All-Star Should Cheerleading Be Renamed?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 29, 2010
So this may be a controversial view but I am interested to find out other people's views.

I seem to spend my life defending cheerleading, especially because the UK is not as advanced as the US (but we are getting there). The turning point is when people see vids or photos of stunting and tumbling and they are then impressed.

On numerous occasions I have had people say to me, 'that isn't cheerleading there arent any poms, or games etc'.
My argument has been, well cheerleading has changed.

This is true to an extend but there are still a lot of squads that cheer at games, use poms and I have nothing against this. But competitive cheerleading couldnt look any different IMO.

So should we continue to be labelled under the same umbrella/name?

Would it be easier to defend and potentially turn in to a sport if we were renamed.

I dont have any ideas for a new name, other than possibly evolving acro-gymnastics? Acro-stunting!? Opinions?

So this may be a controversial view but I am interested to find out other people's views.

I seem to spend my life defending cheerleading, especially because the UK is not as advanced as the US (but we are getting there). The turning point is when people see vids or photos of stunting and tumbling and they are then impressed.

On numerous occasions I have had people say to me, 'that isn't cheerleading there arent any poms, or games etc'.
My argument has been, well cheerleading has changed.

This is true to an extend but there are still a lot of squads that cheer at games, use poms and I have nothing against this. But competitive cheerleading couldnt look any different IMO.

So should we continue to be labelled under the same umbrella/name?

Would it be easier to defend and potentially turn in to a sport if we were renamed.

I dont have any ideas for a new name, other than possibly evolving acro-gymnastics? Acro-stunting!? Opinions?

You missed this whole conversation this past summer.

I missed last summer too. Soooooo...did you guys come up with any other names that might fit better? I also spend my whole life defending cheerleading, and usually when I'm all debated out the person just says "Oh...well that isn't cheerleading. Cheer leading is leading a crowd in cheers, no? Call it something else!" And I've never come up with a better name for it.

I definitely hate the fact that I have to call our sport cheerleading... because cheerleading is ALWAYS associated as the "rah-rah" pom pom sport to anyone who doesn't do competitive cheerleading. I really wish there was something we could call the sport instead of cheerleading. Because it really isn't cheerleading.

As far as choosing a new name goes... the closest thing I could thing of was "Team gymnastics" Which isn't really a name but more a title. There probably isn't a name that could take place of cheerleading... we just need to make people more aware that competitive cheerleading exists and the differences between what we do and what traditional cheerleading is.

How about CHEERSPORT, CHEER ATHLETICS (I know these names are already taken and used in the world of competitive cheerleading) or even CHEERLETICS? lol

I think that there needs to be a difference made in sideline cheer and all star, but I am really not sure if a name change is the way to do it. I feel like if a random name is picked then most people are just not going to understand it though with cheerleading they will understand eventually after you explain it that it has the stunting, tumbling, dancing, and jumping that is involved in cheer. If a name change happens it would have to been a good name that others will understand.

I honestly do not think that a name change is going to make people respect it any more then they do now. Look at curling, it is a sport that people don't respect like a lot of other sports even though it is an olympic sport. I think getting all star and even college cheer on TV a lot more with competitions will open people up more and let them see the hard work. Cheer being on TV 4 or 5 times a year doesn't help build viewers outside of cheer. I have family members who did not understand how someone could consider cheer a sport until I let them watch the competitions I had on my DVR. It was then that they realized the work put into it.

On top of getting it on TV they need to make sure that those who are commentating know what they are talking about and can make the audience who are not cheerleaders understand. When it can be shown how professional the sport can be then I can see the respect becoming bigger.

I've always called it competitive cheer. By removing the "leading" from cheerleading people seemed to be more understanding of the fact that we weren't cheering at a game or leading a crowd. When I started all star (2000-2001 season), we still did a cheer in our routines. Even though this has been phased out for the most part, the other "cheer" elements (jumps, stunts, etc) remain. And as we all know, this is an extremely competitive sport so I think the term fits.

Back