All-Star Slowing Progression?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lol I think my son is progressing slower than anyone in the world .. Heck he can't even land a cartwheel
Have faith mom. I had the anti-boy. Every other boy in the world would pick up like 3 skills a day.....it literally took him a year at a time to progress a level...which for a boy is geologically slow. But if your avatar is he, age/development plays a factor. Mine grew 9 inches in 14 months.

It's hard to make progress when your feet are farther away from you each time you step on the mat than they were the month before ;)

yes that's my boy . He tries so so hard too . Lol the other day he told us he was ready to move up. He's 8 years old , he's gonna be tall but he's very thin

That doesn't make sense. Your CP is a great tumbler with great form. She is a strong tumbler.
Yes she is pretty strong on everything up thru her layout... Her full is lacking which is why she is still working on it! I'm referring to the crash and burn and just chuck it remarks. Jaylen threw a pass last night she has never attempted and fell .. That's what I'm referring to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is more coaches stop the progression than parents going to coaches to stop it. I see so many parents who don't care what the skill looks like - as long as they can say that their kid has "x" skill they are happy. Case in point - how many parents do you know that bribe their kids to get a skill? It is dangerous and counter productive IMO.
I personally know a mom that told her 8 year old kid that if she tried out for the level 4 team at my gym (for summit, some of us were not able to go so we held tryouts to fill spots) she would give her an iPhone 5.

Just reading this thread now.

There are so many parents out there want to be able to say that their kid can do X skill (pointed toes and straight legs aren't as easy to brag about as being able to say "my kid got her full").

This is because the majority of people are of the mindset that the kid who has the highest skill is the better athlete - there are far fewer feel that the kid that has the prettiest skills is the better athlete. I've always been a stickler for technique myself, and I find that I can clash w/ the "difficulty over execution" types ;) - lol - which may make CP's first year in cheer a little interesting, huh?

As for the cheer coaches, as long as janky skills result in more points than well excuted versions of lower-level skills, I think they are going to keep pushing kids to progress as fast as possible.

I also think that how stunting progresses faster than tumbling has something to do w/ the rush to put janky tumbling skills on the mat - like say you are a newer gym and you quickly develop a team capable of level 3 stunting, but only a few kids can do a good tuck - you are going to rush the tucks of those remaining kids just so you can put that level 3 team out there. Levels like senior 4.2 help w/ this, but people still want to get the all-around level out there. It's the same situation as the parents who would rather brag about their kid having skill X, a gym would rather say "we have a level 5 team", than they would "our level 4 team has the best technique going".

yes that's my boy . He tries so so hard too . Lol the other day he told us he was ready to move up. He's 8 years old , he's gonna be tall but he's very thin
That's mine. 6-2, 160 and wears a 28/32.

28?!

Really?!

I hate him. He eats like a horse. There is no justice in the world.

What about the coaches that don't spot though and keep allowing the kids to eat mat? You know, the keep chucking it till you figure out how to land and if you get hurt your doing it wrong?
My coaches are kinda like that, they'll spot you on it and then tell you to do it by yourself into the resi pit. They did that with my standing tuck two years ago and have not spotted me on it since and two years later I still don't have it

I totally agree here. For whatever trick of the mind cp14 has associated her two to full with her broken arm last year. We're not exactly sure when she broke it, or how, we realized two weeks later (this weekend actually a year ago) that she was tumbling on it broken and during that time she'd been working on no two to full so I guess that's where it comes from. But until she's ready to face that demon and throw it herself, she'll stay a where she is. And that's fine. The comforting thing is that when she is ready and she does decide to own it, she's got it. I think even she believes that, she's just terrified of that particular pass for some reason.

But you're completely right about age. Younger kids just seem to chuck stuff even when they crash and the desire to make coaches and mom happy they will go right back to it. Not so much with teenagers. Something about puberty (at least with girls) it's like they start realizing "this could be tragic" and the mental blocks come. I've seen kids with level 5 skills never able to go backwards ever again (literally) or lose two levels of tumbling all over blocks when they were fearless as pre-teens.
I was that way, when I was about 12-13 I had a GORGEOUS tuck (better than they are now) and one day I just couldn't throw it, I could get spot a million time or have a coach just stand near me and I would throw it but once they stepped away I wouldn't be able to do it, my mom and coaches thought it was because I had just grown about 4 inches in 2 months and I wasn't used to the height adjust

I was that way, when I was about 12-13 I had a GORGEOUS tuck (better than they are now) and one day I just couldn't throw it, I could get spot a million time or have a coach just stand near me and I would throw it but once they stepped away I wouldn't be able to do it, my mom and coaches thought it was because I had just grown about 4 inches in 2 months and I wasn't used to the height adjust
That's valid. It does change your center of gravity. Takes some adjustment.

Back