OT Roommate Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
a6937895-1b9a-5755.jpg

Like others said, a chore list is probably your best option. That way, the responsibility is clearly laid on each person and when something doesn't get done, it's clear who's slacking. Split up easy chores like dishes and taking out the garbage and rotate those on a weekly basis. Split your common areas up and make each person responsible for keeping their assigned area tidy, washing/vacuuming, dusting, etc in that area. What he's doing is obnoxious but he might honestly not really realize what he's doing (or not doing), and on the flip side, maybe there are a few things that he actually does do on a regular basis that you and your roommate may neglect and not even realize (hey, anything is possible). Plus, actually understanding what does into cleaning the place might help him adjust his habits to be less messy to begin with.

The snotty side of me want to suggest you get a special "Harry" garbage can and if you have a sink with 2 basins, designate half of it to him. Tell him if he doesn't want to deal with your things, he can have his own special things to neglect. That should create even more friction and tension!

I'm hoping my roommate Caiti comes home tonight so we can have the conversation I wanted to have yesterday, as neither Nadine nor his sister is in the house (that way it's just roommates with no outside influences). I think it's hardest for me to deal with, as Caiti is currently gone so much with Ren fair and spending time with her Not-Boyfriend. I'm the one who's stuck in the house dealing with his 'tude and comments. She gets annoyed at his bs, but she's not personally affected.

A chore list needs to be done, as it's stupid that my bff is cleaning this apt (she did all the floors and the entire bathroom yesterday) while he has his little tiff about his hypocrisy. *sigh* I'm trying to remember my new motto: Direct Adult Relationships, full of Honesty, Trust, and Understanding.

I whole heartedly feel so bad for you!! I spend the (waaaaaay -_-) extra money to live alone...and it kinda sucks cause I love having company but its stuff like this that makes me not want a roomate ever

I'm hoping my roommate Caiti comes home tonight so we can have the conversation I wanted to have yesterday, as neither Nadine nor his sister is in the house (that way it's just roommates with no outside influences). I think it's hardest for me to deal with, as Caiti is currently gone so much with Ren fair and spending time with her Not-Boyfriend. I'm the one who's stuck in the house dealing with his 'tude and comments. She gets annoyed at his bs, but she's not personally affected.

A chore list needs to be done, as it's stupid that my bff is cleaning this apt (she did all the floors and the entire bathroom yesterday) while he has his little tiff about his hypocrisy. *sigh* I'm trying to remember my new motto: Direct Adult Relationships, full of Honesty, Trust, and Understanding.

I have no advice for you other than to say that I completely get it, I was in a situation with two roommates like yours. I live with my boyfriend now, and I'm not afraid to tell him to do the damn dishes, but if I ever had to go back to a roommate situation again, I would definitely only have one, not two.

Fortunately, my 3rd roommate was just kind of oblivious about the fact that we did all the chores and never tried to say she did them all. She did justify never buying toilet paper by saying "well aren't you guys rich?" Um, no, just because we have full time jobs while you're a grad student/waitress certainly doesn't mean you're rich. If you think you can't afford toilet paper, that's fine, but you better contribute in some other way. (sorry for that rant!)

I say put all of his mess on his bed/in his room/wherever he is, and if he still doesn't get it, then hopefully his name isn't on the lease. Or maybe since he seems kind of uhhh lazy or maybe just immature (cause lets be honest, men are most of the time) then maybe make up some kind of chore chart? I know it seems a bit teenager, but maybe it would help the situation if he knew he had to do something.

Funny update- apparently NONE of us signed the lease, what we signed was some other document finalizing everything with the realtor. Caiti and I are calling our landlady about signing it, like, NOW seeing as hypothetically it means we can be kicked out at any time.

Back