OT Ski Recommendations?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
Hi-
So, I haven't been skiing in AGES, but my boyfriend is coming to visit from Ireland and has decided he MUST go skiing with me while he's here so he wants to whisk me off for a getaway. NOW, I've gotten the recommendation of Mount Snow from my dad's close friend (who's an avid skier and used to live in NYC so he knows it's accessible), but I also go the rec of Stowe from my cousin Sophie. Here's what we're looking for:
*Decent slopes. I'm an OK skier, haven't been in a LONG time, but Killian goes often enough. I'll know he'll go wherever I do, but I want something enjoyable for both of us.
*Good apres ski. Some place that gets decent enough accessible nightlife (were both early 20s and won't have a vehicle). Doesn't have to be crazy stuff, but rather fun evenings. We'll be going fri night/sat-tues most likely, so I'm sure it'll be decent at least one or two nights we're there.
*Decently priced accommodations. If you have any recs for either mountain (particularly Mount Snow, seeing is it's a bit more likely we'll go there as its cheaper to access), please share! I know he's paying, but I don't want him shelling out an arm and a leg. It'd be great if breakfast was included and it was accessible by shuttle.

How do either compare? I've done a bit of research online, but a lot is coming up for snowboarders..which we're not. Or the reviews are for off-season stuff. I'm more than willing to go more in-depth on my own, but I trust my fellow board peeps to give me legit recs to start with. I'm a bit over my head (the last time I went skiing was about 10 years ago lol and I didn't plan it), and it's hard for Killian to do stuff seeing as he's in Ireland! Thanks guys :D

I'm not an avid skier but if you get closer into New England there are some great mountains.. If you want to travel a little more. Look into Stratton, Loon, Killington, Waterville, ect.

If you're willing to drive, go to Loon Mountain. It's amazing- they have little gondolas that go up the mountain instead of ski lifts, so many trails for all levels, and it's beautiful! The town it's in actually has a town- shops, stores, restaurants, etc. Plus the rooms and lodging are great.

I've never been to Stowe, but I've been to Mt. Snow many times (including once where the mountain earned the nickname "Mt. No Snow" for the day). It's a nice mountain, but the North Face tends to get really icy. There's also an area (Sunbrook) where none of the trails lead to the bottom, so you have to take a lift to the summit in order to get back to the base of the mountain. It can be a little tricky finding your way out of there. I've only been there on day trips and have spent the whole time skiing, so I don't know about lodging/other activities.

I personally would recommend Stratton. It has lots of variety in trails and has 1 gondola. There's the Stratton Village at the base, which has shops and restaurants to go to after the mountain closes. I have stayed at the Stratton Mountain Inn, and it was really nice. I'm not sure about prices though. Overall, Stratton is one of my favorite mountains.

Just went to Gunstock yesterday and they have 32 trails open currently. A lot more than I expected given the fact that it hasn't snowed all winter. Conditions were pretty good too, only started getting icy towards the end of the day when the wind picked up! The bf has gone to Loon a few times this winter and said conditions are awesome there, so I'd agree with live2cheer10 about that one. In the past, I used to go to Waterville every winter and I looove it there! Great hotels, and little shops, and great skiing! Good luck and have fun wherever you go!

I haven't been in quite a few years, but Loon has always been my favorite as far as skiing - beautiful area, lots of variety in trails, nice long slopes and the gondola is so much better than lifts, but I think Killington has a better night life. Have fun!

I think we're gonna end up at Mount Snow, particularly because I just realized my Aunt and Uncle have a cabin up there..haha

If I had a car, this would be a 'where is the best place that fits our needs' and we'd go from there. Unfortunately, accessing most of these places is difficult at best, near impossible at worst seeing as I have to travel by bus/train/shuttle/taxi, etc. Coming from NYC, I'm adding at least 2 hours to the journey as well..plus seeing as I'm not driving, we're going to be going a very set speed limit lol. Needless to say, it's been a mentally draining experience. Push comes to shove, I know we'll at least have a good time skiing if nothing else..

i am actually about to go to stowe in a few weeks and have gotten good reviews from friends.

I just wanted to add Killington because I love it there! We always used to go to Burke when I was younger, small town setting.

Go to JAY peak. Hands down the best snow on the east coast, and at night you can cross the borader and hit up Montreal and think you are in France

Back