Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
I got sent to Savannah, Ga for the week for some training. We're staying right in the middle of downtown near the riverwalk.

Anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do in the evenings on free time?

Any good places to eat that are nearby?

I got sent to Savannah, Ga for the week for some training. We're staying right in the middle of downtown near the riverwalk.

Anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do in the evenings on free time?

Any good places to eat that are nearby?

A ghost tour (there are a few to choose from) - will hear quite a bit about the legends/history of the city. Paula Deen's restaurant is an option also, but you probably need a reservation. We had some really good pizza at Vinnie VanGogo's (market street?) - I think it was the best pizza I had ever eaten :) There are also quite a few restaurants on River St. -that I can't recall the names off, but I don't recall any of them being bad lol. A lot of shops and candy shops also on River St. They also have carriage rides, but I don't remember if they operate in the evening. We also ate at the Pirate House which is at the very end of one of the main streets - across from River St. The food was OK, kind of pricey - but the atmosphere/history of the house was neat. You can check Trip Advisor and search Savannah and it will give you restaurant reviews, attractions etc. We also did a dolphin excursion and rode out to Tybee Island if you have time :) I really loved my trip there.

Thanks! I don't know if I'll have time for all that, but those are good suggestions. Anyone who will be in the area, PM me and maybe we can grab something to eat.

Terri and I really enjoyed the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" tour. It's the only one we've ever done, but it was good. Obviously, you would have needed to read the book to get the full effect.

Also, we visited the old cemetaries. I know some will consider that morbid, but looking at the craftmanship on the monuments.

The food is incredible.

Also, if you've never been to Parris Island, this would be a good time for a visit. Very interesting to see, especially the sign close to the parade deck: We Make Marines.

I'm actually from Savannah!! It really depends on what you want to do with co-workers...

There are an array of bars for happy hour on Market Street: Buffalo Wild Wings (usually has a band downstairs), Bar Bar, Moon River Brewing Co, Rooftop Tavern
  • Bohemian Hotel has a great rooftop outdoor bar and AWESOME food...the fried green tomato sandwich is a treat (and reasonably priced).
Food: Lady & Sons (Paula Deans restaurant) requires an in-person reservation. Honestly...any food you get from any "non-chain" restaurant will be worth the price. Even the pub food has southern specialties. Do not leave without having a tomato sandwich, sweet potato fries, sea food (like shrimp & grits), and a southern sweet tea.

• Looking for food outside of fried food? Sushi Zen, Vinnie VanGogo's....it's hard for me to think outside of southern food now that I live in New England. :)
  • Bring back Savannah Sweets from River Street for the family or cheerleaders!! Pralines, candied popcorn, all the goodness....
A good time can always be had on Market Street...you can't go wrong. Remember, as long as you don't have glass and are over age you can carry alcoholic beverages from one establishment to the next on the street. There's also dueling piano's on River Street (next to the Bohemian Hotel, closer to MLK St.). If I think of anything else I'll be sure to let you know.

There's really not too much to go see outside of downtown unless you want to visit all the history sites (and then there's SOOO much to see, starting with the underground railroad right in the churches, history of cobblestone, Savannah Squares, Savannah Lighthouse, etc.). Tybee for the beach...the malls are not that exciting....Mexican food is superb and authentic in Georgia...SCAD sometimes has cool artsy events.

If you like seafood then Paule Deen's brother's restaurant Uncle Bubba's Oyster House is really really good. When we went we didn't need a reservation but if you are afraid they will be busy you can make a reservation. Was just looking at his website and they even have tours that you can take which shows you some of Paula's favorite places in Savannah.

Thought this was cool. We made front page of the local paper:

Fighter jet pilots training in Savannah | savannahnow.com: http://bit.ly/pTgdgx

Now the tough job of finding things to do on the river walk Friday and Saturday night!

Back