All-Star Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Most of what I wanted to say have already been stated, but I totally do not agree with all these crossovers! CEA is a large gym (well esp. KVille, Raleigh) that does not need crossovers. I only advocate crossovers if it is a small gym that NEEDS it to have teams! Having to having special Summit tryouts is just bad ownership, when you built the teams you should make them all Summit and NCA eligible! It looks bad when you need spots filled for Summit and Words because of crossovers. Also I understand it is fun to do two teams, but what about school, school cheer, band, yearbook, speaking, music, homework etc?! You need time for homework and projects, not to mention APs for getting into college.
I'm just using your post as a jumping off point. I hear people say all the time that large gyms don't need crossovers. I've be a part of both and I have to say that this just isn't true. There were years when the talent pool was divided strangely where crossovers were necessary to fill a team. Can you compete with 10? Sure you can, but 12 are easier. The question becomes do you cross 2 athletes to help make a competitive team thereby making it an enjoyable year for everyone or do you compete with 10 and have no chance of placing well all season making it miserable and losing 8 of those 10 athletes because they suddenly "hate cheer?" It's really not a black/white issue regardless of gym size.

I'm just using your post as a jumping off point. I hear people say all the time that large gyms don't need crossovers. I've be a part of both and I have to say that this just isn't true. There were years when the talent pool was divided strangely where crossovers were necessary to fill a team. Can you compete with 10? Sure you can, but 12 are easier. The question becomes do you cross 2 athletes to help make a competitive team thereby making it an enjoyable year for everyone or do you compete with 10 and have no chance of placing well all season making it miserable and losing 8 of those 10 athletes because they suddenly "hate cheer?" It's really not a black/white issue regardless of gym size.
I agree I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that only small gyms need crossovers.
Further, while CEA has a lot of locations even the largest ones (which I imagine is k'ville and Raleigh) are still "small" relative to the main locations of gyms like Cheer Athletics and Stingrays. So to assume they can fill teams like either of these gyms isn't accurate.

I agree I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that only small gyms need crossovers.
Further, while CEA has a lot of locations even the largest ones (which I imagine is k'ville and Raleigh) are still "small" relative to the main locations of gyms like Cheer Athletics and Stingrays. So to assume they can fill teams like either of these gyms isn't accurate.
I don't think a blanket statement has been made about only small gyms and crossovers. I think crossovers can be used at all gym sizes. It's just that I think (and maybe others do as well) that 2-3 crossovers, etc is appropriate and an accepted practice. Heck, if Varsity lets you use up to 5 level 5 worlds athletes on your level 4 for Summit ok fine that's the rule use 5 if you want to. This example from CEA goes beyond the intention of a few crossovers to fill out teams in my opinion and crosses over (no pun intended) to gaming the system. Which is legal, but now sets your program up for more scrutiny.

I guess I just don't understand why CEA sets up their teams the way the do, when they know the rules for Summit and the Worlds will force them to rework several teams so they can compete those events. Why not just make a team that will be eligible with the athletes they already have, even if it means not fielding a few teams to start with? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Interesting how at his point CSP doesn't care and a just like, "hey look how many crossovers we have!!"

It's kind of disappointing- I feel like the true to level athletes aren't getting to build and grow their team because there's either crossovers or walk ons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did the cross over rules come out? Prior to May 2015. Teams are announced in May. When did we know about these new rules? Just curious

Fair, but as I understand it that's not what CEA is doing. Most of their athletes do more than one team and many do 3. That is vastly different for me than crossing a couple of kids here and there to fill out a team.

When did the cross over rules come out? Prior to May 2015. Teams are announced in May. When did we know about these new rules? Just curious
I believe it was right after the Summit last year. They had plenty of time to rework teams though if they had already had tryouts before the Summit. But most gyms had them after so it shouldn't have affected that.

I agree with what most are saying about the CEA advertisement. I'd be embarrassed as a program owner to have to advertise to fill teams at this point in the season all because I probably didn't fill them correctly to begin with. Now the world who's already scrutinizing your program because of the sandbagging you "allegedly" do has something to really talk about.

Summit should have a rule limited changes in rosters. This may stop some of the crossing over. Makes no sense that you can say qualify with 23 "a's "and bring 32 "b's" Limit changes/alternates like worlds. Not fair that a team who got the bid can be a completely different one that goes to summit.

Back