Scorpion And Scale Stretches?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2015
Hi! This is my second year cheering and I'm having kind of a predicament....
I learned mid season this year that my team was doing stunts on the "wrong" leg. I am used to pulling all of my positions on my right leg. But I was informed by my coach that next year they want you to have your positions on your left leg. I have a good heelstretch and bow and arrow (but it wouldn't hurt to stretch it some more) but my scale is sort of crooked and doesn't go very high, and my scorpion looks like a pathetic dorito. I have tryouts on May 10th and I need some tips to get it stretched out again. I'm willing to try pretty much anything.
Thanks in advance! (sorry I think I put this in the wrong section ._.)

Hi! This is my second year cheering and I'm having kind of a predicament....
I learned mid season this year that my team was doing stunts on the "wrong" leg. I am used to pulling all of my positions on my right leg. But I was informed by my coach that next year they want you to have your positions on your left leg. I have a good heelstretch and bow and arrow (but it wouldn't hurt to stretch it some more) but my scale is sort of crooked and doesn't go very high, and my scorpion looks like a pathetic dorito. I have tryouts on May 10th and I need some tips to get it stretched out again. I'm willing to try pretty much anything.
Thanks in advance! (sorry I think I put this in the wrong section ._.)
For scorpion go into a split and have a friend grab your arms and try to pull you to your back leg. Try it mostly with the right leg in front but also stretch the left or you can damage your back. (I learned that the hard way) then for scale I would go into a middle split . Simple as that. If you want you can try to grab your leg as if you were in the air. Push yourself. Get out of your comfort zone. It also helps just to pull the positions over and over. Not 10 times but 25 at the BARE MINIMUM. I would recommend 50 if you really want to push yourself! Make sure you stretch both legs!

For scorpion go into a split and have a friend grab your arms and try to pull you to your back leg. Try it mostly with the right leg in front but also stretch the left or you can damage your back. (I learned that the hard way) then for scale I would go into a middle split . Simple as that. If you want you can try to grab your leg as if you were in the air. Push yourself. Get out of your comfort zone. It also helps just to pull the positions over and over. Not 10 times but 25 at the BARE MINIMUM. I would recommend 50 if you really want to push yourself! Make sure you stretch both legs!
Thanks so much! Will definitely try those :D

I do lots and lots of bridges, bridges with legs straightened, and bridges where i try to grab my ankles. I also do splits and lean back and grab my leg (before i couldnt reach my leg without falling over so i would put a laundry basket on each side of me and hold on to that) hope this helps! :)

I just wanted to update: My scorpion is looking a lot better! It could use some work but eh it's turning out pretty good! And my scale is getting so much better too. Thanks!

I know this is a weird stretch but what help me with my scorpion was that laid on my stomach flat and I grabbed my left leg and pulled up and try to get it over my head or straight up

my favorite thing to do to stretch my scorp was to use a doorway.
If you do the splits on one side of the door frame and then use the other side to walk your hands up that really helped me! I had my spike for a bit when i flew because of that!

Back