Safety Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 13, 2013
I'm a newbie to the board and cheer in general. My daughter is on a middle school squad where she is a flyer. The coach held an all day practice that was closed to parents. When I picked my daughter up she had bad neck and back pain. Her neck hurt up to her head and gave her a bad headache. It went away the next day but the soreness remained. Her back is okay most of the time, but she can't handle the impact of a jump, and she can't bend forward enough to touch her toes or arch back very far without pain. She can kick just fine though.There is one particular spot where the pain is.

All of this resulted from forward rolls on the gym floor that are part of their new routine. No mats are used and no mats are planning to be used. Most of our girls were really bruised and banged up. We were told by the local all star gym that many of our kids train at and we all respect that it's really damaging to do off of a mat and never a good idea. They also couldn't figure out why you would do them in the first place.

I like the coach and I do not want to be that parent, but everything I have read backs up that opinion. However, with them rarely being in a routine or off a mat, I can't find an official safety guideline that addresses it. Any opinions or resources that address this? Suggestions? Thanks.

First of all, I want to commend you on doing your research and talking to experts when you sensed there was a problem. You may be a new cheer mom, but you're going to be well respected on this board if you keep it up!

On to your question. I'm not a doctor or an expert, but I would never have my cheerleaders FWR on a basketball floor, even if they were level 5 with perfect technique. They're essentially going head-first on to a hard wooden floor. How does that seem like a good idea? I imagine that at an all day practice your daughter probably did at least 50 FWRs, which means that her spine and the back of her head hit the wood floor 50ish times. Ouch.

The next step should be to take her to a doctor. Back pain is nothing to play with. Explain to the doctor exactly what your daughter was doing. He/she may be able to explain why it's a bad idea to be doing FWRs on such a hard service. If the doctor agrees with you, it gives you a more legitimate reason to talk to the coach and express your concern.

Ask for a short, private meeting with the coach to explain your concerns. Tell her/him exactly what you told us. Be calm, kind and avoid argument. Start the conversation with something like, "I respect your actions as a coach and I know that you would never intentionally put the cheerleaders in danger, but..." You may want to leave out the comments from the all star coaches though. Showing that you doubted her opinion could make her/him angry, which isn't what you want.

Keep us updated!

Thank you. I really appreciate the kind comments and insights. I did speak with the coach, via email. I wanted it documented and I wanted to keep my cool, so that seemed like the best mode of communication. I had decided after speaking with her Ortho and him agreeing that I'm just not going to let her do that without a mat. I approached it very respectfully and without accusation or drama. Her response was basically that girls get banged and bruised and I need to let her know if that is a problem.

For the record, I'm not one of those parents who think their child is made of glass. I don't mind soreness or bruises that are reasonable. This doesn't seem reasonable. We have girls who look like they've been beaten on their backs or necks. One who couldn't even lay on her back to sleep without tears. Some of our girls couldn't do it properly on the mat at all. (We are a young team with only three experienced girls.) Many can't tumble right now at all.

It looks like she's going to require it. She did say she would consider something else except for competitions. I'm just not comfortable with it, or with her frankly. I'm really amazed that with all the damage it did to the girls that she'd plan on doing it again. Even for competition.

I'm also a little appalled that she flat out lied about not knowing the rolls would be in the routine. One, I know she made the girls who made up the routine add them as this was done in front of the squad. Two, all she had to so was not include them. It's all just really suspect.

Thanks for letting me vent. At this point I am just really angry and frustrated as well as concerned.

Rule of thumb: If you doubt, get her out.

If you're doubting the coach's ability/willingness to keep your daughter safe, then she's probably not a quality coach. Yes, bruises and bumps come with the territory, but anything that causes repeat bruises and that much pain should be reconsidered. Seems like she's not willing to do so. Stuff happens, but if the same injuries are happening to everyone, probably a sign that it isn't a good idea.

I'm getting off my soapbox now.

I would also recommend you contact Jim Lord with AACCA. They design the rules that govern school cheer. His email is [email protected].

There is good information on their site as well.

Update: For the five minutes I wasn't there at the next practice, after a written conversation about her being injured and restricted on what she could do (specifically she could not even touch her toes physically), her Coach got onto her and pushed her to get lower stretching. When she said she couldn't because her back hurt, she was told it shouldn't hurt because she "didn't do that many" rolls. Pushing took the pain from with movements to constant. She had vertebrae out of line in the mid back and neck. Swelling and inflammation around both. A bruised vertebrae, and was knocked so out of line it was ridiculous.

She also has a sprain/strain that from symptoms, the doc said was likely caused at the second practice when she was pushed. Her vertebrae were stuck and could not give, so soft tissue did.I came in, was told what happened, and yanked her out. She was in tears with pain most of the night that night.

Obviously I can't trust her to keep my kid safe at a closed practice. Or even an open one when I'm not there and she knows she is hurt. Much less at camp, where she refuses to let another adult attend. (She overdosed a child on meds last year.) We have a rec league cheer coach who is a nurse and parent who has offered to pay her way to help out. Our coach refuses.

I'm not sure how this lady is allowed to continue, though the Principle and Board did say mats are required at all times. I don't want my daughter to have to quit what she loves. I would put her in all star, but I really can't afford it. Nor am I going to allow her to risk serious injury. Does anyone have any ideas on finding a balance or solution here?

This coach seems like she is on a soap-box. Its insane that she would even think rolls on a hard floor are a good idea... I honestly think you should look for an all-star program that may not be as travel orientated and maybe more suited for your financial needs. Or even a rec program??

Have you gone to the principal or athletic director (or both) with this latest information? Safety is a hard limit for me. Time to march in and demand action, even if you pull your daughter. I hope she heals easily from this.

Thank you ladies. I agree, safety is non-negotiable. I did speak with the principle and board. The AD and Principle met with her and insisted mats were always used. Considering the liability, I assumed they would. It doesn't make me trust her judgement. She injured her, made it worse, lied to me flat out and in writing, and never asked about my daughter or apologized. I could live with all but hurting her. I think you're right. I will probably have to pull her. Sadly we are in a rural area, this gym is almost an hour away and there's not one anywhere closer as far as all stars go. There are no rec programs for her age. I'll just take a second job. She's worth it. Thanks again.

I just can't believe they would continue to allow her to coach, or at minimum, not require a second adult to be present at closed practices or camp.

Thank you ladies. I agree, safety is non-negotiable. I did speak with the principle and board. The AD and Principle met with her and insisted mats were always used. Considering the liability, I assumed they would. It doesn't make me trust her judgement. She injured her, made it worse, lied to me flat out and in writing, and never asked about my daughter or apologized. I could live with all but hurting her. I think you're right. I will probably have to pull her. Sadly we are in a rural area, this gym is almost an hour away and there's not one anywhere closer as far as all stars go. There are no rec programs for her age. I'll just take a second job. She's worth it. Thanks again.

I just can't believe they would continue to allow her to coach, or at minimum, not require a second adult to be present at closed practices or camp.

I can't even imagine how much stress this must have caused you :( I don't know how many all star programs there are near you, but it's worth looking at the specifics of their fees i.e. is everything included in a monthly payment, how much upfront, any "hidden costs", and also any fundraising they do when you check them out. I really hope this turns out well for you and your CP!

If you would like an expert to call the school district pm me or call me 310-498-5985

Thank you all again. Yes it has been stressful. Hopefully though it will all be resolved today. If not, I will definitely take you up on your offer of calling the school district, CheerSafety. I have addressed, in writing, closed practices and camp and offered what I believe to be the fair compromise of another trained adult being present at both. Hopefully they will agree and she can stay in cheer. Don't get me wrong, the coach will probably always hate me now, but that I can tolerate that. Thanks again. I really, truly appreciate this board.

Back