Question For Backspots...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lift as much as you can! I've been a backspot forever, but I had to base for a few months when someone was out with an injury and my backspot just held the flyer and nearly killed my wrists. Backspots don't always get a lot of praise, but still pull up as much as possible. My shoulders and arms will still ache sometimes from hardcore stunts and my thighs will hurt from squatting for certain stunts. You definitely don't loose muscle as long as you're doing your job!

I've been a base for 7 years but I have fly on my college team. While I'm excited to take on this new challenege, I'm afraid I'll lose all my basing skills :(

You will get plenty of strength work as a back spot. I find with the increase of full ups and double ups the back spot role is becoming larger part of the success of stunts. Pull up and help your flyer be safe in the air. Make sure to increase the conditioning level for your core, shoulders, triceps and forearm muscles. You will be reaching away from your body more than in your role as main or side base this will put an increased demand your lower back requiring you to maintain a high level of core stability.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I wasn't expecting so many :p It was great to hear how passionate many of you are about your positions :) and thanks for all the tips!

Back