High School Requirements For Captain Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Wondering how everyone chooses captains! I am not the biggest fan of having 1-2 girls "in charge", but I am considering it for this years JV and Varsity teams.

I am thinking of having anyone who wants to try out for Captain list it on their tryout sheet. They will have to make up an original sideline cheer that would be appropriate for a game (basketball or football). Also considering 2-3 questions they would have to answer about what they would do in certain situations, why they feel they are qualified, etc.

What does your school do? Are you against or for captains?

We have had captains in the past and it has been nothing but trouble. I took a vote this year after some major drama last year surrounding it and every girl wanted them so i said ok we can have them. We were supposed to vote today on them (they pick two captains, i pick one) but after the behaviors of a few on social media this past week, i will be revisiting whether or not we will be havin captains.

I'm curious how other teams decide who becomes captains. Also, if you don't have captains how do you determine who calls the cheers on the sidelines?

The coach had the girls vote. Then, she picked the captain.

When I say she picked, I mean the girl with the most votes is not captain. The girl who the coach wanted for captain is the captain.

The highest vote getter didn't even get a co-captain spot. She did gather the votes and see that she got the most.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@lisa G With the program that I coach, anyone can call a cheer on the sidelines at any time. They do an "intro" like any captain would do so the girls know what cheer is being called, and the entire group joins in. It works well because everyone gets a chance to pick what cheer they want to do, and you aren't stuck with captains who might have forgotten some options.

I'll probably use my JV (2) and Varsity (2) captains to run stretching at the beginning of practice, be peers who can keep everyone in check when I get tired of reprimanding for talking etc., make sure everyone knows of any last minute practice changes, and give inspirational speeches before they hit the floor for district and state competitions.

Any other duties that I should give them?

The coach had the girls vote. Then, she picked the captain.

When I say she picked, I mean the girl with the most votes is not captain. The girl who the coach wanted for captain is the captain.

The highest vote getter didn't even get a co-captain spot. She did gather the votes and see that she got the most.

That happened my daughter's first year in high school. The old coach had them vote and when her daughter and daughter's friend didn't win she appointed them anyway.

We have had captains in the past and it has been nothing but trouble. I took a vote this year after some major drama last year surrounding it and every girl wanted them so i said ok we can have them. We were supposed to vote today on them (they pick two captains, i pick one) but after the behaviors of a few on social media this past week, i will be revisiting whether or not we will be havin captains.

I'm curious how other teams decide who becomes captains. Also, if you don't have captains how do you determine who calls the cheers on the sidelines?
Well 2 answers 1) our coaches pick the captains 2) we circle around our formation and each person calls a cheer

Well 2 answers 1) our coaches pick the captains 2) we circle around our formation and each person calls a cheer

I picked the captains last year as the previous year i allowed the girls to vote and halfway through the season they wanted to "fire" them for doing nothing. We'll that turned out to be a failure as the girl that didn't get captain because she did nothing the previous year complained and three weeks before the end of the season i was told i had to appoint her Captain for the remainder of the season....UMM, NO...i instead chose to do away with the captains completely to satisfy the administration without "rewarding" the complainer who sucked as captain. That is why i am very hesitant to even have them this year.

I picked the captains last year as the previous year i allowed the girls to vote and halfway through the season they wanted to "fire" them for doing nothing. We'll that turned out to be a failure as the girl that didn't get captain because she did nothing the previous year complained and three weeks before the end of the season i was told i had to appoint her Captain for the remainder of the season....UMM, NO...i instead chose to do away with the captains completely to satisfy the administration without "rewarding" the complainer who sucked as captain. That is why i am very hesitant to even have them this year.
If you have girls who you think are good leaders, would make good captains, and do a lot for the team, make them captains. It doesn't have to be all our nothing. You could make it case by case system. Like ours are VERY obvious this year, and they haven't even been chosen yet. They're both 4-years, one was an All-American last year (and the only one to be one on the team) they're both extremely positive and encouraging, and we've already got a TON of plans for what we're doing around the school, and for teams other than our football team. Almost completely because of them

In the past we've never had requirements. My first year the coach picked, last year we voted (but I'm pretty sure she just picked the ones she wanted anyway). This year we don't have any, at least thus far we don't. Last year it was nothing but trouble, but that's not why we don't have them, as we have a new coach. The problem last year was the people (12 seniors who all thought they should get to boss everyone around, captains who let their perceived power get to their heads) and the coach (let it happen, encouraged the "seniors should get everything they ever want and be in the front and get to do what they want" attitude, didn't care about any underclass men or the team in general, and favored captains). Despite that experience, I don't think captains are bad if you choose wisely! They can be really great, and it is good for those seniors to put as leadership experience on applications.

If you have girls who you think are good leaders, would make good captains, and do a lot for the team, make them captains. It doesn't have to be all our nothing. You could make it case by case system. Like ours are VERY obvious this year, and they haven't even been chosen yet. They're both 4-years, one was an All-American last year (and the only one to be one on the team) they're both extremely positive and encouraging, and we've already got a TON of plans for what we're doing around the school, and for teams other than our football team. Almost completely because of them

We have one girl on our team that fits all of the things you list above (plus our only all-star cheerleader and only tumbler) but i can't pick her because she is my daughter and everyone assumes that is the reason. UGH this is the most stress i have had all year (even more than picking our bow)....

I am starting to lean towards not having them just because it is already causing drama amongst the girls and we haven't even voted yet.....

We have one girl on our team that fits all of the things you list above (plus our only all-star cheerleader and only tumbler) but i can't pick her because she is my daughter and everyone assumes that is the reason. UGH this is the most stress i have had all year (even more than picking our bow)....

I am starting to lean towards not having them just because it is already causing drama amongst the girls and we haven't even voted yet.....
Do you have assistants? Honestly, at my school, the assistants do more work than the "head" coach. I'm sure that's not your situation, as you seem like a dedicated, driven coach, but I've always seen assistants as coaches who have a better chance at getting close to the girls. Maybe they can help decide?

no assistants, no parent volunteers, no support from the administration, nothing but me and the girls...

I don't have requirements- I kind of like waiting to see who naturally takes a leadership role on the team. This year I can already tell who it will be. Sometimes if you put too much emphasis into voting/requirements it turns the captain role into something it isn't.

At my school we have 2 captains per team (JV Cheer & Song, V Cheer & Song). Our coach asks anyone who wants to be captain and has had at least one year of experience on our school's team to choreograph a 4 8 count routine. All candidates perform their routine for the entire squad and then teach everyone 2 8 counts so out coach can evaluate their teaching and leading skills. Candidates also have to write a 1-2 page essay on why they believe they are qualified to be captain and turn it into our coach. Our coach then conducts individual interviews with each candidate. Team members vote for their top 2 candidates they want to be captain, but my coach has final say in who she chooses.
As far as I know, there has never been any drama except for a few sore egos once captains are announced, but that resolves itself by the time practices start back up again.

Back