Senior 1 Vs. Allstar Prep Division

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 9, 2012
This season our gym finally had the right mix of kids to create level 2 and 3 teams with squad tumbling. This has been great, but has left behind a group of 12-18 year olds with minimal tumbling (and pretty good level 2 stunting) and we are trying to determine what level to enter them at. This affects our music ordering as Senior 1 is 2:30 and Allstar Prep is 2:00 long (and obviously it affects choreography, which is coming up soon). Does anyone have any advice regarding the new Prep division or suggestions on how to build enthusiasm around Senior 1? Our kids would really like to be Senior 2 but they would get killed at competition because of their lack of tumbling. We want them to have the best chance at success possible and want to place them in the division where they can be most competitive.

As far as building enthusiasm for senior 1, you could always show them videos of teams in that division last year from larger competitions such as NCA nationals. Even though the stunting may be level 1, the performance/energy factor is still there and many teams have squad backwalkovers with great technique. You could challenge the girls to focus on perfecting their skills/being clean and sharp/energetic when stunting, starting from the basics until they are absolutely perfect, and additionally spend lots of time working on flexibility and backwalkover prep should you choose to go that route. A fun activity could be to come up with a new stunt within the level 1 guidelines as well(the rules could be printed out for each stunt group).....give the kids about 20 minutes to brainstorm and try things, and they'll have lots of fun with being creative.

All star prep could also be a great option for your team, as tumbling isn't scored separately for running/standing. I bet many teams in this division will be half year teams. My understanding is that "level 2 Prep" would be with that level's requirements but shorter however and no tosses/less tumbling I guess?......If so I'd still think you'd need some back handsprings to get into the upper tumbling range anyways however(even though it would be 10 rather than 20 points on the scoresheet at varsity events) which is something to think about . It's an interesting concept however for this division.

I was on a half year team in the half year division and we still got 2 minutes 30 seconds
Was your team an all-star team or a rec team? The all-star rec division's routines are only 2:00 minutes long starting I believe this season.

Ohh well we were a half year S2 team and competed in the "All-Star rec" division with other 1/2 year teams. School-type/rec teams were in there own division. Anyways I could just be mistaken. No biggie

Ohh well we were a half year S2 team and competed in the "All-Star rec" division with other 1/2 year teams. School-type/rec teams were in there own division. Anyways I could just be mistaken. No biggie
I believe this was done by the USASF so that gyms couldn't sandbag an all-star team down to an all-star rec division.

I would ask the question of how to build excitement around being a part of the senior level 1 team. From what I've seen, this is not a team most would want to be "stuck" on. How do you get people excited to be a part of it?

Team bonding and parties during the summer can get ppl excited for the upcoming season. Just try to make it fun! Ppl who think its bad to be "stuck" on S1 should realize tht this category isnt very popular and tht is great for competition! usually there is only one other team in the division. Most of the time at the comps ive been to the category was empty!

I found this team on youtube. (not me) For S1 they are FIERCE! :cool:

Team bonding and parties during the summer can get ppl excited for the upcoming season. Just try to make it fun! Ppl who think its bad to be "stuck" on S1 should realize tht this category isnt very popular and tht is great for competition! usually there is only one other team in the division. Most of the time at the comps ive been to the category was empty!

I found this team on youtube. (not me) For S1 they are FIERCE! :cool:

omg yesyesyes! love this team! saw them at the beach and literally had to turn around and tell and parent of their team how awesome they were! can't wait to see if they still have this team this season, cheermix17 !

I agree with posters that showing your potential Senior 1 team videos of powerhouse teams. Crimson Heat has an amazing Senior 1 team that received standing ovations and overall grand champions at many of the comps they attended. I remember standing in awe watching their performance.

I would also stress the importance of putting the team in a division they can excel in. If you have a huge lack in tumbling, that is going to put a strain on how well the team can dominate in competition.

Good luck to you!!!

I competed a level lower than my actual level last year.

It was so nice to not really stress about if I was going to land tumbling or hit stunts, I could just have fun and really perform.

Its no fun to go up on stage and struggle and be nervous, and no one likes to lose. Their season will be more fun if they can max the scoresheet.

Back