Recovery Time Of A Distal Tibia Fracture?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 12, 2014
My 11 yr. old daughter ended up a distal tibia fracture on 9/2 and in the process squeezed her growth plate, but no apparent damage. She was in a short leg cast for 5 weeks and was just put into a boot. She was told she could put only light pressure on that foot as tolerated because tibia was not completely healed.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea of the length of time for the recovery of this injury? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. :)

My 11 yr. old daughter ended up a distal tibia fracture on 9/2 and in the process squeezed her growth plate, but no apparent damage. She was in a short leg cast for 5 weeks and was just put into a boot. She was told she could put only light pressure on that foot as tolerated because tibia was not completely healed.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea of the length of time for the recovery of this injury? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. :)
@King @ACEDAD
Figured you guys would be able to help.

How long did the doctor recommend she be in the boot? What is the next step toward recovery after the boot (if one is needed)? Those are the questions I would be asking - to the doctor. I would think every injury has it's own recovery time, especially if the growth plate was involved.

This one I got nothing. Assume 6 months and when its less you will be happy!

But I have never dealt with that before.

It can take a couple months to heal sometimes, longer if the growth plate is involved or if the ankle joint itself is damaged, but everybody is different. I would go with what the doctor says and ask them questions about her recovery. Kids tend to heal pretty well, but the tibia can take a while.

Thank you. Unfortunately, her Dr gives us very little information. So this part of the problem. I had to push him to give me the approximate time she would be out of cheer. Of course he has has no idea what she actually does. We go back Friday, so I am hoping to get more info.

Thank you. Unfortunately, her Dr gives us very little information. So this part of the problem. I had to push him to give me the approximate time she would be out of cheer. Of course he has has no idea what she actually does. We go back Friday, so I am hoping to get more info.

I clicked on AO Foundation link after I googled Distal tibia fracture, won't link it because I am not giving a medical opinion of any kind, but if you click what kind of distal tibia fracture it is, it has recommended lengths of time. You can also select how it has been treated so far, which I believe you mentioned a cast. Ask your doctor Friday if you don't know exactly what kind of fracture it was.

I would not rush things. Always presume that if the doctor or a website says 6-8 weeks that it will be at least eight. This is one of those situations, as in the injury thread in allstar, where time is needed to heal. It is more important to heal properly than quickly.

My oldest CP had a distal tibia fracture that involved the growth plate as well back in early 2012. However, her growth plate had already closed so there was no concern in that area. The injury occurred on January 14th. She was released to "activities as tolerated" on April 5th I believe. It was a month to a month and a half after that before she was back to full tumbling (arabian to doubles, standing fulls, etc.)

Short leg cast for 6 weeks
Walking cast for 2 weeks
Boot for 3 1/2 weeks

I hope this helps.

McLovin

As an athletic trainer, I deal with this on the regular. With All Star cheer, the recovery time can be different because of the tremendous amounts of force on impact during tumbling. It also depends on what exactly happened at the growth plate. If the fracture was at or through the growth plate, that is a Salter-Harris fracture, and is much more complicated. If the growth plate was compressed, the concerns are more long term than short (possibility of future growth discrepancies).
Because the tibia is the weight bearing bone of the lower leg, you should expect 6 weeks non-weight bearing on crutches in a cast, then progressing into weight bearing with a walking cast or boot for a few weeks after that. Then gradual return to tumble.
The biggest things you need to focus on is returning range of motion and strength as soon as you are allowed to begin that work. Proper rehab will do a world of good and prevent future injury due to compensations made from lack of ROM.

Back