High School Pyramid Rules Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 23, 2013
I have a team of 11 girls, in MA, NFHS rules

Three stunt groups. Middle group and one side group are full groups (2 bases, flyer and spot). The other side group is double based, no back spot.

We are doing a braced back flip with continuous arm to arm contact to a cradle, and side bracers are in preps, but it states that side bracers must be in preps with a spotter.

I believe this is rule 2.5.4, but don't want them to get penalized for this if it's illegal! I believe it is just a double based stunt and therefore should be fine...Any thoughts?

Oh! And our Penalty message board says this:
Single-based prep spotter requirement CLARIFICATION
This spotter can remain under the foot. There is a rule that says spotters cannot hold under the
foot. Holding under the foot would make them a base. That changes this stunt to a double
based stunt, which does not need a spotter. If the stunt extends, this side person must either
switch to not be under the sole of the foot, or there would need to be another person in position
to spot the double based extended stunt.

to do a braced flip, you must have two bracers held in a double based stunt with a spotter. With 11, there is no legal way to do a braced flip if following NFHS rules. You have to have 12. Sorry.

Ok. Thank you.
My brain is exploding and I can't even comprehend the darn rule book anymore!
If this same group of 11 has the middle group go to an extension, can she do a ball back? Or does that count as a release and need two full groups on the sides as well...??! She does a 360 to a full, then I thought a ball back up to a full lib or hitch would work.
Then I thought the 360 to a suspended split, but that isn't legal either.
I'm trying to make this work, but little sleep and stress are making my brain mush...
:confused:
Maybe I'll just have her squish and go back up.

I don't know that rule book, but can you do two shoulder sits on the outsides instead of preps? Wouldn't think those would need spotters. I also have no idea what rules MD high schools follow, but several of our schools have done shoulder stands with a spotter behind-- maybe to get around this rule?

I don't know that rule book, but can you do two shoulder sits on the outsides instead of preps? Wouldn't think those would need spotters. I also have no idea what rules MD high schools follow, but several of our schools have done shoulder stands with a spotter behind-- maybe to get around this rule?
Nope they intentionally made it so you can't do a back tuck (inversion in general) pyramid without twelve. They state it somewhere but the outside has to be a prep
"2. Bracers for braced flips must be in extension preps.
(No more shoulder stands)"

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Last edited:
You can do a ball back with two shoulder stands with spotters, but any inversions have to be double based and spotted preps. I have a group of 10 so doing an advanced pyramid is difficult so I understand the lack of sleep.

Thanks for the answers all!
I was trying to max out their score sheet, but looks like I'll use my plan B. (Thank goodness I planned for two pyramids in the routine, that will help!)

Back