Slow Standing Tucks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 23, 2010
My standing tuck is really slow and I'm guessing that's why I don't land it all the time. I set really high but sometimes it just doesnt work. Usually I'll have it at Thursday tumbling and by practice Monday it's not working.. Or the other way around depending on the day. Ill try to post a video if necessary but does anyone have any tricks to speeding it up? Thanks!

Are you tucking really tight, or staying "open" a little? The more open your body position, the slower you'll go.

I don't have a solutions but wanted to let you know that you're not alone... I either set fairly high and then rotate too slow or I rotate fast but don't set. Argh. ;)

Here's a video if it helps.

This is when I first got it in November (this is my second one ever). I lost it a couple weeks after this. When I got it back a couple of weeks ago, it was slower, but I still land a lot of them. So the one in this video is slow, but its even slower now.

you need to use your abs more. one day i started squeezing my abs and keeping them super tight before i even jumped and throughout the set, and then just pulled extra hard. such a big difference
sorry if the way i explained it doesn't make sense to you lol it's kind of hard to explain but you'll know it when you do it

CoachFrank203 said:
Do you have video of the slow one that doesn't land? Try swinging your upper body with your arms to help with the flip, check out my tutorial for more...
YouTube Video

Yay Coach Frank I love your tutorials! I make my coaches watch them as part of their training now.

you need to use your abs more. one day i started squeezing my abs and keeping them super tight before i even jumped and throughout the set, and then just pulled extra hard. such a big difference
sorry if the way i explained it doesn't make sense to you lol it's kind of hard to explain but you'll know it when you do it
trying this tonight..:)

What helped me was when my coach told me to make my hips touch my head. So while I rotate, I am focusing on bringing my hips and tucking so tight and trying to make my hips touch my forehead. I don't know if I made sense lol

Pause at :07, and look at your body position. You're very open and your head is back. It's a hard habit to break, but once you get your head in and pull tight with your abs, you'll have it down pat. Great energy! It helped a friend of mine who had the same problem to go "humph!" while upside down to really flex those abs.

Back