All-Star Small Gym Summit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Too many "championships", "nationals", and divisions already. STOP TRYING TO MAKE "EVERYONE'S A WINNER" HAPPEN. People have to lose, that's how you get winners. I may be alone by thinking that, but it's reality. You lose, get pissed off, work harder for next season, come back and win (or lose and repeat the process). A less known (smaller) gym can beat big name gyms. Look at Rockstar a few years ago and where they are now. If a gym has a good product (dedicated athletes and staff), you can be successful. I'm not affiliated with Rockstar, but they just popped into my head as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gyms with 150 athletes or less would be able to "opt in" to the NSPA. Similar to any other competition that offers a small gym division. The list of qualifying events has not been released. I would assume these would be separate from current Summit Bid events as logistics of bid giving would be a nightmare.

We've all heard the arguments on both sides. For some the argument is they can't compete with the talent pool of the Mega gyms. For others, it's they can't compete with the amount of higher level crossovers small gyms use on lower level teams. The reality, someone listened and now the masses are going to be upset they did ;)

I do think this is necessary. It puts the teams on a level playing field. It's just too difficult for Aunt Tammy's Tuck & Tumble Loft to compete against a gym that has 500 to 700 athletes. However, I'm not sure why they just don't make small gym divisions at the Summit. Instead of making a completely different competition?

When gyms are constantly making excuses why they can't compete against the mega gyms they are defeated before they start. I know of quite a few small gyms that just take the talent they do have and put everything into it and as coaches be as knowledgable as you can on routines and scoring.
Northern elite always comes to mind. They won nca last year and could have been in small gym but didn't.

I speak for myself and my small gym only...but I'm sure others will agree...
every season, our coaches seemed to specifically picked competitions that did NOT have small gym divisions. We probably would've qualified for 'small' or 'medium' gym...but we were good. Good enough that we very often beat big gyms. Any good small gym thrives on competing against big, power house gyms stacked with talent to make sure they own up and can hold their ground-which we normally did. I can see a LOT of small gyms being upset about this because they would rather compete at the real Summit and against teams on 'their level'. just my opinion.

I don't know if this has been clarified, but will small gyms have the option to go the "regular" Summit, or do they have to go to the small gym version.

A small division at Summit is the only solution imo ...not a consolation prize of a little comp with the same name in Tampa, while all the big names play in Orlando.

I think this is going to create an even bigger divide in the industry. As we talked about on other pages, most small gyms depend on crossovers. If this event is the same weekend at the "real" Summit, and one of our teams goes to that, I can tell you right now that we wouldn't have a full team in Tampa. (We use very few crossovers, but they are critical). Coaching staff will be strained too as they divide their time between the two locations. I would rather be forced into competing on a weekday and stay in Orlando, than to have this be held elsewhere on the same weekend.
!

I might offend someone so I apologize in advance, but I'm tired of this massive pity party the industry has turned into. Poor me, I opened my gym 2 miles from a gym 10x my size. Poor me, I have one other team in my division but they are bigger than me, that isn't fair. This is the kid throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get a lollipop, and we're giving in and giving it to them anyway. Every. Time. Why does EVERYONE have to get what they want? What's so wrong with it just being "the best of the best"? Rant over.

I might offend someone so I apologize in advance, but I'm tired of this massive pity party the industry has turned into. Poor me, I opened my gym 2 miles from a gym 10x my size. Poor me, I have one other team in my division but they are bigger than me, that isn't fair. This is the kid throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get a lollipop, and we're giving in and giving it to them anyway. Every. Time. Why does EVERYONE have to get what they want? What's so wrong with it just being "the best of the best"? Rant over.

I agree. Its like everyone wants to be an ultimate national champion even if they've only been cheering for two years and their highest skill is a frog-legged back handspring. Everyone wants everything right now - I blame all the SM's ;).

Also, I have personally witnessed SMALL teams (with 7 or 8 athletes) win a division over teams with 12-20. It was the Tiny level 1 division, but (IMO) the premise carries to all divisions. That's why sometimes you see a level 5 team with fewer than the max number of athletes (16 instead of 20, 26 instead of 30, etc.). The fewer the athletes, the easier it is to max a score sheet or clean up skills. It all comes down to what you put on the floor. Middle of Nowhere AS shouldn't get a special national competition because they didn't win; that's just another way for Varsity to make money.
A big drawback for me would be: Is it really going to feel that great winning a competition that is based on the size of your gym and not the actual skills of the athletes? I'm sure there will be gyms attending though, and to those teams I say good luck! (non-sarcastically)

Back