High School Scoliosis

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
Okay I just found out that I have mild scoliosis!! I was upset and all I thought about was would it prevent me from doing cheer. My aunt told me that I just got to keep physical activity and I'll be golden, but I'm just worried about tumbling. It's so close to tryouts and I'm just getting over my back handspring fear. What should I tell the coach or say nothing? What do you girls and guys think about the situation?

Okay I just found out that I have mild scoliosis!! I was upset and all I thought about was would it prevent me from doing cheer. My aunt told me that I just got to keep physical activity and I'll be golden, but I'm just worried about tumbling. It's so close to tryouts and I'm just getting over my back handspring fear. What should I tell the coach or say nothing? What do you girls and guys think about the situation?
I have the same issue. I've found it hasn't affected my cheer leading or tumbling. If it becomes an issue, then give your coach a doctors note, but if its not a problem for you then I don't think you have to tell them if you don't want to.

I would let your coaches know, it's better for them to be informed of any medical conditions.

I have mild scoliosis too, and it has never affected my cheerleading. As long as you use proper technique, it shouldn't be an issue

It is actually good for you to keep up physical activity. It might not ever bother you at all. Make sure you balance out all your stretching and strengthening, by doing everything on both sidess. Depending on your age, you want to make sure to keep an eye in it, getting at least annual X-rays. My daughter has severe scoliosis, and wore a brace for two years. She has been able to cheer the whole time. Her doctors have cleared her to keep cheering until it a.) hurts to much, or b.) gets her surgery. Whichever comes first.

Eta: she's can do all her tumbling and has been able to fly

But I was concerned because all of the girls would be devastated if I didn't try out. I've been conditioning with them for 4 weeks and I have a bond with all of them.

I train with a girl who has mild scoliosis and the only thing she has problems with is basing. Hope this helps and just remember everyone is different so do what feels good and just stop when it doesn't. Be smart enough to know when to say enough is enough :)

When I was going through the paper work for my rugby team I found out one of the girls has scoliosis. She hasn't actually said anything to me and I know nothing about scoliosis. I'm kind of worried about putting her out on the field since she has never played before this year.

It is actually good for you to keep up physical activity. It might not ever bother you at all. Make sure you balance out all your stretching and strengthening, by doing everything on both sidess. Depending on your age, you want to make sure to keep an eye in it, getting at least annual X-rays. My daughter has severe scoliosis, and wore a brace for two years. She has been able to cheer the whole time. Her doctors have cleared her to keep cheering until it a.) hurts to much, or b.) gets her surgery. Whichever comes first.

Eta: she's can do all her tumbling and has been able to fly
My doctor said mines is more of a hump, I forgot the name of it. I'll be sure to tell when I do.

I would let your coaches know, it's better for them to be informed of any medical conditions.

I have mild scoliosis too, and it has never affected my cheerleading. As long as you use proper technique, it shouldn't be an issue
I'll be sure to tell the coach, but before tryouts or after tryouts?

I would tell them before tryouts so they can place you properly. If you need to backspot because of your back they can accommodate you easier :)

I would tell them before tryouts so they can place you properly. If you need to backspot because of your back they can accommodate you easier :)
My back feels better when I base, but with certain stunts. I will be sure to tell her. Thanks!

Communication with coaches is VERY important, both for injuries/medical conditions but also for fear-related issues.

Back