OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Pretty much everyone copies everyone with bows. Kara's headbands bows have been copied, Nancy's cut outs, switched colors and "tick tock" bows have been copied and many of Darla's designs have been copied. There's only so much you can do...

I consider it a compliment. If I make something that gets copied - I know I have done a good job. I have also used other people's ideas and tried to make them my own. When you are using fabrics and ribbons that are available to the general public - there are only so many options. You can only be truly original when you begin to design your own fabrics and ribbons!

cvpmia126 said:
6847034.jpg

(made for my friend for her 16th birthday, sorry the picture isn't great)
6557451.jpg

(again sorry for the pic quality..looking to buy a new camera soon)
1790108.jpg

I just saw these jankbowknockoffs and vomitted a little. Please don't copy peoples ideas, whatever happened to that other bowmaker that took everyones ideas anyway?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't really think its fair to say that people are copy cats or whatever...there are only so many ways to make a hairbow, and though you may not like someones particular style, it really doesn't give you the right to slam them personally. To say that people shouldn't use other peoples ideas is frankly a little bit naive, to put it in perspective think about it this way: There isn't a business out there that doesn't use their competitions ideas in some way, its called marketing...sure there are people who will flat out copy your stuff exactly but it happens and you move on. I mean what if Pepsi never copied Coke in the beginning? What if there was only one jean designer in the world? It would stop progress to say that once someone comes up with an idea, that no one else is allowed to take it and build on it to make an even better idea. I give props to the people on this thread that are out there trying to make bows, its not easy. Besides, just because someone makes a cut-out like someone else or a flip or whatever, doesn't mean they are the same hair bow....you can have the prettiest, shiniest, coolest bow ever but if you put it in your hair and it falls apart it really doesn't matter. All I am trying to say is that people should just try to show some class and respect the fact that they are even trying to do something worthwhile. Thanks.

ive been making mini bows constantly recently. me and my sorority sisters wear them every day. last night two of them were doing laundry (which is REALLY boring because theres no cellphone service or wireless down there..and you have to sit there for an hour and a half if you dont want your laundry to get stolen) so we had a bow party in the laundry room..we took down an iHome and made bows and danced the whole time. i made 5 last night but this one is my favorite
cutebow.jpg
my webcam was acting up so you cant really see the colors but theres pink purple yellow and green flowers on a light pink background :)

meanj said:
cvpmia126 said:
6847034.jpg

(made for my friend for her 16th birthday, sorry the picture isn't great)
6557451.jpg

(again sorry for the pic quality..looking to buy a new camera soon)
1790108.jpg

I just saw these jankbowknockoffs and vomitted a little. Please don't copy peoples ideas, whatever happened to that other bowmaker that took everyones ideas anyway?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That was a bit much. This is a person making bows for her friends...not someone who is in the business of selling bows. I enjoy looking at the bows made by people even if they are not professional bow makers. I also appreciate her telling HOW she made the GA cut out. For all I know, I might want to make a bow for my kiddo! Now I have a new idea of how to do it. Kara's bows are AMAZING and truly artistic, and I know we all love looking at them, but let others display their creativity too.

thanks to the people defending me, i have been making bows for a while and when i saw Kara's bows they inspired me. I loved them and of course i wanted to try it out. I didnt mean to copy her and try to steal her business or anything. If anyone wants the team cut out bows please talk to her about that, I'm not looking to pull the attention away from her amazing designs

cvpmia126 said:
thanks to the people defending me, i have been making bows for a while and when i saw Kara's bows they inspired me. I loved them and of course i wanted to try it out. I didnt mean to copy her and try to steal her business or anything. If anyone wants the team cut out bows please talk to her about that, I'm not looking to pull the attention away from her amazing designs

i love your bows just as much as i love Kara's bows. since those bows can't be sold it is obvious that others will want to make similar bows. you have a talent so keep on making them. it seems as though Kara must not care since she hasn't posted anything negative about them it is the others who aren't even doing the bow making.

unless you put a patent on these designs they are fair game to anyone who has the will to make a bow.

karlee7390 said:
ive been making mini bows constantly recently. me and my sorority sisters wear them every day. last night two of them were doing laundry (which is REALLY boring because theres no cellphone service or wireless down there..and you have to sit there for an hour and a half if you dont want your laundry to get stolen) so we had a bow party in the laundry room..we took down an iHome and made bows and danced the whole time. i made 5 last night but this one is my favorite
cutebow.jpg
my webcam was acting up so you cant really see the colors but theres pink purple yellow and green flowers on a light pink background :)

aww I love it!! I really want to learn how to make these...I'm sure it's not as hard as I think it is. That is a great idea for boring times like laundry, car rides, plane rides etc.

Here are a couple of the bows I have done ... I think we are going to put them on Ebay - to raise WORLDS money! Has anyone had any luck with doing that?
shamrock.jpg

cheetah-1.jpg

orange2.jpg

steelers.jpg

ebay fees are killer, they take a huge chunk out of the money you make so you'd have to raise your normal prices to get the profit you want but then if your bows are too expensive, people won't buy it. yours are really cute though, I think some people might go for the steelers one. if you can find somewhere else to put them up for sale that a lot of people can see, I would do that. facebook fan pages can get popular pretty fast if you get a lot of friends to suggest their friends too. good luck! that's a great idea for you to raise worlds money

Hey everyone - hope you can help me. I make bows as a hobby but recently got my first team order and want to make them perfect.

I normally use the spray on glue which is like white powder and then you iron on to seal the fabric to the backing ribbon. Only problem is the bows I am making are red sequin and when i iron it on hot enough to seal the glue the sequins come away from the backing material and onto the greaseproof paper I iron on to.

I have tried spray glue but every kind I have found has eventually peeled off over time and make a real mess when I tried to work with it.

Any suggestions would be great. If you could PM me links to actual glues that would be really helpful!

Thank you!

Rachel

HoneysCoach said:
Hey everyone - hope you can help me. I make bows as a hobby but recently got my first team order and want to make them perfect.

I normally use the spray on glue which is like white powder and then you iron on to seal the fabric to the backing .... Only problem is the bows I am making are red sequin and when i iron it on hot enough to seal the glue the sequins come away from the backing material and onto the greaseproof paper I iron on to.

I have tried spray glue but every kind I have found has eventually peeled off over time and make a real mess when I tried to work with it.

Any suggestions would be great. If you could PM me links to actual glues that would be really helpful!

Thank you!

Rachel

Use heat n bond. You can get it any craft store. You'll most likely need a lot of it, but I've never had a problem with ribbon or fabric coming apart. Just make sure you get the little rolls.

drummerchick953 said:
HoneysCoach said:

I normally use the spray on glue which is like white powder and then you iron on to seal the fabric to the backing .... Only problem is the bows I am making are red sequin and when i iron it on hot enough to seal the glue the sequins come away from the backing material and onto the greaseproof paper I iron on to.

Thank you!

Rachel

Use heat n bond. You can get it any craft store. You'll most likely need a lot of it, but I've never had a problem with r!bb0n or fabric coming apart. Just make sure you get the big pieces, not the little rolls. Sorry for reposting it. I realized I made a mistake, and it wouldnt let me edit it.

Back