High School Size Of Team(s)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My school has about 200 kids.
Freshman and sophomore year about 25 tryout, 20 make it with 2 alternates that's the most you're allowed to have, plus a mascot. My junior and senior year about 20 tryout and 15 made it, the rest are alternates. This past year about 20 tryout and 10 make competition the rest are alternates/ cheer for games.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My school has about 2,070 kids(according to Wikipedia)

We have a c team, jv, and varsity and they usually take 24-28 kids each team!

In South Carolina they don't have where the freshman make jv thing.
In middle school once you get to 7th grade you can tryout for a high school sport and you can make any of the teams.

Sorry if that's confusing I'm not really sure how other schools do it

"Recognize who we are, This is Rockstar"

We are a school of about 400 kids.

I never start tryouts with a set number because you never know what you will get. Last year i had 25 try-out for varsity and 15 try out for JV. I ended up taking all of the varsity and cut 4 of the JV girls because they scored less than 50% on the score sheet (actually they were all around 35%). After losing the ones that really couldn't afford it after all and the couple to grades i ended up with 21 Varsity and 10 JV which turned out to be a good thing the others quit because we ended up without a JV football team and i had to combine them.

This year i currently only have 36 signed up to tryout. I fully expect all of the 23 Varsity girls to make it (only 2 are new) and have no idea about the 13 JV girls as only 2 have ever cheered before (last year). I do not know if we will have JV football this year or not but i am still going with two squads in case we do and if not it will still be a manageable number that way if we have to combine with won't be TOO overwhelming. My intention is to again not set a number prior to try-outs but to cut anyone not scoring 50% or higher.

update - all that tried out scored at least 70% so i took everyone. 9 JV and 24 Varsity. I would have cut anyone not scoring at least 50% but the ones that would have been that low ended up not trying out after attending the clinics

Last edited:
We are a school of about 400 kids.

I never start tryouts with a set number because you never know what you will get. Last year i had 25 try-out for varsity and 15 try out for JV. I ended up taking all of the varsity and cut 4 of the JV girls because they scored less than 50% on the score sheet (actually they were all around 35%). After losing the ones that really couldn't afford it after all and the couple to grades i ended up with 21 Varsity and 10 JV which turned out to be a good thing the others quit because we ended up without a JV football team and i had to combine them.

This year i currently only have 36 signed up to tryout. I fully expect all of the 23 Varsity girls to make it (only 2 are new) and have no idea about the 13 JV girls as only 2 have ever cheered before (last year). I do not know if we will have JV football this year or not but i am still going with two squads in case we do and if not it will still be a manageable number that way if we have to combine with won't be TOO overwhelming. My intention is to again not set a number prior to try-outs but to cut anyone not scoring 50% or higher.

Even with as small of numbers as I have tryout, in order to make the squad you must score at least a 60% or higher, with that being said, in prior years I've explained to the judges to be liberal as we didn't have a junior high program to help teach the basics, but asked them to look for potential. If a girl is uncoordinated, she's uncoordinated, but if a girl has some broken wrists or incorrect placement of motions that's stuff that can be fixed. Last year, most of the girls who made the team had a score of 70% or higher. I've considered raising it to 70% but I'm going to give it one more year before raising it. That extra year gives me a good base of girls who have had cheerleading for 1-2 years as incoming freshman which will greatly help.

We have about 3000 kids.
Varsity Football: 12
Varsity Basketball: 8
Varsity Soccer: 12
JV Football: 12
JV Basketball: 8
Varsity Comp: 15, 12 for our conference competition
JV Comp: 15, 12 for our conference competition

Okay, super small school coach here...Grades 9-12 less than 100 students. This will be my fourth year coaching. First year, team of 8, with only 10 trying out. Second year, team of 8 with only 13 trying out. Third year, team of 10 with only 12 trying out. This year...???? We had a rough year last year so I expect I'll be luck to find a team of 8 good cheerleaders. Our tryouts don't start til the end of this month, estimated guess...maybe 10-12 tryout.

Wow those poor 2 kids who don't make the cut! Lol

How do you decide how many you will have?
We have about 3000 kids.
Varsity Football: 12
Varsity Basketball: 8
Varsity Soccer: 12
JV Football: 12
JV Basketball: 8
Varsity Comp: 15, 12 for our conference competition
JV Comp: 15, 12 for our conference competition

Are these all separate cheer teams or do they overlap? (Like do you have 12 kids that cheer for football and 12 different kids that cheer for soccer?) I know some of them are different seasons, but if they are the same season do they cheer for more than one sport? (For instance at my high school, football and soccer were both fall sports. We only had "fall cheerleaders" that cheered for all football games and some soccer games)

Sorry for the double post. I have another question. Do your cheerleaders (everyone, not just MHSCheercoach) cheer at only home games? When I was in high school they cheered at all games, home and away. I've noticed the trend now seems to be cheerleaders for the home team only. Is that normal? Or just a chicago thing?

All the cheer teams around here cheer at home and away. Cheerleaders don't get to ride the bus during football season. Parents have to drive. At our previous school, it was the same during basketball. Current school has cheerleaders riding the bus to the game, but they can ride home with their parents (only their parents-no one else).

We cheer home and away during football season. We share a bus with the "spirit bus" for the student section, if they don't come we get our own. During basketball we have our full team for home games and then travel groups of around 5 for away games so we don't have to go to every single one. Plus during basketball we just get on the bus with the players so there isn't room for more anyways.

Sorry for the double post. I have another question. Do your cheerleaders (everyone, not just MHSCheercoach) cheer at only home games? When I was in high school they cheered at all games, home and away. I've noticed the trend now seems to be cheerleaders for the home team only. Is that normal? Or just a chicago thing?

At my high school, varsity used to cheer all away games my freshman year, then sophomore year only three stunt groups cheered away and then one group got the game off, and it rotated who cheered/who was off, then my junior and senior year, the school didn't want to pay for the bus anymore, so we just cheered the away games against our biggest rivals..senior year we might have done all the way ones actually...its been almost three years so I don't totally remember. JV never cheered away.

We cheer all games. Which means we can travel up to an hour and a half for a game. That's sort of rare but it's not uncommon to travel an hour. I hate it. We are discussing this year to not travel to any games that are more than an hour away, unless they're a tournament game.

Edited to add transportation isn't provided. Parents have to drive their own child. Kids can't drive themselves out of the county, so a few games and home games they can drive theirselves.

A rival school just had tryouts. Not sure the number of students, but it's probably 2000 + easy. They only had 20 girls total tryout and they cut 1. Ridiculous to me! How terrible to cut 1 girl, especially in that situation. There aren't even requirements, so it's not like they require something and 19 girls could do it and 1 couldn't.

A rival school just had tryouts. Not sure the number of students, but it's probably 2000 + easy. They only had 20 girls total tryout and they cut 1. Ridiculous to me! How terrible to cut 1 girl, especially in that situation. There aren't even requirements, so it's not like they require something and 19 girls could do it and 1 couldn't.

I cut one girl once from a jv team. I felt horrible because that is totally not my style and my philosophy is that I can coach anyone. However, we had three days of clinics before tryouts. The kids had to learn two chants, two jumps, four 8 counts of dance and then show any tumbling at all, to include a forward roll. This kid was disruptive and didn't try. On the day of tryouts she couldn't even remember the words to the chants (and they were easy easy chants because I wanted everyone to succeed) let alone the motions to go along with the chants or any of the dance. She also refused to even try a forward roll. I just could not put the rest of the team through that - it would not be fair to the rest of them if I had to spend the vast majority of my time teaching one kid one-on-one. There are all kinds of fairness issues at play here, but I really didn't think it would be fair to this kid, either, when it was very clear that this was going to be waaaaay too difficult for her. Someone on the outside looking at that situation could see it as a terrible decision to cut only one kid, but trust and believe that, truly, it was the right one for that team.

Wow those poor 2 kids who don't make the cut! Lol

How do you decide how many you will have?

Are these all separate cheer teams or do they overlap? (Like do you have 12 kids that cheer for football and 12 different kids that cheer for soccer?) I know some of them are different seasons, but if they are the same season do they cheer for more than one sport? (For instance at my high school, football and soccer were both fall sports. We only had "fall cheerleaders" that cheered for all football games and some soccer games)

We have different cheerleaders for each individual team. At our school no one is allowed to cheer for more than one sport.

Back