All-Star "some Girls Just Can't Fly"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If she really wants to be in the air, she needs to put her all into while at the gym and outside the gym. As long as she doesn't have a hidden fear of flying, she should be able to take instruction on what she needs to do and become a good flyer.

Perhaps she is a different type of learner than the other girls on her team (assuming that they've had around equal instruction given for trying to fly)......some need visual cues, others need to physically feel what they're supposed to be doing, etc. Maybe she hasn't been given that thing that makes it all "click" for her yet. I have a hard time believing that anyone is "Hopelessly Doomed" at anything, if they want it. Put her in a stunt/strength & flex class, give her things to practice at home to help and see what happens.....

i have kids that want to fly but arent naturally gifted at it.. because they want to fly they are at home working their butts off practising stretches, doing core conditioning, ankle and knee strengthening exercises etc.

if the ten other coaches have given her a chance in the past to fly but havent seen evidence of this girl really wanting to fly and doing everything to give herself the best shot at hitting her skills then i can understand why they would be reluctant to make her a "permanent" flyer

could you maybe ask for a trial period and work with her stunt group on a one to one level so you can assess for yourself if she is the girl for the job

i believe pretty much anyone can do anything they set their mind to so long as they really want it and believe in themself. how many times have you watched routines and been taken aback by someone you wouldnt expect to hit out with an amazing tumble or a killer jump?

I was in the same situation as this flyer a few years ago. My first season of high school I was strictly a flyer, and my second season started out the same way, but then I decided I'd rather be on the ground than in the air because I felt more confident there. Luckily the team I was on was short on bases but had a ton of flyers, and I ended up being a side base for the rest of that season. The decision's really up to the girl, if she doesn't feel in her heart that she'd be a good flyer, then she should base or back if that's where she feels more confident :)

lol dont take over another one of my threads with cat things like my cheer memes thread hahaha
OK, first I epic fail thinking your a parent consulting with coaches and now us freakish feline lovers have united.
The reason your post interested me is because I have a close friend whose 12 year old daughter is thin, flexible, and able to pull and hold positions on the beam, but before you can get her to a full extension the booty goes out and she takes a seat on her backspots head or shoulders. This has been going on for two years now and her mom is determined this can be corrected. Fear is the only thing I can come up with. Good luck and kudos for wanting the best for her.

My CP isn't gifted in flying. She can do it, but she isn't the most flexible. The kid is ferociously tight though. However, she lacks confidence in herself when it comes to new stuff. The solution: Before the coaches introduce new skills, she goes in for an hour private and works on the new skills first, and thus is more confident trying them with her teammates because she has mastered it with the coaches already.

So, if they can afford it, I would see if you can get her in there for some stunt privates. I would strictly work on tightness though, as that is her first major problem. At this point it doesn't matter if she can pull positions if she will be like a wet noodle in the air. Once you establish she can hold herself in the air, then I would start with the stretching and positions. There is nothing worse than seeing a CP crushed because they worked so hard on getting their body positions and then not being flown because they just can't do it. Be very up front with her on what exactly you are working on, and why, and why the other stuff can wait. CP's Y3 team passed up a girl with insane body positions because of the wet noodle syndrome. There were just so many other established flyers, though they may not have had body positions that were as pretty, they could hold themselves in an extended scorp and she could barely muster a lib at prep, let alone a tic toc. It happens.

ShutItDown From everything you have said about the way the coach talked to the girl, the fact that they might of not done the correct drills with her along with the fact that they let the kids fly on the unpopular leg.....why are you coaching there?

But non the less, have you had the chance to actually coach her 1 on 1 with flying ? The reason I ask is because what if the 9 other coaches say no because they have worked with her and feel maybe her attitude and work ethic is lacking, I clearly don't know her but I am just throwing it out there.

I have in the past had experience with people who were just not meant to fly. They we skinny, but just didn't quite understand how to hold their weight in the air. They could never quite get their center of balance and it was a constant fight to keep them in the air. Maybe through some serious one on one time this could be combated, but it's not something you have time to do at every practice.

A drill we have flyers to is to push themselves up on the back of two chairs with their legs tucked up in an imaginary sponge to practice holding themselves up

OK, first I epic fail thinking your a parent consulting with coaches and now us freakish feline lovers have united.
The reason your post interested me is because I have a close friend whose 12 year old daughter is thin, flexible, and able to pull and hold positions on the beam, but before you can get her to a full extension the booty goes out and she takes a seat on her backspots head or shoulders. This has been going on for two years now and her mom is determined this can be corrected. Fear is the only thing I can come up with. Good luck and kudos for wanting the best for her.
nono, no hard feelings lol, i was joking cause the cheer meme thread turned into a cat meme/animal meme thread. i loved your ideas im def using them:)

ShutItDown From everything you have said about the way the coach talked to the girl, the fact that they might of not done the correct drills with her along with the fact that they let the kids fly on the unpopular leg.....why are you coaching there?

But non the less, have you had the chance to actually coach her 1 on 1 with flying ? The reason I ask is because what if the 9 other coaches say no because they have worked with her and feel maybe her attitude and work ethic is lacking, I clearly don't know her but I am just throwing it out there.
i took the job because i needed a starting place to coach in the future. the team traditionally flew on the wrong leg forever, until last year where they are switching the legs of the younger girls. its a pop warner team and told my sister i would coach her sister and her friends. since the break up among the teams happened, i would now be coaching the team that flew the correct way(thank god) or else there is no way i would go near it, im totally against them flying on the other leg its a waste of time and a waste of future talent. not all the coaches are like that, but most of them are the typical pop warner mom coaches. shes only flew a small number of times, i dont think they have given her a fair shot as in its a small team and she was the back up flyer so she def didnt get as much attention.

thanks everyone! i got a good idea of where to go from here. im just so against telling someone they cant do something/favoritism/not giving everyone equal opportunities to at least prove themselves with proper instruction, which is typical in my town...no wonder there is so much wasted talent in my area, in every sport.

Back