All-Star S/o Release Discussion Re: Worlds Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Why would parents want it to stay? It gives the owners, both good and bad, to much power over our children with no course of action even if an owner is criminally or legally wrong.

Sometimes gym owners, coaches, EP's and even the USASF need to realize that parents fund 100% of this sport/industry. If there are not clear cut reasons to guarantee a release in the rules then the rules should not be in place. With that said I do support the basics of this rule because as a parent I believe it is important to teach our kids the value of working through adversity even when you aren't happy.

Oh my gosh - I couldn't agree with you more. It's sad to make a decision that you know will hurt your child when you've always taught them to stick something out & work through adversity on a team or in a situation. But, when it comes to the point where you are compromising your personal ethics, sometimes you also have to teach your kids that there can actually be a RIGHT time to walk away from something - if you've put enough thought into it & researched the facts to prove/disprove the rumor mill independently of any other person.

For my CP, the owner will not sign the waiver. Our bills have always been paid on time and in full. There is no reason to not sign the waiver other than the owner just doesn't want to. My husband & I have confronted the owner to ask for a release & was told face-to-face that she would give it in 3 days time and then she went back on her word. I will be writing a letter of complaint to the USASF, but sadly, don't expect to see any results. My CP can finish out the year on Junior 5 & we'll still have a great year. I honestly don't know if we will let her return to cheer after this. At this point, I'm fairly disgusted & am having a hard time seeing the positives of the sport that my CP has loved for so many years.

And lets clarify, a reprehensible situation ONLY for Worlds athletes. All the rest can walk away. And they DONT sit out for a year. That is the thing. Where does it say they have to sit out for a year? They just sit out for one competition. Nothing is stopping them from cheering.

As a parent, why would I want to invest all of the time, energy, and money for my CP to compete all year long on a Senior 5 team but NOT be eligible for Worlds? Talk about the ultimate sacrifice to a kid. Sorry kiddo - you helped the team get there but now you're replaced. That just seems mean.

Oh my gosh - I couldn't agree with you more. It's sad to make a decision that you know will hurt your child when you've always taught them to stick something out & work through adversity on a team or in a situation. But, when it comes to the point where you are compromising your personal ethics, sometimes you also have to teach your kids that there can actually be a RIGHT time to walk away from something - if you've put enough thought into it & researched the facts to prove/disprove the rumor mill independently of any other person.

For my CP, the owner will not sign the waiver. Our bills have always been paid on time and in full. There is no reason to not sign the waiver other than the owner just doesn't want to. My husband & I have confronted the owner to ask for a release & was told face-to-face that she would give it in 3 days time and then she went back on her word. I will be writing a letter of complaint to the USASF, but sadly, don't expect to see any results. My CP can finish out the year on Junior 5 & we'll still have a great year. I honestly don't know if we will let her return to cheer after this. At this point, I'm fairly disgusted & am having a hard time seeing the positives of the sport that my CP has loved for so many years.
You should not let this end, you need to continue to fight.

I have a question that I have been wondering all day, if the athlete is leaving a level 5 team at one gym to be on a level 6 team at another because it is a different level but still a worlds division will they still need that release? Level 5 is always talked about with this rule but what about a level 5 wanting to move to a level 6 team.

I have a question that I have been wondering all day, if the athlete is leaving a level 5 team at one gym to be on a level 6 team at another because it is a different level but still a worlds division will they still need that release? Level 5 is always talked about with this rule but what about a level 5 wanting to move to a level 6 team.
they would still need a release

The USASF has to pick its battles on telling coaches and gym owners what types of changes they have to make to their registration policies and what type of paperwork they need to put money and man-hours into keeping up with.

In the list of the things that USASF should be working on, this is hundreds of spots down from #1. You probably disagree, but that is my opinion.

This I agree with. I'd rather the USASF work on mandatory athlete credentialing and registration and a universal scoresheet first. Priorities. :)

you might feel different if it were your child stuck in limbo land with a power hungry owner saying too bad

Perhaps. And as I've said earlier in the thread, I don't like the rule as it's constructed and believe there are ways to make it more fair for the athletes. But in a particular year, I would imagine that the number of athletes we're talking about that get caught in this "limbo" is probably tiny.

If it's a case of priorities, I'd much rather see USASF tackling things like universal scoresheets and mandatory athlete credentialing/registration first. Those things would have a far greater "bang for the buck" in improving the sport.

Perhaps. And as I've said earlier in the thread, I don't like the rule as it's constructed and believe there are ways to make it more fair for the athletes. But in a particular year, I would imagine that the number of athletes we're talking about that get caught in this "limbo" is probably tiny.

If it's a case of priorities, I'd much rather see USASF tackling things like universal scoresheets and mandatory athlete credentialing/registration first. Those things would have a far greater "bang for the buck" in improving the sport.
I have zero confidence in the usasf being able to tackle these new issues when they can't even handle their own existing rules.....

TRUST ME: After emailing around trying to find an Open team about 2 years ago- there are PLENTY of gyms that do not respond well to email. Why else do you think we had so many 'positive' responses in the 'Coaches Texting Athletes' thread?

Honestly as long as my CP wasn't at the top of the age bracket and something like this happened, I would probably be mad b/c well, that's what us people do... but I would take a non-worlds bound team or a different lever for the remainder of the year if needed. You kinda have to since it has been the choice made to leave the said gym. It seriously doesn't make sense to fight it. Think about the stress ity causes your child... in the end all of this goes on and children can sense your stress. I do get the mentality of we teach our children to stick it out and good can come and we teach our children right from wrong and well things happen and changes at times need to be made.

We keep battling this and everyone gets turned against each other and well, this honestly is getting ugly. And even here people keep turning against each other... :confused:

Universal score sheets is something that is a much lower priority than athlete credentialing/registration and background checks. At the top of the list needs to be mandatory membership for gyms which includes FULL background checks for owners and any coaches being hired. It must start from the TOP before athletes and parents walk into the door! Full blown campaigns to educate parents and athletes on where and how to look at the backgrounds of the gyms they are thinking of investing thousands of dollars in. It also has to be a combined effort between the USASF, the EP's, the parents and the athletes to get this done.

Sorry I guess I just believe in Capitalism
This rule does not violate "capitalism". Parents/Athletes should be able to freely choose which gym they are a part of. USASF is able to invite the athletes/teams they want to participate in it's event. Both of those statements are currently true.

There is no inherent "right" to compete at USASF Worlds, any more than I have a "right" to compete in the Olympics without going through it's strict qualification procedures. Worlds is an invitation-only event put on by an organization that has chosen to limit who can participate. In our capitalist(ish) society, you have the freedom to start your own event production company, start a world championship, and invite whomever you choose to your event as well.

Universal score sheets is something that is a much lower priority than athlete credentialing/registration and background checks. At the top of the list needs to be mandatory membership for gyms which includes FULL background checks for owners and any coaches being hired. It must start from the TOP before athletes and parents walk into the door! Full blown campaigns to educate parents and athletes on where and how to look at the backgrounds of the gyms they are thinking of investing thousands of dollars in. It also has to be a combined effort between the USASF, the EP's, the parents and the athletes to get this done.

Are you saying then that it is up to USASF and the EP's to recommend which gym parents should attend over others? So then in order to attend Worlds if not a member of said gym you can not attend or perhaps even attend a bid event or any USASF competition?

I can see the reasons why USASF would not want to go down that road yet, as it would have an adverse impact on the $$$$ they bring in. Many member gyms of the USASF are only members so they can go to Worlds, other than that they could care less about USASF. They dont' support the mission of USASF. If it wasn't for Worlds they would not be a member. If USASF did something that would in effect directly place one gym over another in their community those that are on the fence with USASF would pull out for real and another National Cheer Organization would emerge offering a similar type competition to reach out to those who left USASF and those gyms (which are probably the majority) who are not USASF member gyms. USASF already has enough issue than to put on the spot for appearing to favor one gym "on paper" in Idaho for example over another.

***I agree with you that it needs to be done, but when it does be sure a split will occur. USASF does not have all their ducks in a row to keep that from happening yet, hence IMHO another reason why it is a low priority.***

Although I agree with you, I just want to mention another little piece of food for thought. I think you would be surprised at how many gyms and parents are out there that have zero clue about the USASF. There are a handful of big name gyms, but thousands of smaller gyms. I took over ownership of a small gym last spring, and the gym was not a USASF gym. Why? Because there was no reason. The parents don't have any idea what the USASF, Worlds, or even Fierceboard is. They know their kids are happy and want to cheer, and we are the closest gym. We will probably never have a worlds team, and it is not our goal. Realistically though, many parents are not as educated about cheer as you are. If this happened, the USASF would have a HUGE task on their hands, trying to handle all the requests and keeping up with newly hired coaches. Would it be worth it? I'm really not sure.
Cheerleading is funded by parents, and parents are the ones that bring in business, not a website. I can't imagine any of my parents have ever gone online looking for a gym. They ask their friends, and if they are happy that's where they will go. Essentially, parents are the "police" that the USASF cannot be. If a gym is not treating customers right, they leave and tell others. The gym goes out of business, and eventually those people will not be involved in cheer. They may move and try a few other gyms, but the cheer community is small enough that is won't last for long. I can tell you now that if I moved to Chicago, I would not go to the gym you were at, and that has come from your (and countless others) bad experience. I wouldn't find that on a website. I don't think a background check or something on the USASF website could tell me as much as someone that has been there and seen it all. It is just unfortunate that people need to suffer through those bad apples before they can move on, tell others, and those places go under, but once again, that is the case in every business-not just cheer.

Back