All-Star S/o Release Discussion Re: Worlds Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The 6 month waiting period could work, there's something like that in Irish dance.
In one of the organizations of Irish dance in the U.S., they make dancers serve a 6 month ban from competition to keep people from changing dance schools every month. The only time the ban doesn't apply is if the dancer moves more than 50 miles from their home studio or if the studio closes.

After 6 months from when the decision has to be made the season is over. It was a joke, heh.

Also- everyone seems to keep saying that tons of other youth sports have something similar in place already and it works great...what is it?

The problem is in other youth sports they can 'easily' put someone in to play a position. In cheerleading alternates don't work quite like that.

So your view is that good gyms with winning level 5 teams can do whatever they want and athletes will come to their program?

if there aren't solid level 5 teams in the area, absolutely. there's one "real" level 5 team in my hometown (without driving about an hourish) and they get girls all the time despite an owner with a criminal record of embezzlement and a coach accused of statutory rape (with the owner's daughter)

But if you make it so that the loser of the appeal has to pay then less people will be filing an appeal that has no chance of going through. A phone call once a month between people to go over any appeals that have came in should not take that long. If someone has to go through and make sure these release waivers are signed, which I question how they know for sure they are not forged, then why not go through appeals papers. You could even have two steps in the process. Step 1 someone would skim over them and see which ones are serious claims and those appeals would go on to the step of being voted on and the rest are thrown out.

As I questioned above how does whoever verify these releases? Do they just believe the paper they receive or do they check them out?

just to keep forgery from ever being a question on either end, i feel like it should REQUIRE notarization.

if there aren't solid level 5 teams in the area, absolutely. there's one "real" level 5 team in my hometown (without driving about an hourish) and they get girls all the time despite an owner with a criminal record of embezzlement and a coach accused of statutory rape (with the owner's daughter)

well if there isn't another solid level 5 program in the area that goes to worlds.... why would this rule even affect that area then?

OK, here is my proposal to add the appeals process:

If a gym will not release an athlete then the athletes family can file an appeal with the USASF. Being that the USASF is traveling and constantly working (and mostly understaffed) it is reasonable that they must reply to the appeal within 30 days of the notice. To file an appeal each athlete must have 3 written letters of recommendation from families at the gym with one child each who is registered with the USASF (to prove they actually have children at the gym). The USASF once responded will setup an appeals hearing held by 3 members and will take 1 hour. They will get written statements from each side and will only accept evidence if it is notarized and proven true. The 3 reasons for an athlete to be released from the gym no matter what is: A. proof of abuse (proof of abuse must be in the form of video OR a court must have found the coach guilty) B. family is moving from one residence to another. each residence MUST be at least 150 miles from each other and the second residence MUST be farther away from the gym not willing to be released. two months of bills from each residence and either a newly signed mortgage or lease on a apartment must be presented to show there indeed was a move and not just using someone else's property C. gym is just too expensive. athletes families must present statements of income and full gym bills from gym A and gym B to show how much cheaper the move would be.
After presenting the evidence (of which anything that isn't notarized is thrown out) the committee will make a decision. If the decision is not satisfactory to the athletes parents they may appeal again, at which the USASF has 30 days to respond again.

What do you think?

well if there isn't another solid level 5 program in the area that goes to worlds.... why would this rule even affect that area then?

don't they have to be released even if they weren't on a level 5 prior to the switch because they're going to worlds with the new team? that was the impression i had...because a lot of girls have asked for releases from a SR5.

don't they have to be released even if they weren't on a level 5 prior to the switch because they're going to worlds with the new team? that was the impression i had...because a lot of girls have asked for releases from a SR5.

you only have to be released if you want to go TO worlds. thats it.

i know...that gym was my example of the girls leaving a solid, respectable program to go to a shady one just because they have a "worlds" team.

ohhh. hah. good example!

I've never understood why the USASF doesn't institute a policy like USA Swimming, which automatically allows you to transfer from one club to another, provided you wait 120 days between competitions and have met all financial obligations to your previous club. USA Swimming actually states in their bylaws that the intent of the rule is not to prevent athletes from switching clubs.

I think the current rule puts way too much power in the hands of gym owners.

Let's compare this to the situation at Penn State. I'm not aware of any rules allowing the players to go to another FBS school and compete right away. I think we can all safely say that it's a tragedy and how were they supposed to know, etc.

They can leave and go to an FCS or lower team and play next fall or they can transfer an sit out a year.

Tough situation, but those are the rules.

The NCAA has a "hardship transfer" rule that lets athletes request a waiver, which allows them to not have to sit out that year. They're granted more often than you think.

As to Penn State, if PSU gets the death penalty you can bet that none of the athletes on the current team will have to sit out a year before they can play at another school.

Bottom line is that even the bloated, rigid NCAA has a process to circumvent their rules.

I have been doing research on a paper for school on human trafficking and have found some similarities between that and the releasing of an athlete. I know it sounds crazy but see below.

Trafficking in Persons is the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation.

Back