All-Star Question About Half Up/half Down Hair???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BlockHead

Cheer Parent
Sep 20, 2013
My CP's coach is thinking about possibly doing half up/half down hair for competitions. We will do whatever he wants, but I was wondering if it is harder to compete with your hair down like that. I am 100% not a tumbler, but I would think it would be more logical to have all of your hair back in a ponytail.

Thoughts????

My CP's coach is thinking about possibly doing half up/half down hair for competitions. We will do whatever he wants, but I was wondering if it is harder to compete with your hair down like that. I am 100% not a tumbler, but I would think it would be more logical to have all of your hair back in a ponytail.

Thoughts????
I personally don't like it because your hair is almost always in your face. And it's just a pain because your hair gets caught in flyers shoes or during the dance

Cp has competed both ways as well as with hair in a tight bun. We've found that as long as half up-half down is curled, it doesn't seem to fly in your face as much as when it is left straight. My personal preference is of course a high pony with a reasonable sized pouf now that cp can do it on her own.

I really disliked halfup halfdown becuase I tend to get hot and sweaty very easily and hate having my hair stuck to the back of my neck. It would also sometimes get stuck in my lipstick which was kinda gross.

I'm just a fan of having it up and out of the way. Whenever I work out I always have it up in a high doodoo style bun so it's not bothering me at all.

I have done both ways and my hair is short enough that I can wear half up half down but I do what I can to get it in a high pony tail so it is out of the way. My hair is just above my shoulders and it can get annoying

My CP hates half up /half down. Her hair goes half way down her bottom and it's thick. Even curled her hair goes everywhere. Not unusual for her to be tumbling and land on her hair. Luckily the last two years we have had high curled pony's,

Thoughts????

My daughter's team has done half up/half down and high pony's. I like the way half up/half down looks but think it could potentially be dangerous with very long hair. It can get pulled, caught on things, like bows and jewels, mess up tumbling, stepped on. But I think it looks good.
I don't like when people wear pony's and pull hair our in front of ears. That looks more sloppy to me than half up/half down.

The people on CA wildcats manage to make it through that extremely advanced routine w/ half up half down, and a lot of them have some really long hair from what I can tell in the video. It amazes me that someone doesn't loose a big clump of hair, but it must be okay ;).

I think it looks pretty and adds to the performance factor, but I'm just a parent, so I can't really speak for functionality.

The people on CA wildcats manage to make it through that extremely advanced routine w/ half up half down, and a lot of them have some really long hair from what I can tell in the video. It amazes me that someone doesn't loose a big clump of hair, but it must be okay ;).

I think it looks pretty and adds to the performance factor, but I'm just a parent, so I can't really speak for functionality.

My captain at university cheer said 'you have been told all your life for athletic activity to tie your hair back why should cheer be any different it just feels wrong' Safe to say we had pony tail with a small quiff and bow and worked well

We did it last year. We had one girl with hair down to her butt, so she put hers all up but she had so much hair you couldn't really tell. When you're competing you don't really notice it that much. As long as you actually pull up the whole front and not just the top/extra hair from the poof it shouldn't be in the way too much. I did try to breathe once right after a cradle and got my flyer's hair all in my mouth, but I survived.

I've had to do it for hs cheer before and its torture. It may be because its a longer time but is flipping around in our faces and getting stuck to our lipstick. I just prefer hair up for tumbling and stunting, it feels more comfortable to me.

After speaking to my daughter about last year competitions, since I do not remember a lot things in details due because of age -- she said that the coach was lenient with the hair until NCA... She said before NCA, the team was able to wear their hair, half-up/half-down all curly, but NCA and after, the girls wore their hair all up and curly, some wore poof, some wore one braid across the front and others nothing...

I've done pretty much every hair style possible. If going to be half up half down I would recommend it being curly as strands don't get stuck in your face/makeup as much. We had to do half up half down curly in college for every game/appearance/performance/competition, etc...

There's a reason it's called HALF up, so as long as you pull enough into your pony portion it shouldn't really cause any issues.

Back