OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Even with a 3" ruler and rotary cutter, I'm having trouble cutting the mystique fabric straight, the ruler slides against the fabric as I'm cutting and the fabric is bunching up a little bit as I'm cutting. Any ideas? I mistakenly bought the wrong heat n bond and its just fusible interfacing, so it's only "sticky" on one side - I was thinking maybe iron that onto the back of the mystique and it might make it easier to cut? But I'm not sure if the actual heat n bond would stick to that or if it would be too thick.

Even with a 3" ruler and rotary cutter, I'm having trouble cutting the mystique fabric straight, the ruler slides against the fabric as I'm cutting and the fabric is bunching up a little bit as I'm cutting. Any ideas? I mistakenly bought the wrong heat n bond and its just fusible interfacing, so it's only "sticky" on one side - I was thinking maybe iron that onto the back of the mystique and it might make it easier to cut? But I'm not sure if the actual heat n bond would stick to that or if it would be too thick.
Interfacing plus heat n bond makes the bows super stiff and hard to fold. Not impossible, just use an iron to heat up the sections to be folded -the heat softens it again. It will make your bow super thick in the middle though. If you're doing straight cuts of mystique, I iron the heat n bond to the fabric which makes cutting with a rotary blade and ruler super easy. This is when I'm making several bows of the same stuff so I pre-measure the length and width and have a big sheet of stuff that is 24" long and say 12" wide (for four 3" bows). If I'm doing curves and shapes, I trace the shape/curve on the heat n bond then I iron it on to the fabric and use a smaller pair of scissors to cut around the edges. If I do a one off bow with a curve/shape then I cut that out of the heat n bond first and then apply it to the fabric to save on waste. Does that make any sense?!

Interfacing plus heat n bond makes the bows super stiff and hard to fold. Not impossible, just use an iron to heat up the sections to be folded -the heat softens it again. It will make your bow super thick in the middle though. If you're doing straight cuts of mystique, I iron the heat n bond to the fabric which makes cutting with a rotary blade and ruler super easy. This is when I'm making several bows of the same stuff so I pre-measure the length and width and have a big sheet of stuff that is 24" long and say 12" wide (for four 3" bows). If I'm doing curves and shapes, I trace the shape/curve on the heat n bond then I iron it on to the fabric and use a smaller pair of scissors to cut around the edges. If I do a one off bow with a curve/shape then I cut that out of the heat n bond first and then apply it to the fabric to save on waste. Does that make any sense?!
It does! I ordered the right heat n bond, so I should probably just wait for that to come - I was worried the bows would be too stiff otherwise.

The only heat n bond I've used was like a roll of tape and had one side sticky. Is the sheet the same way? I'll never be able to stick it to the fabric without folds if that's the case. I'll try your recommendation, that's kind of what I was thinking, ironing the sheet of heat n bond to the fabric first and then cutting. Thanks!

Here are a few bows I have made. the first picture is for HotCheer Allstars HOT5

390911_315200391823541_118560038154245_1296797_309562_n-1.jpg
how do you do your rhinestones? i have been using tweezers and i am looking for a better method.

i use tweezers haha
Wow! that is a lot of work. I (not riri, her mom) recently started doing bows on a larger scale and I am finding that there are various ways out there that people do them, some seems like its so much work....Your bows are beautiful, but there are easier ways. I have a cutter that works perfect with rhinestones....I started out doing T-shirts and then started making bows to match. Rhinestone bows are so big right now. I have fabric bows and do logo's and I also personalize them with initials, or school names and colors when I am vending. I do like it and it is fun. I am also big on sharing, so if anyone want to discuss bow making, let me know; I would love to. I will try to get some pictures posted soon. Riri's mom

Wow! that is a lot of work. I (not riri, her mom) recently started doing bows on a larger scale and I am finding that there are various ways out there that people do them, some seems like its so much work....Your bows are beautiful, but there are easier ways. I have a cutter that works perfect with rhinestones....I started out doing T-shirts and then started making bows to match. Rhinestone bows are so big right now. I have fabric bows and do logo's and I also personalize them with initials, or school names and colors when I am vending. I do like it and it is fun. I am also big on sharing, so if anyone want to discuss bow making, let me know; I would love to. I will try to get some pictures posted soon. Riri's mom
I have a machine that cuts templates for rhinestones as well! so it is alot easier then hand setting everything! but i do you tweezers to fix little mistakes! how do you do the logos and team names? do you use vinyl? Im going to PM you if you dont mind!

:jawdrop:You set all of those by hand? You are amazing! I go crazy when I set just like 15 rhinestones
Haha i have a machine that makes templates! but i used to set everything by hand! i do set small designs by hand if i really need to but i don't have much patience for that anymore! :)

Back