Question For Backspots...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 3, 2011
I've been a base for 6 years and last lesson I got placed as a backspot.

I'm worried I'm going to loose all my muscle and it turn into fat. The only thing I can feel working is my core. Is that good or bad? I'm not a tumbler so I can't make up for it there.

I'm kinda on your boat, kinda..
I was a flyer for 12 years but at my new gym they just stuck me in as a backspot (I'm 5'6 & all the other girls are like 5'0 so I never got my chance) lol
But as a backspot I feel everything working just like when I flew. I love backspotting so much & I recently just tried basing :) No matter what position as long as you don't begin to slack you shouldn't loose you muscle! If you really feel the need to, just condition some more, it never hurts :)
Good luck!

Depending on your stunt group, a backspot might do a lot or do a little. I remember i used to basically hold up the stunt with one of my flyers, and the other I didn't. If your the 2nd option, just focus on really gripping/ trying to lift up a bit for your bases. You shouldn't lose any muscle if you work hard. :)

I've been a base for 6 years and last lesson I got placed as a backspot.

I'm worried I'm going to loose all my muscle and it turn into fat. The only thing I can feel working is my core. Is that good or bad? I'm not a tumbler so I can't make up for it there.
I've been a backspot for 6 of my 10 years, and I absolutely love it. It works EVERYTHING if you do it correctly. Especially when you have gimpy flyers...lol...you have to basically hold them up. My arms are manly because I have so much muscle...don't worry about losing muscle! You'll probably double it.

cool, thanks for the replies everyone :D
made me feel a whole lot better. i think i'll learn to like it more since i get to tell everyone what to do haha :p

I'm kinda on your boat, kinda..
I was a flyer for 12 years but at my new gym they just stuck me in as a backspot (I'm 5'6 & all the other girls are like 5'0 so I never got my chance) lol
But as a backspot I feel everything working just like when I flew. I love backspotting so much & I recently just tried basing :) No matter what position as long as you don't begin to slack you shouldn't loose you muscle! If you really feel the need to, just condition some more, it never hurts :)
Good luck!

you're gym is short! but that's probably more advantage than not :) i'm 5'7 and my two bases are taller than me :s hahahaha

you're gym is short! but that's probably more advantage than not :) i'm 5'7 and my two bases are taller than me :s hahahaha
Well they're all 10-13 & i'm 17... haha. But yeah! That was my problem everywhere else! I still fly for school & I'm taller than my whole stunt group :p (I'm technically 5'6 & 3/4 but I just keep it to 5'6 so I don't feel like a giant & maybe I can continue to fly) :D

If anything, being a backspot made me gain some muscle! :)
I advise just doing your regular workouts and conditioning and do a bit of weight lifting. You won't look like a bodybuilder! It really keeps you muscular and toned and will definitely help you while you're spotting!

Well being a backspot is a great workout for your arms and I got some muscle from it:D But if your a sucky backspot who doesn't pull up, you won't benefit much

I'm a backspot and I absolutely love it. Also, muscle is muscle and fat is fat. One cannot turn into the other. If you feel your core working that's great! Your core is one of the most important strength areas in sports---especially cheerleading. The backspot is important (like everyone else in the stunt group). A backspot can save your stunt and keep it in control. Focus on squeezing her ankle a lot so your flyer feels comfortable in the air! :)

As a back spot, I think you have the most muscle in your stunt group. I've been backing since I started cheer since I'm so tall. But a back spot should have really strong arms and shoulders. But every member of a stunt group is important. Backspots are like the lifesavers for a stunt. :) just make sure you focus on her ankle and lifting as much as you can to make it easier on the bases

On my old team, we had enough tall girls for me to be a base. I based for two years, and I loved it and was great at it. I also backed some too, because I'm 5'7. On my new competitive team and am always a back. For the first time in like 6 months, for fun I got to base again. It's honestly like what they say about riding a bioe, you dont forget it.
Honestly, I believe the backs are the most important job, and you really need to push the ankles up and together with ALL of strength. You'll have some amazing arms. And they call everything, you litterally save the flyers life countless times, and without you they cant get up.
Cheerleading works so many muscle groups, and since basing is mostly just legs, the jumps will still keep you in shape in that region.
Be honored you were switched, now you can be thrown in wherever, and you'll have killer legs AND awesome arms!

As a backspot, you should have just as much muscle as you did when you were a side base! I have been a back for 4 years, and I love it! You really have to stay strong and pull up as much as you can to help the side bases, and always watch your flyer. If you're afraid of losing muscle, you could always lift weights or do pushups too!:)

Back