All-Star Secret Diary Of An American Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Isn't Gabi 14 though? I wouldn't say that is too much of a stretch to the general age of the rest of them. I agree with Bianca though, from memory she is a fair bit younger?
as far as I know Gabi and cami are only about a year apart...

Cami is currently as freshman.

I know the Twister program is extremley diverse and there are predominantly black teams like Crimson Heat and Ellenwood...and I seen quiete a few black and other minority on some big name teams. A mostly latino team won UCA High School Nationals. Both CAs have a lot of Asian athletes. I'm some what offends by this being a black athlete in this sport and seeing all walks of life compete.

Which really was the whole point I was getting at... It's not a good representation of our sport's diversity, nor does it help us seem enticing to children who may be racial/ethnic minorities, because all they see is the cookie cutter, blonde, white, stereotypical cheerleader image (also, no boys?). The last team I coached was very diverse- black, white, Asian, puertorican, Dominican, etc. Those kids just plain didn't see enough of themselves represented in the media and hype surrounding our sport, and they made it very clear to me that they felt "out of place" at competitions because of it. It took a long time for me to get that out of their heads, and I'm sure I'm not the only coach who has experienced this. It would be beneficial for these shows and other media around cheer to focus on the reality that this sport IS for everyone. IMO

i HATE this. how can you positively display the REAL ALLSTAR WORLD if there isn't a team involved? smh. this is going to be a tragedy sorry y'all.

How do you know that there isn't a team involved? These girls are making guest appearances in a show that involves other actors (as far as I know) and judging by the picture above, where they're wearing the SAME uniform, I'm going to go ahead and assume there's a team aspect to this show.

Which really was the whole point I was getting at... It's not a good representation of our sport's diversity, nor does it help us seem enticing to children who may be racial/ethnic minorities, because all they see is the cookie cutter, blonde, white, stereotypical cheerleader image (also, no boys?). The last team I coached was very diverse- black, white, Asian, puertorican, Dominican, etc. Those kids just plain didn't see enough of themselves represented in the media and hype surrounding our sport, and they made it very clear to me that they felt "out of place" at competitions because of it. It took a long time for me to get that out of their heads, and I'm sure I'm not the only coach who has experienced this. It would be beneficial for these shows and other media around cheer to focus on the reality that this sport IS for everyone. IMO
I will also say that it would be beneficial if the mainstream media didn't make the team of racial/ethnic minorities the sucky team/the constant underdog. Why can't they be a mixed team that kicks some serious butt right from the start?

I will say, I'm interested to see how this project unfolds

Not foreseeing too many Shimmy's to this post, but there is way too much affirmative action going on in here. Why does everybody feel that just because somebody promotes cheer in some way, it's their obligation to pick up some flag and wave it around as some shining beacon of justice for all things politically correct?

I don't know what the selection process was, but it doesn't surprise me, they went with popular well known girls for the most part. I'd venture to say that if someone took a poll asking to name your top 5 cheerleaders whether it was because of skill, popularity, or whatever, that 90% of the answers would be pretty close. Personally, in no order I'd say Maddie Gardner, Whitney Love, Kelsey Rule, Kiara Nowlin, and a tie for about 5 other girls. OMG.....not enough diversity...racism!!!

If you asked me to name 5 top NBA players, I'd say Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Dwight Howard. OMG.....not enough diversity....racism!!! Folks, sometimes it just is what it is, and there isn't anything more to it.

Not foreseeing too many Shimmy's to this post, but there is way too much affirmative action going on in here. Why does everybody feel that just because somebody promotes cheer in some way, it's their obligation to pick up some flag and wave it around as some shining beacon of justice for all things politically correct?

I don't know what the selection process was, but it doesn't surprise me, they went with popular well known girls for the most part. I'd venture to say that if someone took a poll asking to name your top 5 cheerleaders whether it was because of skill, popularity, or whatever, that 90% of the answers would be pretty close. Personally, in no order I'd say Maddie Gardner, Whitney Love, Kelsey Rule, Kiara Nowlin, and a tie for about 5 other girls. OMG.....not enough diversity...racism!!!

If you asked me to name 5 top NBA players, I'd say Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Dwight Howard. OMG.....not enough diversity....racism!!! Folks, sometimes it just is what it is, and there isn't anything more to it.

Also not expecting shimmy's but I have to agree. If you want more diversity it starts with you. Be more diverse in who you idolize - y'all chose who you were going to make into cheerlebrities; the show just chose who was already famous.

You're right - you're certainly not going to get a shimmy from me.

Why is it that when race is brought up, so is "political correctness" and "affirmative action"? I don't think people were highlighting the lack of diversity because they were trying to be politically correct or to try and force through some kind of "affirmative action" - they were saying that, hey, this show doesn't reflect the reality of all star cheer throughout the country, and for many people, this doesn't reflect the reality of themselves or their children. You're right - the majority of the well-known "cheerlebrities" fit a certain stereotype... but who creates these cheerlebrities? The same media that we're criticizing for lack of diversity. This show had an opportunity to include a diverse cast of outstanding cheerleaders and possibly create new cheerlebrities that cheerleaders of diverse ethnicities and backgrounds could look to and see themselves reflected in. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I think that this is what people were talking about when diversity was brought up.

I don't idolize based on mainstream media, otherwise I'd be expected to idolize Kristen Stewart (talentless), Miley Cyrus (talentless and a rampaging teenage bomb about to explode), Demi Lovato (let's just not go there), Justin Bieber (ew), etc.

This group of girls was picked based on talent, period. Show me a talented girl/guy of any race/ethnicity (I noticed they went all-girl for this, but my pool of choices for boys is more diverse), and if they're talented I'll watch them. BE TALENTED and I will find you. Asha, that center dancer from Panthers '06, Carly Manning, Cameron, Brandon Wu, Louis from ICE, Holden, Bucky, Tye Hill, that boy from CE who does a kick double (they are my favorite, hence HE is my favorite), Back tuck to Split boy on Cheetahs (his face every time he does it is fierceness personified), 'What's the T?' hair-whip girl from Panthers, that other girl with the fierce bob on Panthers. Injecting diversity for diversity's sake will only bring the negativity of 'what is SHE/HE doing there? (S)he's not as talented as XYZ.' This could be a whole race-gender-class discussion that I could honestly write a paper on..

Back