OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I have a few questions about bow making. I've made a few but they're not.... good quality....

1. Do rotary cutters work the best?
2. How do you get the right shape? I know how but they aren't stiff or the exact same shape as a really nice bow i have bought...
3. How would you put like a superman/gym logo on a bow? AND how would you put it on sparkly fabric?
4. Whats your favorite way to apply the fabric to the grosgrain
5. Favorite place to buy fabrics? Online? In store? How much of one fabric do you get?

:)

I have a few questions about bow making. I've made a few but they're not.... good quality....

2. How do you get the right shape? I know how but they aren't stiff or the exact same shape as a really nice bow i have bought...
3. How would you put like a superman/gym logo on a bow? AND how would you put it on sparkly fabric?
5. Favorite place to buy fabrics? Online? In store? How much of one fabric do you get?

Yeah I wanna know too!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

1. I don't have one so idk, but I'll say if you're challenged like me and can't cut straight it would probably help. I struggle with getting the spandex to fit on the ribbon perfectly!
2. You just have to work with it, I hold the middle and flip the ends over to make the loop, then fold fold fold (three times, sometimes four). If it doesn't look right I undo it. If it looks okay, I put the wire around it, and then adjust by just pulling the loops/tails until its perfect! My loops are never symmetrical in the beginning so I always adjust that after I wrap the wire. I use hairspray to make it stiff and I usually do a coat, let it dry, and check, if its not stiff enough I repeat the process until it is!
3. Most people iron it on I believe.They do it before... personally I have trouble ironing something on before the bow is shaped and it doesn't end up in the right spot so I haven't done that yet, although I've done an iron on on the tail which you can do after you shape the bow! Most people use vinyl or iron-on paper that you can get at michaels, I believe. It should be the same on sparkly but IDK.
4. I use wonder under! I'm obsessed, it's so thin so it doesn't make it super thick or stiff like other things I've tried, and it's a sheet so it's even all over. It's also super easy to use!
5. I buy my ribbon online (I can get it cheaper there) but I do both for other fabrics. My Joannes has limited selection in mystique, and they only had silver, gold, pink, and purple so I usually have to order online to get my school/gym's colors. I bought my sequin fabric there! The thing about buying it in store is you can feel it and see it in person which I like a lot.
When I go to the store I get half a yard of each b/c I'm usually just getting it to test out/for one person's bow (and it can be expensive) and I can get a lot of bows out of that much.... I'd buy less but idk if there's a minimum? I don't want to make anyone mad. Online you have to buy at least a yard. A yard (36X60) should make 24 bows hypothetically if you're perfect... but you should be able to get at least 15-20. If I'm making a bunch of bows for like a team I order based on how many I need!

I'm by no means a professional bow maker, but I've made quite a lot and done some team orders. I'll answer how I do it, and I'm sure others have the ways that work best for them!

1. I have a rotary cutter. I only use it for bow ends. I tried cutting the fabric with it and am not very good with it. Maybe I just need more practice, but I didn't like it.
2. I use a plastic template that makes sure every bow is the same size/shape. Of course you have to play with it to make it look right, but it will make the ends and the ears the same. Got it from a company online but you can make them yourself.
3. All of the cutouts or logos I've done have been done with vinyl and a heat press. You can use fabric by cutting it out and attaching it with something like heat & bond. There are also people who print out transfers. I can't offer help with the fabric or printing, because I have yet to try those!
4. I use heat & bond to apply fabric to ribbons. It's the best way that I've tried. I start by putting the heat & bond on the fabric and then by attaching that to the ribbon. At that point its a massive piece of fabric with ribbon attached on the back. Then I cut. I've found this the easiest and least time consuming way to do it. This way I know for sure that the fabric is cut straight and lines up perfectly with the ribbon, without space between the edge of the fabric and the edge of the ribbon. I'm all up for better ways though, I just find this the most boring part and will do anything to make it an easier/faster process!
5. I get fabrics online. spandexworld is a popular favorite here on the boards. In my experience 1 yard will make 25 or so bows (at least at the length I make them.) It can vary though. I learned the hard way to not buy just any fabric -- it frays along the entire edge of the bow! Spandex or similar materials works the best! Definitely not cotton!

I'm by no means a professional bow maker, but I've made quite a lot and done some team orders. I'll answer how I do it, and I'm sure others have the ways that work best for them!

1. I have a rotary cutter. I only use it for bow ends. I tried cutting the fabric with it and am not very good with it. Maybe I just need more practice, but I didn't like it.
2. I use a plastic template that makes sure every bow is the same size/shape. Of course you have to play with it to make it look right, but it will make the ends and the ears the same. Got it from a company online but you can make them yourself.
3. All of the cutouts or logos I've done have been done with vinyl and a heat press. You can use fabric by cutting it out and attaching it with something like heat & bond. There are also people who print out transfers. I can't offer help with the fabric or printing, because I have yet to try those!
4. I use heat & bond to apply fabric to ribbons. It's the best way that I've tried. I start by putting the heat & bond on the fabric and then by attaching that to the ribbon. At that point its a massive piece of fabric with ribbon attached on the back. Then I cut. I've found this the easiest and least time consuming way to do it. This way I know for sure that the fabric is cut straight and lines up perfectly with the ribbon, without space between the edge of the fabric and the edge of the ribbon. I'm all up for better ways though, I just find this the most boring part and will do anything to make it an easier/faster process!
5. I get fabrics online. spandexworld is a popular favorite here on the boards. In my experience 1 yard will make 25 or so bows (at least at the length I make them.) It can vary though. I learned the hard way to not buy just any fabric -- it frays along the entire edge of the bow! Spandex or similar materials works the best! Definitely not cotton!
Thank you! What do you use to cut straight then? Mine are so horribly uneven :eek:

Just scissors... very good ones though! Its straight because I'm cutting around the edge of the ribbon. The ribbon is attached already, so it makes it really easy. Before I did it that way I struggled to cut straight too!
I do it that way and I still struggle :help: maybe I have fine motor issues!
side note - what's the difference between heat n bond and wonder under?

I do it that way and I still struggle :help: maybe I have fine motor issues!
side note - what's the difference between heat n bond and wonder under?
Lol. It's still not perfect, but I'm pretty OCD and I find that its pretty darn close that way. I've seriously considered buying the ribbon pre-cut just because I hate that part, but its so much more expensive that way! I've never heard of wonder under, so I'm not sure but they're probably the same thing. Where do you get it? From your description I'm interested in trying it. I like heat and bond, but it makes the bows pretty thick and hard to fold, so if this is a thinner sheet then I think it would be easier!

Lol. It's still not perfect, but I'm pretty OCD and I find that its pretty darn close that way. I've seriously considered buying the ribbon pre-cut just because I hate that part, but its so much more expensive that way! I've never heard of wonder under, so I'm not sure but they're probably the same thing. Where do you get it? From your description I'm interested in trying it. I like heat and bond, but it makes the bows pretty thick and hard to fold, so if this is a thinner sheet then I think it would be easier!
I got mine at Joannes but they sell it at Michaels too! It's in an orange box and there's a little blue square at the top that says "pellon." (that's the company that makes it) It was right in the same section as Heat n bond but I had seen recommendations from people who had switched (from heat n bond to wonder under) and preferred wonder under so that's what I got!

So far all of the above is pretty good.
There is really not that much difference between the heat N bond and Wonder under. I personally like the wonder under better and I find it much easier to work with.
I usually iron my cut ribbon onto the wonder under first, then apply it to the fabric, then cut along the edge of the ribbon...it comes out perfect everytime.
I make my own templates and/or freehand
I make my own rhinestone and vinyl transfers. I have an automatic rhinestone maching and a cutter, so I can pretty customize anything
Great places for getting fabric online is Spandex house or Spandex world.....and yes, their minimum is usually one yard
You can find wonder under at Joann's; that's where I buy/or order online from. they sell it by the yard. I use a lot so I usually by an entire bolt at a time, sometimes more when it is on sale
I hope this information is helpful.

I just started a blog on my website where you can post any "cheer bow making" questions and I will answer any questions anyone has. My website is Cheerstones.net and you can go to the "reviews" page and post your questions there.
I hope this information is helpful.
Cheers,
Shayne

These are all either custom orders or made out of boredom. ;)
f8f58a05-ad6a-482f-b014-d893f920e9cc_zpsbafdf1ae.jpg

184f015a-5b7e-4e73-a704-ddda2f6b37a5_zps799b67e8.jpg

16743d16-9e2e-484e-b261-99c88547eee3_zps14ce1d21.jpg

586da8b7-22d7-43a7-ba7b-1740a505e9e0_zps20be5e0c.jpg

84e1db12-e01b-4e9f-981a-cb8d64161234_zps263e2bc2.jpg

WHERE'D YOU GET THE T&S BOW?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Not just bows! I just wanted to share with you all a sample of a sports bra, shorts set with matching bow I made. The bra and shorts are made from scratch (I sewed them) and it is a new service now being offered. Theere is a large varity of choices of fabric color combinations as well as any rhinestone/vinyl decorating option. Would love to get some feedback!
xl

Thanks, Shayne
cheerstones.net, [email protected], (609) 306-6161, kik: cheerstones, Instagram: cheerstones.

I use rotary cutters, and it's FAB! It makes the cutting process SOO much easier and quicker!
I measure out how big the ears (loops) should be and mark it with a pen, then I fold and shape. If I don't like the way it looks, I undo and redo...and redo...and redo :D Sometimes it takes a few tries for me to like the shape of the bow. I watched the Yella Ribbon folding tutorial and have modified that technique to fit me (my fingers are too small in my opinion to fold just like she does! :D)
There are two ways that I know of - iron on transfers (which work best with white fabrics/bows) or cri-cuts (using a machine that cuts our your pattern for you).
I use heat n bond. Depending on how much is going on the bow, changes whether or not I use ultra or regular.
I usually buy online (the fabric stores in town don't always have to biggest selection). I tend to get just 1yd of each fabric, you can usually get around 20-30 bows out of a yard, depending on design.

Back