Rebounding Into Stunt Drills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
My HS Varsity team is starting to work on these as an entrance into kick full baskets. How have some of you taught this skill to your team? Any helpful drills?

When my girls tried the skill the flyers were scared to rebound out of the handpsring, and they aslo struggled with getting to the bases. Flyers should really have to aim towards the stunt group in her hurdle, have a really good high rebound and let the bases come to her. Also try rebounding into a squish before the basket grip just so they can get the mechanics of the stunt istelf.

When my daughter has done them in the past she was told to rebound as high as she could, and the bases would come to her. Obviously in her rebound she would fly back some but it was the bases job to kind of grab her and get her where she needed to be.

With that being said, these girls have to have good rebounding skills. I see some girls who tumble so dead that to rebound out of their round off, or BHS they are basically standing up out of those skills from the bent over position therefore not really creating any power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working with a flyer right now on this except to a cradle position. She's the most amazing tumbler, but her rebounds leave something to the eye. I keep telling her to rebound high and make sure she becomes a flyer at that point (get tight) as she tends to flop into the bases arms. She shouldn't throw herself backwards but rather up. The bases should move to catch the flyer and the backspot is crucial in this part, they need to help guide and absorb the flyers weight.

Biggest problems for our girls was fear. Fear of hurting the bases, not getting high enough, not getting to the right point,...
That led to them being very careful and thus not creating a good rebound. They also tended to pull their knees up in order to make sure they reached the bases hands, which of course cut off the remaining rebound completely.

Flyers basically have to imagine that there are no bases waiting for them and just go for their tumbling pass...

Bases in turn have to react quickly to where the flyer is heading and then make sure they don't lean/step out for fear of getting hit.

Back