All-Star Rebel Takes On Goliath

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CookieMomster

Cheer Parent
Feb 19, 2014
Marketing and communications are my passion, and I love watching a good "David & Goliath" battle and cheering on the little guy. This article came out recently about Rebel and their challenges as a Start-Up company. What struck me was their innovation with their Dream Bus at NCA this past weekend and the back story to it (and how they got away with it being so close to NCA). Great food for thought in the never-ending Varsity vs. Everybody Else battle. I had no idea they were so new (around 2013). CP has team practice wear from them and loves it.

Inside the Vicious, Vicious Cheerleader Wars

ETA: Love how the documentary that they're filming is on bullying! lol

Last edited:
That was a very interesting article! CP's uniform and practice wear are Rebel and both are very pretty and fit well. She recently wanted a new backpack for cheer and after looking at a few sites decided that the new Rebel dream bag in sparkly magenta was just perfect:). She got it last week and I have to say it is very nice and she is quite thrilled with it.

Marketing and communications are my passion, and I love watching a good "David & Goliath" battle and cheering on the little guy. This article came out recently about Rebel and their challenges as a Start-Up company. What struck me was their innovation with their Dream Bus at NCA this past weekend and the back story to it (and how they got away with it being so close to NCA). Great food for thought in the never-ending Varsity vs. Everybody Else battle. I had no idea they were so new (around 2013). CP has team practice wear from them and loves it.

I still don't understand how Varsity is getting away with this. It seems to me that Varsity is violating anti-trust laws. Maybe there is an attorney on the boards that can clarify this? There is nothing wrong with Varsity owning a 90% of the "cheer market," but they are in complete control of the price of the products in the market and buying out and then closing competing businesses. I am sure acquiring its largest competitor was Varsity's main motivation for acquiring Jam Brands, and being able to push Rebel (their largest uniform rival) off of the Jam Brands stage at the same time was the icing on the cake.

I don't have any problem with Varsity products, but I would like to have other options. Options make better prices and quality.

I have to say that I find the owner of Rebel's drive incredibly inspirational. She seems like a worthy opponent of Varsity.

I still don't understand how Varsity is getting away with this. It seems to me that Varsity is violating anti-trust laws. Maybe there is an attorney on the boards that can clarify this? There is nothing wrong with Varsity owning a 90% of the "cheer market," but they are in complete control of the price of the products in the market and buying out and then closing competing businesses. I am sure acquiring its largest competitor was Varsity's main motivation for acquiring Jam Brands, and being able to push Rebel (their largest uniform rival) off of the Jam Brands stage at the same time was the icing on the cake.

I don't have any problem with Varsity products, but I would like to have other options. Options make better prices and quality.

I have to say that I find the owner of Rebel's drive incredibly inspirational. She seems like a worthy opponent of Varsity.

This is my big problem with varsity in the UK because their uniforms are more expensive than UK brands but everyone think they need to spend lots to stay relevant but they don't

ETA: Love how the documentary that they're filming is on bullying! lol
1) That article title. Ugh

2) I am SO proud of Karen.

That was a very interesting article! CP's uniform and practice wear are Rebel and both are very pretty and fit well. She recently wanted a new backpack for cheer and after looking at a few sites decided that the new Rebel dream bag in sparkly magenta was just perfect:). She got it last week and I have to say it is very nice and she is quite thrilled with it.
After buying CP the sparkle Nfinity bag for Christmas, I wish I had seen the Rebel bag. The Nfinity bag doesn't have any pockets and there's no place to quickly put the water bottle. I'm loving the Rebel design but we're stuck with what we have a while now.

I agree with you on the title @Official OWECheer. I thought it was your typical cheerleader article until I read it. Very misleading.

1) That article title. Ugh

2) I am SO proud of Karen.

I agree about the title, but honestly behind the scenes that is what they are. We just like to think they they are all unicorns, rainbows and ice cream conversations and deals. As has often been said this is a business and the business side is ...well...ruthless.

I am hoping that people will open their eyes and see what is going on. This is not a slam nor slight, just an observation of facts. This time in print from someone not owned by Varsity.

I don't have time to read the article---can someone cliff note me on what the Dream Bus was?

After buying CP the sparkle Nfinity bag for Christmas, I wish I had seen the Rebel bag. The Nfinity bag doesn't have any pockets and there's no place to quickly put the water bottle. I'm loving the Rebel design but we're stuck with what we have a while now.

I agree with you on the title @Official OWECheer. I thought it was your typical cheerleader article until I read it. Very misleading.

After this season, I'm gonna eBay our Nfinity bag and buy a Rebel one.

I don't think this is the last we will hear of Varsity's far reaching monopoly. And what I really find interesting is the article says that "own gyms". Wow. I would love to know which ones.

My granddaughter had an Nfinity back pack her gym forbid her to use at competitions. She could only use a Varsity product. So we were forced to buy a different backpack. (She is no longer at that gym and can use any backpack she wishes).

I don't think this is the last we will hear of Varsity's far reaching monopoly. And what I really find interesting is the article says that "own gyms". Wow. I would love to know which ones.

My granddaughter had an Nfinity back pack her gym forbid her to use at competitions. She could only use a Varsity product. So we were forced to buy a different backpack. (She is no longer at that gym and can use any backpack she wishes).
Pretty sure they own the Premier gyms

There are many gyms owned by Varsity, and it's not much of a secret. Off the top of my head, Premier comes to mind and they have multiple gyms in the TN/KY area.

It's totally a conflict of interest, but until everyone in this industry takes a stand nothing will change. You are either with Varsity or you are out, but if you are out your options are minimal.
Sorry, fixed my post meant to say I don't see how it's NOT a COI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section 2 of the Sherman Act makes it unlawful for a company to "monopolize, or attempt to monopolize," trade or commerce. As that law has been interpreted, it is not illegal for a company to have a monopoly, to charge "high prices," or to try to achieve a monopoly position by what might be viewed by some as particularly aggressive methods. The law is violated only if the company tries to maintain or acquire a monopoly through unreasonable methods. For the courts, a key factor in determining what is unreasonable is whether the practice has a legitimate business justification.
Single Firm Conduct | Federal Trade Commission

Back