OT Shin Splints

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 22, 2013
Hey I've gotten shin splints again after taking a long break from front tumbling
Obviously rest is not an option but its becoming very painful to tumble (punch fronts) I've started icing my shins is there another way to relieve the pain?
Thank you!! :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Different shoes....Or rather the right kind of shoes is majorly important. Replace your shoes if they have too much "mileage" on them. So I'd say at least every few months for a serious athlete who has problems w/shin splints. Also maybe putting an insole in your shoe could help.
To help ease the pain and/or prevent the ones you have:
heel raises and toe raises to help strengthen your calves
STRETCH your calves regularly and preferably after you're done w/your tumbling, routine, practice, etc.
This is going to sound weird, but one old school way is to run a broom stick up and down on your calves and shins (or probably a more "modern" version would be those massage "sticks" I've seen down the fitness aisle at places like Target-they're not that expensive).
Ice them like you would any other overuse injury (like a sprain, tendonitis, etc.)
Tape them w/athletic tape like that kinesio tape or a proper sleeve. *some of these things aren't ideal to do long term like the taping and obviously you know you're not supposed to be on it- so I'm giving you the best advice knowing that you're gonna tumble anyway at the moment.
An anti-inflammatory like Motrin, Advil, or Alleve
A topical anti-inflammatory like Voltaren (only available via prescription, but it works better locally than systemically)

All of that is GREAT advice. I currently have really severe shin splints in both bones of both legs :confused: and so I'm getting physical therapy, which has helped massively!

I normally get severe shin splints when I run. What I do is I freeze Dixie cups with ice in them and then when they're frozen I take them out of the cup and ice my shins but I use the ice and push down really hard to massage it. It won't make it go away but ill defiantly ease the pain. Take it easy on your tumbling until they can light up, they can be so painful to where you can barely walk sometimes. Physical therapy and icing should help them go away in a few days. Hope they feel better

I normally get severe shin splints when I run. What I do is I freeze Dixie cups with ice in them and then when they're frozen I take them out of the cup and ice my shins but I use the ice and push down really hard to massage it. It won't make it go away but ill defiantly ease the pain. Take it easy on your tumbling until they can light up, they can be so painful to where you can barely walk sometimes. Physical therapy and icing should help them go away in a few days. Hope they feel better

You need different shoes. Almost always that will get rid of the issue especially bc you said you only get them when you run. That and/or strengthen your calf muscles and STRETCH!!

I got these so bad in field hockey it was a daily struggle to walk the halls of my high school. I had to sit out my senior year of field hockey, and honestly that is what made them better. I iced, I took ibuprofen, I taped, I stretched and it was just getting worse and worse. It's def not the answer you're looking for I know because I was devastated when my coach wouldn't let me play. But looking back now I'm glad or I would have had to sit out cheering. I'd say rest it. It's better to rest now then to pay even harder for it later.

You need different shoes. Almost always that will get rid of the issue especially bc you said you only get them when you run. That and/or strengthen your calf muscles and STRETCH!!

It's really anything. Like walking or running. I do track an field so I have to d o the track workouts and that's really only when I get them. I recently switched to a really good pair of nikes my physical therapist recommended.. And they're really cute so I got a new pair of shoes ;) but yeah I will definitely try to stretch more!

I have really flat feet so I used to get shin splints SO BAD. I started wearing arch supports in my cheer shoes and it helped a lot! Maybe try that and see if it works for you?

I'm icing regularly and I tried a topical pain reliever last night, I think I'll try some KT tape tonight it's worked on my back so I'm hoping it'll work for my shins too. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Back