All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How about this scenario....at another relatively local gym (late fall, but prior to first competition) they decide to downsize one of the World's teams due to lack of talent and make another World's team with those athletes and some from lower levels. One athlete decides that even though they are still on the original team, this is not what they contracted for (expected to compete on a larger team) and wanted to leave. They had contacted other areas gyms to meet the staff, but had not been placed on a team or tried out. Their original gym found out (they always do) and refused to release them and then removed them from the original team and said they would now be on the "lower level" World's team. This athlete (and their parents) have now had to either move forward on the new team or lose the year competing. This is not the first time I have heard of these type of actions, but find it DISGUSTING that a gym owner would be that vindictive. I totally agree with having waivers, but there needs to be something for the athletes/parents too. Gyms are "providing a product", but WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS and when we sign a contract, we are held to the requirements. Gyms should be too! Changing the "rules" in the middle of the season should allow for the customer to void the contract as well and get a waiver if needed. I don't know understand the gym "mind-set" that they are doing athletes and their parents a favor by allowing them to pay for this extremely expensive sport and that they can do whatever they want once they get a signature on a contract back in June.

I think this area isn't as black and white as we would all like to make it...

Hypothetical scenario: Billy Jim Bob is on Random Elite's Small Coed team. One of 3 boys. Team has 19 total athletes. Small gym. 2nd year fielding a Worlds team. Goal this year is top 10. There are no other coed teams at this gym. RE earned a partial paid bid to Worlds.

Late February and Billy Jim Bob comes to RE coach/owner "Hey coach, I don't know if you watch their video blog, but Big Name Elite had one of their boys get hurt and I sent in a video and they want me to come be on their team now. My dream has always been to win Worlds and Big Name Elite has a way better chance than we do...Can I have a release please?"

- Is money paid up? Not an issue here as Billy Jim Bob has been participating at RE free of charge. Parents and team have held fundraisers all year to help finance travel, uniforms, etc. for several athletes (including Billy Jim Bob) who didn't have financial means for this expensive sport.
- RE has no other boys at the program (other than the 3) They have 18 other kids who have worked all year towards their Worlds goal and going with 2 boys is really going to hurt their chances of making their goal of top 10.

So what does RE's coach do? Not granting the release may very well cause disaster if Billy Jim Bob up and quits or just stops trying. Granting the release, however, means happiness for Billy Jim Bob, but does it set a future precedence for RE's athletes to jump ship if a "better more likely to medal at Worlds" offer comes along? And what does it mean for the remaining 18 kids this year?

Yes, there are clear cut times when a release should be granted. But I believe there are also situations where it isn't so clear cut.

Out of pure curiosity, I have a couple of questions that I realize you are not under any obligation to answer.
Has this always been your program's policy in regards to alternates?
Are your alternates also on another (non-Worlds) team in the gym?
Was the new athlete from a previous program who had released him/her?
If you did not have this other athlete join your program a month ago, do you think you would have used one of your other alternates and pulled the one who was not throwing the skills required?

I have no problem answering. This is a new process for us, but as I said, Its been very successful.

This has not always been our policy. We learned from several coaches conferences that having alternates may help our team go to the next level.

Out of the alternates, one competes on Level 4, one doesn't compete on another team, and the other just came to us.

The new athlete was from a previous program but she didnt compete with them this past season.

If we didnt get a new athlete a month ago, we would still make a decision for the best 19 to make the best possible routine.

If you have 3 alternates that all have been "good enough" to compete on the team at some point this year, why only use 19? Why not put the best 20 athletes on the floor?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Scoresheet wise - 19 has been a great number to compete with. It lowers our tumbling quantity a bit and really doesn't effect pyramid as much as I previously thought. (We competed with 16 last year). Plus we don't have a "5th" flyer so we are quote happy with 4 stunts up in the air (no front spots) that are all throwing our "elite" stunt. If we did have a 5th flyer she would probably be faking anything. We just didnt get any flyers this year. Also, we have a full paid bid that we earned with 19 so we couldn't add an extra person if we wanted.

Yes. We actually replaced an athlete on Tuesday this week. This athlete happened to be replaced by an athlete who came in to our program a month ago. Tons of talent and the new athlete worked to get conditioned and ready to compete. Replaced athlete was not throwing skills required. Replaced athlete quit. By replaced, I mean the athlete was an alternate. We also have other alternates on the team. (3 total to be exact, three now since they quit). Every single alternate has competed on the mat with the team when we got our Partial Paid and when we got our Full Paid. I teach the kids about accountability and keeping their skills up to par. We made it clear at the beginning of the year there would be alternates on the team and the 'Best 19' will always be on the mat. The best 19 have rotated all year long. As we prep for Worlds, we replaced an athlete Tuesday and if need be, we will replace an athlete tomorrow if need be. Point is, its the best our program has looked and our kids are eager. Its a great competitive environment. If an alternate wanted a release form a week before Worlds, and AGAIN, sat down in a professional setting stating why, etc. - I would probably give it.
Just curious here. You would give an alternate a release but what about an athlete who had a regular spot on the team?

Also, if an alternate swaps out with a regular spot person does the replaced person automatically become an alternate?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android where only TX cheer drama can be deleted

Scoresheet wise - 19 has been a great number to compete with. It lowers our tumbling quantity a bit and really doesn't effect pyramid as much as I previously thought. (We competed with 16 last year). Plus we don't have a "5th" flyer so we are quote happy with 4 stunts up in the air (no front spots) that are all throwing our "elite" stunt. If we did have a 5th flyer she would probably be faking anything. We just didnt get any flyers this year. Also, we have a full paid bid that we earned with 19 so we couldn't add an extra person if we wanted.
Definitely seems like you made the right choice for your team! Thanks for explaining, I get it now. Good luck at Worlds! I'll be rooting for you guys from my house!

Another situation where an athlete should NOT be released (in my opinion):
This is the 2nd year “Suzie” has been on the team with Gym A (she left Gym B to come to Gym A). This is also the 2nd year that Suzie has been fully scholarshipped by Gym A, now also keep in mind that Suzie’s brother Stevie was also fully scholarshipped by Gym A. A couple of situations happened with Gym A and now Suzie quit Gym A 6 weeks before Worlds. Then BFF of Suzie also quit Gym A. Suzie’s mom called one of the other Athletes parents and tried to convince them to pull Sally flyer from Gym A. Suzie then contacted Gym A asking for a release so that she could go to Gym B so that she could go to Worlds. Gym A said No. Suzie’s mom contacted Gym A in a not so nice way… Suzie’s brother also contacted Gym A in a not so nice way, both demanding Gym A sign release form. Gym A has responded and stated that if Suzie wants to finish her year at Worlds she still has a spot with Gym A.
:banghead:

What does fully scholarshipped mean? Does that mean they don't have to pay tuition, comp fees, uniform, etc... I would think that would create some bitterness between families at that gym.

Just curious here. You would give an alternate a release but what about an athlete who had a regular spot on the team?

Also, if an alternate swaps out with a regular spot person does the replaced person automatically become an alternate?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android where only TX cheer drama can be deleted

A release would be situational. Is the athlete coming in to have a meeting with me professionally with their parents? Or are they just going to quit, bad mouth me and the program and then demand a waiver and say its not fair? I would more than likely release ANYONE who schedules a meeting like I stated earlier.

To answer your last question, the replaced person automatically becomes an alternate. We have been upfront all year… I have Out of the 22 kids, I have 19 on the mat. 20 kids throw all level 5 skills (2 to full, running full, Jump Tuck, etc). So if one of those 'tumblers' cant hit a skill, I have room to put in a level 4 kid who can make a stunt hit. Make sense?

What does fully scholarshipped mean? Does that mean they don't have to pay tuition, comp fees, uniform, etc... I would think that would create some bitterness between families at that gym.

Yes, to some extent and it happens fairly often- particularly on coed teams. We often called it the 'double full' scholarship on here- be a boy, go to a gym with a double full, cheer for free. Sometimes there are compensations- they teach classes/coach a team, clean the gym, etc. Sometimes nothing. Depends on the situation. From what some people have said it's not a problem- but I'd assume it's not a problem so long as the boy stays at the program. But if you have no obligation fiscally, I can imagine it's much easier to break ties. Which therefore becomes a problem.

Back