ideally a line of connected extensions fulling down together at the end). If advanced, your 1 leg stunts need to be fulling down

If not a competition squad, then I would do a line of 4 full groups connected in extensions facing the back and then have the whole pyramid walk until facing the front + 2 extras that can be tumblers. Keep it clean & visual.

I'm not positive because not all my competitions are the same score sheet.this is my first year coaching highschool I've been coaching all stars for four years right now I have a pyramid during tumbling that is a double braced back tuck then in my pyramid section I have a high to high tick tock lib to stretch then a ball back to belly j-up to arabesque then double braced hitch front flip dismount then two groups will tiwst down

I'm not positive because not all my competitions are the same score sheet.this is my first year coaching highschool I've been coaching all stars for four years right now I have a pyramid during tumbling that is a double braced back tuck then in my pyramid section I have a high to high tick tock lib to stretch then a ball back to belly j-up to arabesque then double braced hitch front flip dismount then two groups will tiwst down
Definitely find out which score sheets apply per competition (do your homework on what divisions to enter them in at which event according to skills) & note differences! Illegalities are the easiest deductions to avoid yet they will absolutely tank your score if tacked to your routine. I would honestly print out division rules guidelines for each competition you plan on attending and highlight your division on each one to compare.

At NCA type competitions, your pyramids sound like they would score decently in the intermediate level restrictions (except the flips would pull it up to advanced because illegal in intermediate). In the advanced division, it would score probably in the mid range. It looks on paper like a lot of releases but not many variations of difficulty if that makes sense (double braced back flip, double braced front flip, double braced releases). Make sure to have enough extended one leg structures & that those one leg stunts are fulling down at the end if advanced division (2 leg stunts fulling down in advanced wont get you the max points).

Awesome thank you so much I wanna give them what I have and work with it to see how they do then maybe amp it up a bit but I don't have many counts. But you were super helpful thanks so much !

Back