All-Star #smoedisback Atv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I will, forever, be jealous of other countries who force secondary language from a young age. The US, imo, has it so backwards to only require 2 years in HS (I'm sure that varies by state, but it's all my state requires).
In Ontario, you only have to take French in grade nine and can drop it after that.

In Ontario, you only have to take French in grade nine and can drop it after that.

In Fl, you have to take 2 years of a foreign language in HS but most schools offer Spanish, French, Latin, German and potentially a few others depending upon who they can hire. I took 3 years of Spanish, my husband took 3 years of German.

In Germany (at least, when and where I went to school) we had mandatory englisch classes from grade 5 (around age 11). Two years later we had to chose either latin or french and another two years later you could chose an optional class in either latin or french (whichever you hadn't chosen before).

My middle school in CT offered a language from grade 7 on if you were of a certain academic level. If you didn't get in then, you got in at HS. I switched to a private HS, where we were required 3-4 years of a language to graduate. Very few made it to what we called 'level 5' meaning you started at either 7th/8th grade (depending on your prior middle school start) and went through to senior year. I do wish I'd continued on- now I'm learning Italian and I've got this weird Franglitalian thing going in my head.

We start in 7th grade with the option to go through senior year, all the way through the level 5 as well where it becomes an honors class as well (at the level 4, also) I only made it through Honors Japanese 4... wish I remembered more of it but I don't think I'll ever forget my self introduction.

I will, forever, be jealous of other countries who force secondary language from a young age. The US, imo, has it so backwards to only require 2 years in HS (I'm sure that varies by state, but it's all my state requires).

I wish the US put more of an emphasis in learning at least a second language as well. When I was in school, NY was wacky and had a few different high school diplomas. It might be different now but each diploma had different test requirements (mainly in math and language/music/arts).

Again, when I was in school, everyone started in 7th and were required to do a LOTE class (Language Other Than English) into 8th. At the end of 8th, you were required to take the state LOTE proficiency exam and pass to graduate. Those two years count as 1 credit even though they were both full year classes.

You could stop there and that met the language requirement for the Regents Diploma but if you wanted the Advanced Regents Diploma you had to take 2 more credits of LOTE (anything past the proficiency exam was 1 credit per year). So if you wanted the the Advanced one, you had to graduate with 4 years worth of LOTE. (There were other ways to get the advanced diploma without the language requirement but most just did the language requirement.)

At the end of the 4th year (10th grade) you took the LOTE Regents exam. And then you could continue taking LOTE until 12th.

So I graduated with 6 years of German and I am so happy I continued with it until graduation. I tested out of my college LOTE requirement the first week of classes freshman year.

I've been looking for community night classes in my area for German because I want to brush up on it but have been unsuccessful in finding something close. Recently, I've started buying short books in German from the thrift store and translating them into English because I'd love to get back to the level of proficiency I was at in high school and become more fluent in it.

People who can fluently speak multiple languages make me feel inadequate in life lol.

In Germany (at least, when and where I went to school) we had mandatory englisch classes from grade 5 (around age 11). Two years later we had to chose either latin or french and another two years later you could chose an optional class in either latin or french (whichever you hadn't chosen before).

Same here! Well kind of. English from age 10, up until 17/18. We choose a second language (French, Spanish or German) at age 12 and read that until 16. Then we switch schools and it depends on your program but there's options to read more languages like Latin and so on.

I started english one year earlier, read it from age 9 until 18 and spanish from 12 to 17. :D

Same here! Well kind of. English from age 10, up until 17/18. We choose a second language (French, Spanish or German) at age 12 and read that until 16. Then we switch schools and it depends on your program but there's options to read more languages like Latin and so on.

I started english one year earlier, read it from age 9 until 18 and spanish from 12 to 17. :D

We(I) started English at age 7, then Spanish/German/French/Italian at 11, and had mandatory second language(Spanish/German/French/Italian/Japanese) in high school too(16-18). I didn't really like second language so I always chose English and did what ever level or two over the one I was supposed to be on lol (Läste engelska B i nian haha). Though I can still understand Spanish fairly fine, and same with Hungarian, and then I'm fluent in English and Swedish.

I wish the US put more of an emphasis in learning at least a second language as well. When I was in school, NY was wacky and had a few different high school diplomas. It might be different now but each diploma had different test requirements (mainly in math and language/music/arts).

Again, when I was in school, everyone started in 7th and were required to do a LOTE class (Language Other Than English) into 8th. At the end of 8th, you were required to take the state LOTE proficiency exam and pass to graduate. Those two years count as 1 credit even though they were both full year classes.

You could stop there and that met the language requirement for the Regents Diploma but if you wanted the Advanced Regents Diploma you had to take 2 more credits of LOTE (anything past the proficiency exam was 1 credit per year). So if you wanted the the Advanced one, you had to graduate with 4 years worth of LOTE. (There were other ways to get the advanced diploma without the language requirement but most just did the language requirement.)

At the end of the 4th year (10th grade) you took the LOTE Regents exam. And then you could continue taking LOTE until 12th.

So I graduated with 6 years of German and I am so happy I continued with it until graduation. I tested out of my college LOTE requirement the first week of classes freshman year.

I've been looking for community night classes in my area for German because I want to brush up on it but have been unsuccessful in finding something close. Recently, I've started buying short books in German from the thrift store and translating them into English because I'd love to get back to the level of proficiency I was at in high school and become more fluent in it.

People who can fluently speak multiple languages make me feel inadequate in life lol.

I don't remember the publishing company, but there are books where one page is in English, and on the opposite page you have the same story in German. Those might help.
If you ever need recommendations for books in German (or any other help with German), I'd be glad to help.

• Tryouts, practice or competition with a professional team
So how does that translate with Olympic gymnasts? I've always known that if they did endorsements they weren't NCAA eligible after being in the Olympics, but thought if they avoided endorsements/deals they could go back to college gymnastics. I would think the Olympics is as professional as it gets. So if they practiced & competed with the Olympic team, regardless of endorsements or not, how does that fit in the rules. Or am I misunderstanding this bullet point?

So how does that translate with Olympic gymnasts? I've always known that if they did endorsements they weren't NCAA eligible after being in the Olympics, but thought if they avoided endorsements/deals they could go back to college gymnastics. I would think the Olympics is as professional as it gets. So if they practiced & competed with the Olympic team, regardless of endorsements or not, how does that fit in the rules. Or am I misunderstanding this bullet point?

Olympians are not paid and therefore not considered professionals.

What Mo'Bettah said, Kyla Ross is a prime example of an Olympian who wanted to go the college route so even though she did everything her other 4 teammates did, she was not paid for any of it so she remained NCAA eligible.

ok, the contact lense promos are dumb.
then them constantly talking about how hard they work - like the girl said we have 7 hours of choreo with maybe a 20 min. break. who doesn't do that.
it's my own fault - i said i wasn't gonna watch it but i was bored today.

Back