High School Regions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I noticed that the Southern United States has the most cheerleading talent IMO with the likes of University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, Morehead State University, University of Alabama, Louisiana State University, University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, UCF, Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, Greenup County High School, Graves County High School, Arlington High School, Dyer County High School, Sebring High School, Westview High School, Houston High School, and many others dominating the National Championship while the Northwestern U.S. is pretty scarce (though Washington State University is making progress). Is it true that cheerleading is big in some regions and not others?

Is it true that cheerleading is big in some regions and not others?
Definitely. The Northwest and mid north don't have any powerhouses in cheerleading. Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, Idaho, the Dakotas, and Northern California don't really have any big names in cheerleading, at the college or high school level. While there are a few teams in their respective states that go to UCA/NCA, I don't think any school in those areas have won anything, at least not very recently. I don't know too much about other states, but in Northern California, we have one serious competitive collegiate cheer team (Sac State) and one competitive high school (California HS). Both compete UCA, Sac State may do really well this year but Cal High typically doesn't make it to finals, but they're one of the few teams west coast HS teams to go to UCA.
Also just some speculation here, but I think why Northern California lacks so much as compared to Southern California, is there are no big all star gyms up here. Down South, you have PCM, Cali, CheerForce, and loads of smaller gyms. These programs feed into the surrounding high schools (Mater Dei, El Dorado, etc) and those eventually feed into local competitive colleges (CBU, OCC, Palomar.) Plus, if the athlete is super good, they're going to go to the South where the super competitive teams are. It's the same concept with big gyms attracting talented athletes from smaller gyms because they have the titles and the rings. Small gyms can't yield super competitive teams if the talented athletes go to a big gym. Same idea with college cheer. Not saying it's good or bad, that's just how it is.

Oregon does have university of Oregon which has always had lots of partner stunting(my partner from allstar cheers there now and we are so happy for him) however the high schools aren't real big. There is sunset high school which has a lot of girls from ODT but even then it's standard compared to the rest of the country

Oregon does have university of Oregon which has always had lots of partner stunting(my partner from allstar cheers there now and we are so happy for him) however the high schools aren't real big. There is sunset high school which has a lot of girls from ODT but even then it's standard compared to the rest of the country
Does Oregon compete now, or are they still sideline? I think the OP was talking mainly about competitive teams...

Does Oregon compete now, or are they still sideline? I think the OP was talking mainly about competitive teams...
I know they are thinking about it, according to my friend they've been going back and forth between all girl and coed. I'd love to see them compete!

I know that Washington State University is competing at the UCA College Nationals now. Their mascot (Butch T. Cougar qualified 2nd at the UCA College Mascot video entry).

Back