All-Star Rules Vs Judging: How To Change Behavior

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
There are two ways to influence and change the behavior of people in Cheerleading, rules and the scores they get when they compete. Rules work on a punishment bases by giving negative response when you break them. They are meant to stop specific actions. Scoring on the other hand is about encouraging behaviors trough positive rewards. They are to encourage behaviors that people have a choice in participating in.

A good example of rules stopping behavior is the jewelry rule while competing. If you break this rule while competing your team will face a negative consequence of lower placement. Notice, however, this has no effect on what happens at the gym while practicing. Rules are like that. They can only influence behavior while someone is around to police it.

For example of scoring influencing behavior look at coed stunting. It is not illegal to have an absence of coed stunting (do every team and coach have a choice not to do it) but they miss out on a huge reward if they don't. What is the majority of teams competing this year with boys (and even some hoss base girls) adding? Coed stunting. What, across the country at every gym everywhere what are all the boys now doing? Extra coed stunting.

I bring this up to ask a question. I do not disagree that safer progressions with tumbling need to be emphasized and encouraged. But what is the bed and smartest way to influence the behavior of everyone in Cheerleading?

Common sense and follow through. That is the best way to influence behavior. Example: no jewelry rule. Why then are there event producers that require wristbands to be worn? But wear a hair band on your wrist and get a safety deduction. I am honestly getting quite perturbed about the "officials" in charge of behaviors we must adhere to without said people using common sense.

I bring this up to ask a question. I do not disagree that safer progressions with tumbling need to be emphasized and encouraged. But what is the bed and smartest way to influence the behavior of everyone in Cheerleading?

Start nailing teams heavily for execution. Creativity, dance, and overall impression scores should be the areas on the scoresheet that make up a significantly less percentage of the score than the actual "skills" portions of the scoresheet. HOWEVER, I will state that if execution weighs heavier, I would like to see EP's move towards a more standardized scoresheet. It is crazy that you can go to one competition and get points for attempting skills (an "A" for effort!), and then go to another that wants clean, clean, clean, and then go to the comp that just wants "a show" all within 6 weeks of eachother. Teams are forced to make adjustments to their routine based on these expectations, and get one or two practices sometimes to perfect them before you perform them. How are teams supposed to show great execution when they have barely had time to practice?

EPs are responsible for scoresheets. The USASF are responsible for rules. If there isnt a universal scoresheet then the only way to fix tumbling injuries are to make rules more restrictive. Ask for a universal scoresheet to fix tumbling injuries.

EPs are responsible for scoresheets. The USASF are responsible for rules. If there isnt a universal scoresheet then the only way to fix tumbling injuries are to make rules more restrictive. Ask for a universal scoresheet to fix tumbling injuries.

Well, what I was referring to was more in reference to stunting and so forth, and I don't know that universal scoresheets will have any effect on tumbling issues if execution is not the primary emphasized aspect. I think that the more subjective areas of the scoresheet are probably affected the least by tumbling, except maybe by the amount of fierce shimmies, snaps, and hair whips after the athlete's pass :rolleyes: If the EP's were all aligned enough and and good enough terms to approach the USASF about their problem the other day and agree on a propsal to present to them, then they are obviously on good enough terms that they should be able to come to some sort of agreement on scoresheets. However, I still think that regardless of how the scoresheets are set up, certification of coaches is necessary, if not just for insurance purposes and credibility among the general population.

....Rules work on a punishment bases by giving negative response when you break them. They are meant to stop specific actions. Scoring on the other hand is about encouraging behaviors trough positive rewards. They are to encourage behaviors that people have a choice in participating in.

........ But what is the best and smartest way to influence the behavior of everyone in Cheerleading?
You answered your own question, which of course you knew. And IMO you are 100% correct. Encourage what you want to see by reflecting it positively on the scoresheet and eventually everyone will come around to doing things the way you want.

But here's where the frustration is. USASF had time and resources and significant EP buy-in to implement these ridiculous and basically unsubstantial rules that were clearly nothing but a knee-jerk reaction. But that was the excuse they gave for not implementing truly influential and lasting changes like standardized scoring (back to your point on rewarding behaviors), athlete registration, etc. - "can't do it, takes time, no money, must have EP buy-in".

So while your answer is probably right, until there is some way to force change at USASF, nothing is going to change. Join A.S.G.A.

But here's where the frustration is. USASF had time and resources and significant EP buy-in to implement these ridiculous and basically unsubstantial rules that were clearly nothing but a knee-jerk reaction. But that was the excuse they gave for not implementing truly influential and lasting changes like standardized scoring (back to your point on rewarding behaviors), athlete registration, etc. - "can't do it, takes time, no money, must have EP buy-in".

Double shimmy...

Why aren't more people recognizing the discrepancies between what the USASF "says" and what they "do"? I think that's the biggest issue out there - goes beyond tumbling, age grids, and image policies.

Scoresheet emphasis on execution over minimum ratios would be a great start to penalize coaches teaching poor technique while still allowing coaches/athletes with phenomenal skills to put them on the floor. We can't do that until we have a universal scoresheet... obstacles? Of course... but the USASF is showing us all the time (particularly with this announcement) that they are quite clearly capable of overcoming their self-pronounced "obstacles".

kingston I have the utmost respect for you but to believe that these rules were set to make All Star Cheerleading safer imo are naive.

The majority of Cheer related injuries are from stunts and collisions so.... These specific rule changes, all of a sudden, are all ridiculous. ( That's not mentioning the way in which they went about changing them.) (O, or the fact that there are way more cheer injuries than kids that can even do those skills.)

EP's/USASF, should what they mean and and mean what they say. Simple as that!!
If insurance is too high, say that, if you think this will even the comps then say that, if you can't regulate proper safety certifications for the instruction of these skills and are trying to negate responsibility for that, then say so.
Saying that only these specific skills are responsible for the most/worst cheer injuries, is an insult to everyone involved in this sport!!!! IMO

Simple as that!!!!

They can do what they want but At least have the decency to not try to act like we are all idiots!

Basically, Don't be cowards and hide behind this lame excuse!

I believe if safety were the real priority of the USASF then:
The real way to reduce injuries in this sport are either to:
A. Have the USASF set up a rigorous certification program that requires all competing gyms and their coaches to be level certified or they can't compete. These are our children we are talking about, most people will only go to gyms that are certified and will pay more to do so! (I'm not going to a Dr., Hair stylist or sending my kids to teachers who aren't certified.) Honestly, the USASF could charge whatever it takes because I am 100% sure that the good gyms and owners would make sure to get certified, especially if it were required to compete in USASF sanctioned events and parents knew to look and ask if a gym was USASF certified to what level, before signing their athletes up.

Or

B. get rid of stunting and group tumbling passes

Sometimes it seems like the EP's have all the influence, sometimes it seems like the gyms should, in reality the parents of these athletes (children thru young adults) should actually stand up and speak with our wallets.

USASF, EP's, gyms, uniform manufacturers, our kids LOVE All Star Cheer but there are other options for our athletes to participate in. This sport is a very big commitment financially and time wise. Get yourselves together before you work yourselves right out of business!

Simple as that!

Reallycoolcheermommy Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back