Random Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 15, 2016
Im just wondering if this ever happened to anyone else or their child, and if they did any thing to help it....

Basically what happened is for some reason I’ve managed to psych my self out of throwing my running tucks. One day i was throwing my Round off tuck (on floor) and Bhs tuck (on tumble track) and the other day i just cant do it anymore. I can still throw standing tucks oddly enough, but running tucks are just a no go for me.

lol i don’t know whats wrong with me, most likely i’ll just have to get some one to spot me and re-work my courage. But i was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before

Do you have the BHS tuck on the floor or just the RO tuck? If you don't have it out if a BHS on the floor it might be the same issue as CP. The RO tuck forces the set in a way that a BHS doesn't and you don't have yo rely as much on technique and a proper set-pull sequence. CP went through this with BHS tuck on the tumble track as well before she had it on the floor. Her coach said he felt it was because she didn't have the technique 100% down and wasn't truly confident in herself yet because her technique wasn't 100% solid. They went back yo technique drills for the set, the knee pull, and the timing of both to build confidence in her body's ability to execute the skill and she was throwing on the track again in about a month.
This is a large part of the reason our gym doesn't teach RO tuck until BHS tuck is 100% solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only have my round-off tuck on floor, i think what your saying may be my problem; because as i started working my BHS tuck my roundoff-tuck became finicky i could still land it, it just wasn’t as good as i was used to. So maybe it was because i was so used to the set for my BHS tuck that i transferred it to my RO tuck? and thats when i started loosing confidence. also that would explain why my standing tuck has been unaffected. Anyways, thank you i’ll defiantly think about just going back to the basics to regain my confidence.

when I had a mental block on my ROHS tuck it really helped me to separate the skills and add them back on one at a time. I made sure that my ROHS was good and I could get a good set out of it, as well as my standing handspring. I then started with getting my standing tuck, then once I was comfortable with that, I added a handspring, so I then had standing handspring tuck. Then I just added a roundoff, and now I had my ROHS tuck back! I think this method helped me for two reasons: It allowed me to separate the skills, making it seem like 3 skills connected rather than a single skill. It also helped me because I knew that if I could land a standing tuck, then I could land a handspring tuck, and if I could land a handspring tuck then I could land a roundoff handspring tuck. :) hope I could be of some help

I suffered from mental blocks my entire cheerleading career. I got my BHS, then I suddenly started going crooked when I did them and that scared me so I was afraid to do them again and this vicious cycle kept repeating. It impacted me so much that I started my own recreational cheerleading program that specifically includes only the most basic of tumbling.

To get over a mental block, maybe try having the coach count and just do it when she/he counts to "1" (from 5,6,7,8) and not thinking about it... that worked for me for awhile.

Back