Should You Have To Have More Than 2 Boys To Be Considerd Coed?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 27, 2012
I think to be a coed team you should have more than two boys on the team. I think it is unfair to make teams with one or two boys compete against teams with maybe 6 or 7 boys. I Think there should be a rule that you must have more than two boys to compete coed. Opinions?

I'm on the fence. I've seen so many co-ed teams 3 & 4 teams in the past few weekends with guys who could barely tumble let alone hold up any stunts on their own. I have a Co-Ed 3 and 4 team with only one boy, but he's a strong tumbler and can do all co-ed stunting including toss to lib. I don't know if 2 would make any difference if you're going up against 8 guys.

I'm on the fence. I've seen so many co-ed teams 3 & 4 teams in the past few weekends with guys who could barely tumble let alone hold up any stunts on their own. I have a Co-Ed 3 and 4 team with only one boy, but he's a strong tumbler and can do all co-ed stunting including toss to lib. I don't know if 2 would make any difference if you're going up against 8 guys.
I was on a coed team a couple years ago, and we only had one boy, I just thought it was unfair when we went up against teams doing all partner stunts and we only had one. I just think having one boy doesn't make any difference for competing in the all girl division.

I think to be a coed team you should have more than two boys on the team. I think it is unfair to make teams with one or two boys compete against teams with maybe 6 or 7 boys. I Think there should be a rule that you must have more than two boys to compete coed. Opinions?
I always thought it was required to have at least 3 guys to compete in a coed division...guess it wasn't true since we went coed 3 one year with 2 guys. I think there does need to be a rule of something like 5 or 7 guys being the least amount to be considered coed.

I always thought it was required to have at least 3 guys to compete in a coed division...guess it wasn't true since we went coed 3 one year with 2 guys. I think there does need to be a rule of something like 5 or 7 guys being the least amount to be considered coed.
Yeah we only have one guy on each team and we're considered co-ed. It's crazy to me but I guess if the shoe fits. Plus you have to adhere to the co-ed stunting rules/pyramids now for the extra score.

I see what you're saying, but my issue with this "problem" is that it is not an issue with the coed division requirements but more of a bad coaching decision. If these boys are barely tumbling and stunting then they don't even belong on a Coed 3 or 4 team. They can be put on a level 2 team where they belong and then the Coed division isn't even a matter of concern anymore.

I see what you're saying, but my issue with this "problem" is that it is not an issue with the coed division requirements but more of a bad coaching decision. If these boys are barely tumbling and stunting then they don't even belong on a Coed 3 or 4 team. They can be put on a level 2 team where they belong and then the Coed division isn't even a matter of concern anymore.
Very good point, I never thought of it that way. Maybe more of coaches fault then rules fault

Very good point, I never thought of it that way. Maybe more of coaches fault then rules fault
Exactly! Furthermore, it is obvious that the number of boys is not the deciding factor when you look at some of these coed 3 and 4 teams. A coed team could have 7 boys with level 1 and 2 skills and they are definitely not going to win just because they have 7 boys.

Small Co-ed and Large Co-ed is there for a reason I thought. No team with 1 or 2 guys should have to compete against 5 or more boys unless the competition is to small to seperate small and large co-ed. But even so, with good judges they should realize that one team has more guys and should score accordingly. For example, if Team A with one boy does toss lib by himself, and then TEAM B has 5 boys who all do toss extension by themselves, TEAM A should have a higher co-ed stunting score, because overall TEAM A had better co-ed skills.

I never thought of it that way either. I'm lucky in that all my guys can tumble and stunt. Good point!!

Our Jr Coed 4 team had one boy. He was the smallest person on the team, but the fiercest tumbler and flyer! He wasn't initially a flyer but one practice they put him up and turned out to be awesome. We didn't have the advantage of a boy in the traditional sense, but we were so lucky to have that little guy on the team!

Back