Really Bad Hair Day.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 30, 2011
Here's my issue I need some advise.2 weeks till Emerald Coast Blast (ends our season).The coaches on my daughters Mini L1 team spring a hair piece on us . Spiky scrunchi! Wait for it.................hair in a bun !Yes I said BUN !
I think it looks ridiculous ! I do not wont my 8 year old on stage looking like a fool .
I adore and respect her coaches. They know I am not pleased.I am to the point of not letting her go.I know its wrong and I would tell them tomorrow or Saturday. What do I do ????I am by no means going to say"If they wear their hair in a bun she wont be there".I'd rather tell them now so they can get a sub. I will lose the friendship of 3 fantastic people , and I am sure they wont let her cheer next season but I don't want my child on stage in front of a couple of hundred people with a bun in her waist length hair.Need some advise quick !

If this is your daughter's last competition, I would say just suck it up! It might end up being (and it sounds like is..) the ugliest hair she will ever compete in, but taking your daughter off stage and off of her team because you don't like the hair she has to wear is unfair to your daughter and her team! It's one competition, and she's a mini so they kinda look cute in everything!

Just think about what pulling your daughter from this competition would show her... Do you want to teach her that it's okay to refuse to do something and let your team down if you don't agree with something little?

This is when we as parents have to step back and remember it is NOT about us or our CP, but the team. If they all wear it, it's not a problem. If just a few do THEN someone is out of uniform. I can think of so many more things to be passionate about. Also think about the precedent you set as a parent ... what coach is going to want to work with you (or your child) when the REAL issues arrive -- believe me, the issues are coming.

We have used them in the past and they actually look really cute.

I would suck it up unless you want to be "that mom" and make things hard for your daughter in the future.

I'd suck it up. Imagine how your daughter would feel if you took her out? I don't think she'd be to happy with you. If cheerleading is what she loves to do you should respect that and not pull her out of a competition just because the hairs ugly. and don't get me wrong it sounds ugly, but I feel it's one competition at the end of her season. I'm pretty sure she wants to compete in it and doesn't care what she looks like..

This may sound harsh, but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of to even consider that. What a terrible parenting move. Like it was mentioned above, all this will show her is that if you don't like something or don't get your way, you just quit. Like you said yourself, you threaten your friendship with her coaches and the other parents in the gym, and her chance to cheer next season. All because you're worried she'll look silly? What does that teach her? That appearance is what matters. How shallow. Cheerleading is not about what uniform you wear, what your make-up looks like, or even what silly hairstyle you have to wear. It's about teamwork, athleticism, and fun. Wouldn't it be a shame to take that away from her for something as petty as a hairstyle?

This may sound harsh, but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of to even consider that. What a terrible parenting move. Like it was mentioned above, all this will show her is that if you don't like something or don't get your way, you just quit. Like you said yourself, you threaten your friendship with her coaches and the other parents in the gym, and her chance to cheer next season. All because you're worried she'll look silly? What does that teach her? That appearance is what matters. How shallow. Cheerleading is not about what uniform you wear, what your make-up looks like, or even what silly hairstyle you have to wear. It's about teamwork, athleticism, and fun. Wouldn't it be a shame to take that away from her for something as petty as a hairstyle?

:cheering: 4 for you glenn coco, you go glenn coco.

I would have to agree with the others. Would you not let her cheer if you didn't like the colors of her uniform or how she has to wear her make up? Or if they merged with another gym and changed their named? Would you pull her out then? These things are only superficial and so is wearing her hair in a bun... I think that there are so many other things to be uptight about and this shouldn't be one of them. Sorry if this is just plain honest, but think about how that sounds that you will tell the coach that she can't compete because you won't let her wear her hair up in a bun.

I agree with the others. If you don't like the hair piece and it's that big of an issue, don't go back next season. Finish out this one, though. You are punishing the ENTIRE team in the name of vanity. Not a good lesson to teach your child, IMO.

The look of the hairpiece and the fact that her hair is so long it will look like a big ball on her head.

Can't help you much on the hairpiece, as people have said, mini's look cute in anything (age appropriate). As far as the long hair, both me & my daughter had waist length hair up until the past couple weeks, mine lived in a bun - twist, twist, twist, and twist some more and wrap it around into the bun. Done right, it's so tight that even waist length fine-normal thickness hair will stay in firmly with a single ponytail elastic and won't be crazy big. If it's thick.... well, mine started having issues, (and I wanted to be able to wear it down without it tangling in 2 seconds) .... it may end up on the larger side, and you'll need to figure out what sort of pins/clips you can use to secure it. If you can't seem to get it right, figure out if any of the moms with longer hair used to do ballet, or their daughters with long hair do/did ballet, enlist their help. They'll know.

And they're a team. If others don't like the look, they'll judge that as the team, not individuals. When people here comment on certain uniforms on larger cheerleaders, they're not judging the girl or the parent, but the decision of the team's leaders to subject the children to those particular uniforms, knowing the girls that are on their team. If in the insanity that is a competition, one person picks your [6, 7, 8? year old] daughter out of all the rest of the craziness to go "ohmygosh look at the huge bun on that child's head", they're the one with issues, not you for putting her in the team costume (yes, hair's part of the costume), nor your daughter for having hair! Likely if they comment it will be in awe of how you managed to defy gravity :)

Is it fair for a coach to make 22 girls look stupid ? The hairstyle will work for some of the girls but not for others. I am not the only parents complaining !I completely agree with the fact that cheer leading is about teamwork, athleticism and fun.But if that's "all" it is about. Why all the glitter,the make-up(1 of the new coaches wont let them wear it by it by the way) the hair spray etc...You get the point! This is a team that won 12 consecutive national titles in past years and has placed dead last in everything they have done this season.Place dead last in our last competition in early Feb. and have practiced 4 times since then.So maybe this is just the straw that broke it for me. However if it had nothing to do with the glitz and glamour!It wouldn't be a part of it. Your team looks incredible.Would you take them to nationals looking like crap. Seriously doubt that !

I really think you're overreacting about hair. They're a mini team, they don't care how they look and it's not going to matter in a year from now anyway. If you don't like it, fine. But don't pull your daughter off of the team just because of hair pieces. Stick it out for the rest of the season and then don't go back if it upsets you that much.

Back