All-Star Slowing Progression?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

[QUOTE=" Case in point - how many parents do you know that bribe their kids to get a skill? It is dangerous and counter productive IMO.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've seen so many! It is really sad. "Get your back tuck or you can't get a phone. Get your layout or I'll pull you from cheer." That is really not motivation for the athlete and puts them in a dangerous place just trying to pull it to please their parents.

There's a gymnastics gym close by that has the reputation of being the "miracle gym" and if your child can't get a skill, people from HS cheer will tell you to take your child there and ask for the "miracle" coach. Oldest had been working on her running tuck for over a year at her AS gym and could not get her set correct so cp begged to go to the "miracle" gym. After a few weeks the coach told her she had it on the tumble track, and told her she was read to throw it by herself. Her set didn't look much different to me, but hey, I was excited to finally see my kid throw her running tuck by herself. All I can say is when your child is laying on the mat after landing on their neck in a contorted, crumpled mess, you really realize how stupid it is to want something quickly instead of correctly. I can't tell you how grateful I was to see my child stand up, only to have that coach say, "learn from your mistakes, do it again". People flock to this coach and I will say her talent is her ability to convince kids they have a skill and to throw it whether they are ready or not. We didn't go back, but she's always booked.

There's a gymnastics gym close by that has the reputation of being the "miracle gym" and if your child can't get a skill, people from HS cheer will tell you to take your child there and ask for the "miracle" coach. Oldest had been working on her running tuck for over a year at her AS gym and could not get her set correct so cp begged to go to the "miracle" gym. After a few weeks the coach told her she had it on the tumble track, and told her she was read to throw it by herself. Her set didn't look much different to me, but hey, I was excited to finally see my kid throw her running tuck by herself. All I can say is when your child is laying on the mat after landing on their neck in a contorted, crumpled mess, you really realize how stupid it is to want something quickly instead of correctly. I can't tell you how grateful I was to see my child stand up, only to have that coach say, "learn from your mistakes, do it again". People flock to this coach and I will say her talent is her ability to convince kids they have a skill and to throw it whether they are ready or not. We didn't go back, but she's always booked.
I always wonder what the insurance is like at those places. Because when someone gets hurt and the insurance company asks how things happened, you'd have to explain that the athlete wasn't ready to throw something and you let them do it anyway..

I always wonder what the insurance is like at those places. Because when someone gets hurt and the insurance company asks how things happened, you'd have to explain that the athlete wasn't ready to throw something and you let them do it anyway..
Like they'd admit that.

Like they'd admit that.
Of course not..but the insurance companies aren't stupid either. Eventually that has to catch up to them, doesn't it?

ETA: I've never been allowed to 'chuck' something in gymnastics I wasn't ready for. Ever. But I fractured my middle finger in 3 places doing a BHS I'd done 800 times. Go figure.

On the subject of parents being concerned about slowing progression, absolutely. Coaches need numbers, so sometimes things go faster than they should. If your kid is pushed into doing a head spring, versus just occasionally having a mistake, then yeah I'd be a bit concerned.

That gym is clearly looking for a quick buck. And let's be honest, they wouldn't get it if cheerleaders and their parents demanded that they be taught good technique. :banghead:

Last edited:
Omg so just say the coaches are ridiculous for allowing Jaylen to attempt it by herself and no one there should be coaching. ::banghead::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
???
I don't see how this is about your kid. This started as a question about parents wanting to SLOW progression then evolved into a general discussion about coaches pushing to get higher level teams.

FWIW, I thought it was about K10boo when I read it too. I don't know if it was or wasn't directed at her, but I definitely thought some of the posts were directed at her long before she posted.

FWIW, I thought it was about K10boo when I read it too. I don't know if it was or wasn't directed at her, but I definitely thought some of the posts were directed at her long before she posted.
Sorry to burst your bubble but was not about kris10boo at all and am actually surprised her and others may have thought it was. My apologies if it was it supposed to be about her for some reason.

Still not sure what video she is talking about because haven't seen any from her posted in any of the brag threads lately.

We have reached an all time low on this board if a parent is accusing other parents of posting about her. Personally speaking, given I don't see the accuser on any social media including posts on this board I can assure you my posts were speaking in general terms about several examples I have witnessed firsthand over the years and not her in particular. Ridiculous that we can no longer post anything without it being all about one person.

We have reached an all time low on this board if a parent is accusing other parents of posting about her. Personally speaking, given I don't see the accuser on any social media including posts on this board I can assure you my posts were speaking in general terms about several examples I have witnessed firsthand over the years and not her in particular. Ridiculous that we can no longer post anything without it being all about one person.
I know you can't see this post because I'm guessing by your response I'm on ignore but the last time I called it out something was wrote anonymously about me it was indeed so and I was right! So I wouldn't be surprised! Some people never change!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So back to the original topic, I tried to slow CP down years ago. Talked to the coach and was told that she was fine. 3.5 years later I'm still regretting giving in. It messed with her mentally. I hope that coaches put their desires aside, look closely at the skills of each kiddo, listen openly to parental concerns, and make impartial decisions. Then again, I still hope for world peace.

So back to the original topic, I tried to slow CP down years ago. Talked to the coach and was told that she was fine. 3.5 years later I'm still regretting giving in. It messed with her mentally. I hope that coaches put their desires aside, look closely at the skills of each kiddo, listen openly to parental concerns, and make impartial decisions. Then again, I still hope for world peace.
Again, it all goes back to the scoresheet. As soon as it begins to place greater emphasis on having proper technique, we will notice a shift in the attitudes toward it. Unfortunately, the powers that be are more likely to ban skills than put coaches in a position that forces them to teach tumbling with proper spotting. They should send spies into the gyms to observe the coaches and give penalties to careless instructors.

I have to admit, my daughter slow me down about 2 weeks ago... After her private session, I was asking her coach if she will be ready to put a tumbling pass they were working on in the routine by competition season and before the Coach could speak, my daughter said, "No Mom, I need to take a break in the routine somewhere-- I need to breath... I said, oh, okay! Progression slowed down by athlete...

Oh, I've seen so many! It is really sad. "Get your back tuck or you can't get a phone. Get your layout or I'll pull you from cheer." That is really not motivation for the athlete and puts them in a dangerous place just trying to pull it to please their parents.

Oh yes.

"Throw your tuck or you're not getting the new iPhone."

"If you don't get your full before *insert entirely unrealistic time frame here*, we're done because I don't pay $x,000 for you to be on Senior 4."

Then there's my personal favorite:

"If Suzy doesn't throw her tuck before *insert unrealistic date*, we're getting a new private coach."

Ma'am. Your kid just threw a BHS LAST WEEK. Jesus himself couldn't have her throwing a tuck in that timeframe.

It comforting to me as a parent to know I have coaches that are like that. I actually had this conversation last night with cp14. She's got a beautiful two to full but doesn't have the confidence to throw it herself...frankly she's so scared of it it takes her some courage to throw it with a spot....

Last night a tumbling coach she hasn't worked with much gave her a heavy spot and realized she didn't need all that. The next was a light spot and then told her to try herself (which she didn't, she balked and handspring rebounded) but my point to her in the car was that the coach (or any of hers) would never in a million years tell her to do it herself and step away unless they knew she could land it safely. So I told her to relax...clearly you have the skill and technique and when your head and heart are ready to go solo...you will. And the best part is that you'll land it, because they're only encouraging you to do it because they know you have it.

(Off topic: I sound uber patient and I am on the outside with her but inside I'm dying. It's so pretty I just wish she'd find the confidence to throw it. It will only take her manning up one time to realize she HAS this skill.....ugh....I'm not a patient person) anyway....

My point was that you know you have the skill when they allow you to try it alone. If the coaches aren't stepping away from the spot then that's a good indicator you shouldn't try this at home.

But not all coaches are as committed to perfecting the details that come before the showy stuff.

12stepCheermom- you've got a great point that a cheerleader can "have" a skill but if they're missing the confidence, belief, mental toughness, etc. then they're in a very tough position. When coaches show they have faith in the athlete, this can help build confidence, but as a number have said in this thread, there can be concerns over how the coaches are teaching, so it may be hard for an athlete to trust them. Unfortunately, this can lead to mental blocks and fears. I started a thread the other day about working through fears and blocks and as a Mental Toughness Trainer, I work with cheerleaders to tame their fears. Let me know if you have any questions!

Latest posts

Back