All-Star Question For Parents - At What Age?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mine started at 7, and between 8 and 9 started to take it seriously.

My 8yo daughter's weird in the sense that during practice she'll work her butt off, but getting her to do anything at home (like exercises or practicing her routine) is a chore. It's like when she's out of the gym, she's interested in other things, like music or books or hanging out with her friends. But when she's in the gym, her coaches rave about her work ethic and determination.

I started when I was 8 and the gym I was at was, well, I'm not going to say anything bad bad lets just say not very dedicated, therefore neither was I. I went to alot of tumbling class and ended up trying to teach myself alot by using a tumble track and pit... I was still loved cheering but as I got older it was just like "yea ok lets just go practice even though I know we wont win..." and especially after GA closed for a year because it was my dream to go to worlds with them. But my freshen year I stopped cheering and just did my highschool team (and that was a compleatly diffrent story and not a good one either...) but then Jamie moved the GA gym close to my house and I decided to go cheer for GA and thats when I realized how it feels to be at a gym that actually woks and cares! My first year with GA I had to relearn all of my tumbling to break my bad habbits... this will be my third season and this past year I was really really really dedicated and obsessed and worked really hard so I guess itwasnt until I came to GA that I got serious... btw I'm 17 now and started at GA when I was 15.

My 8yo daughter's weird in the sense that during practice she'll work her butt off, but getting her to do anything at home (like exercises or practicing her routine) is a chore. It's like when she's out of the gym, she's interested in other things, like music or books or hanging out with her friends. But when she's in the gym, her coaches rave about her work ethic and determination.

Sounds pretty well balanced! :)

Hahahaha You just described me to a t. I blame it on Newton's first law: An object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest. I'm lazy as can be when I don't have anything to do, but as soon as you get me going you can't stop me til it's perfect!

Hahahaha You just described me to a t. I blame it on Newton's first law: An object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest. I'm lazy as can be when I don't have anything to do, but as soon as you get me going you can't stop me til it's perfect![/quot
Hahahaha You just described me to a t. I blame it on Newton's first law: An object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest. I'm lazy as can be when I don't have anything to do, but as soon as you get me going you can't stop me til it's perfect!

inertia!

Well my daughter had just turned 5 February 2010, tryouts were in April of 2010. My daughter missed them I called in June about getting my daughter on a team and they said well what skill does she have I was like nothing! They said ok she will be a tiny. I took my daughter a couple
months and she liked it and was well
Behaved but didn't care or obsess over cheer. My daughter started picking up really fast and got her cartwheel and round off within a couple week and back walkover by end of July. So she was the first to get it on that team even ones from the year before didn't get it till after her.
There was another really good girl on the team. She was lead everything. Well after the first Jamfest competition the very next practice they rearranged it and my daughter was point most of routine so where there was a point it was her. Last one in tumbling sequence. I really started to see her get serious during that time.
My daughter wanted to work constantly at home. She does like back walkovers all over the mall and in walmart. I use to be worried about her bumping her head on concrete floor but she throws 1000s it don't bother me one bit. Towards the end of the season we had 1 competition left in march one of oldest girls on mini's who was like amazing could not make a certain competition and my daughter learned her spots which was like 90% up front within a month. Then I could tell my daughter was dedicated.
My 6 year old is obsessed with watching Whitney love "karma reruns 2" tumbling video. Even told one of the coaches to call her "love" because she wants to throw that "twisty thing" (double) like Whitney.
My daughter had been working her back handspring for the longest and finally got it. Just in time for tryouts. She made the mini team which is good because she will be with her age appropriate friends. Also she will be a cross over to youth 2 and she just turned 6. Now I haven't met all the girls yet so I'm not 100% on their ages (practice don't start till Monday) but I think the youngest girl on the team is turning 9 like very soon! So my daughter will just be the youngest but I'm so happy my daughter did it. She has told everyone she knows like 800 times for the last week and I let her know this is a huge privilege. I'm glad she is so dedicated!

Ps. Sorry I tend to right novels lol

I have the same kid!! My CP is six almost seven and we are beginning our fourth season. She has always tried harder than I would have ever imagined anyone her age would. But I think her real love of cheer kicked in this year when she got her BHS and killed it at competition. Also the realization that she has cool abilities that her non-cheer friends don't have has started to sink in. She has gained a lot of confidence this year and we work with her to keep her humble and modest. IMO once they really start to progress, make close friends and realize that they are special and talented is when the love and focus on cheer begins to kick in.

Back