All-Star Rays Rumors Questions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
The other two threads by CEA and CA have worked well and actually gotten some people to PM me and ask questions about Rays. Seems only natural I start this thread. Ask anything.

Like: Why are there never any black girls on Orange?

Color, religion, or anything has never been a factor at our gym for any team ( though us democrats might be a minority). This year Orange happens to have a bit more variety anyway. (3 asians and then Angel). Orange has traditionally had a requirement of having to have been a Ray for one year so we know how you cheer. Through attrition and spot availability the team has just been what it is. We select our teams based on ability and work ethic. We couldn't care less what you look like if you have a good attitude and bust your butt!

Do you refer to your kids as a number, not a name?

I like this one. I'm TERRIBLE at learning names. It be even worse to learn people as numbers. Number 8932! Get tight!

I probably know about 250 of the 500 or so athletes. And I'm only there 2 days a week. Most know all of them or close to it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

How many hours a week does each team train for? Does it increase with level? Age?

Every team has a set two 2 hour practices a week. One on Sunday and one during the week. Closer to big competitions that will probably increase to three. Usually the little ones will add a Saturday morning while the older ones sometime during the week.

is it just a coincidence that all the flyers on orange have the same fierce haircut, or did they all plan it?

It's the girls themselves that get them. A couple years ago Oranges point flyer got one and really liked it, so one by one they became a small fad ( I wouldn't call it a tradition). I think they like them because they are cute haircuts and easier to manage on comp days.

how do your half year teams work? how many competitions do they go to ?

Half year teams are teams we start after we hold our rec league competition, the Halloween Jam. We offer it to rec league cheerleaders who want to dip their toe into the allstar worlds. We do a lot of talking at peewee football (they will usually allow you to setup a booth with the others) and at our rec league competitions and 'grip and grin' and just talk about our program and how it works. We make it very affordable, use Ray coaches, but make it way less stress. The uniform says Rays but is a good deal more cost affective. They only do one competition (though it has been discussed that they might do 2 at some point) and its near the end of their 6 month season and made to finish right before we start tryouts (convenient huh?). 90% of the girls we get have no idea what Rays is in the allstar cheerleading world. They just know we are an allstar cheerleading gym. Last year this program grew to be 170 kids.

Do you have crossovers at all?

I wrote out a really long response about why we don't use them, but it was a bit preachy. If you want it I will write it, but here is the short answer.

In general there are no crossovers. We build our program to go and compete at NCA, and they only allow crossovers on the same level and up to 5. We only use them in case of injury. We tried an experiment and made one team with set crossovers last year, Spice. I don't think we will be doing that again anytime soon (but who knows).

This is a bit of a random question but how many of those 170 kids tried out for full season teams for this season?

It varies from season to season. I think we had the lowest percentage tryout this year from it, but had the most returners TO the half year program. Half year teams never go above level 2 (on purpose). If you would like to try something higher must do a full year team, but lots of kids are happy to cheer and do their little half year team.

What makes the decision for a female athlete to be on orange, smoke, rays, rust etc...?

I will make this a general answer for all teams. This past tryout 20+ coaches spent 30+ hours dividing teams. We look at all the athletes that tryout, what skills we have, and decide what teams we can make. There is no requirement to make sure we have a certain team. If we didn't have the athletes for Orange or Smoke we wouldn't force the teams. When we build a team it is created to be as successful as possible. We don't sacrifice one team for another. Hence no Teal this year. For the senior level 5 teams the teams are chosen to be the best conglomerate of all the athletes that tried out. The requirements for each division are taken into account, and the team is built accordingly. It really isn't any more magical than that. Youth 2 is made to win as much as Senior 5.

Back