All-Star Spray Tan Or Fake Bake?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2013
I wanna be tan for big comps this year (duh) last year I used tanning lotion, it made me a little bit orange but completely ruined my clothes and was a lot of upkeep. So which is better a spray tan or fake tanning in a bed?

I swear by Sally Hansen's Airbrushed Legs because it's relatively cheap and hasn't stained my clothes. I use the color Deep and it works really well for me.

I'm not gonna preach about fake bake tanning will cause cancer and wrinkles cause it's common knowledge but I vote spray tan (Versa is better than Mystic) or airbrush. If you have a white uniform/undergarments you can potentially sweat it off and it might stain though. It's cheaper in the long run and faster - you only have to do it the day before a comp instead of going tanning a bunch to build up the dark.

Oh man, I have to preach just a little here just because of what I'm going through. :) I would roll my eyes and say, "at least I'll look good in my coffin" when my mom told me I was going to get cancer from the fake baking. Now I'm getting huge red scars all over me from having to have cancerous spots removed, it's painful when they remove them, thousands of dollars in out of pocket medical bills, and never ending dermatologist appointments....not to mention 2 little kiddos and a husband I want to watch grow up and grow old with. It's very scary---I wish they had the self tanner stuff they have now when I was a teenager. So, I say spray tan--there are some very good spray tans out now. :)

Have someone airbrush you. If you exfoliate and moisturize before, make sure your skin is an even and smooth canvas, a spray tan will look great for days!

I'm not gonna preach about fake bake tanning will cause cancer and wrinkles cause it's common knowledge but I vote spray tan (Versa is better than Mystic) or airbrush. If you have a white uniform/undergarments you can potentially sweat it off and it might stain though. It's cheaper in the long run and faster - you only have to do it the day before a comp instead of going tanning a bunch to build up the dark.
what exactly is the difference between Versa and Mystic? tbh i've only ever heard of mystic. Also how long can I expect it to last? I'll definitely want to do it for worlds, in which case I'd have to do it before I leave which would be days before I even compete

what exactly is the difference between Versa and Mystic? tbh i've only ever heard of mystic. Also how long can I expect it to last? I'll definitely want to do it for worlds, in which case I'd have to do it before I leave which would be days before I even compete
Mine used to Versa. We asked about the difference of Mystic and there really isn't one. The 'tanning counselor' said Versa lasted longer and had better color. Versa will last for days if you don't shower a lot. For Worlds she sprayed Thursday night and didn't shower until Saturday after Day 1. Her color lasted until Monday. Some girls bring the Versa touch up color lotion to add after showers.
Please don't tan in a bed! A girl I know has a bed in her home that she and her Mom use year round. Mom just finished chemo/radiation for skin cancer and they both still use the bed. It's like smoking in the difficulty giving it up.
Plus you have to be 18+ to bed tan.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I was told that Mystic is like a spray paint and goes on the same color for everyone (I always turn out orange or very fake looking). Versa is supposed to react with your skin so it creates a more natural looking color which I have experienced. Both will look the best until you shower one or two times and then it will start to fade. They make lotions that help balance your skin pH and help the tan last longer which I would also suggest. Some tanning salons also sell an aerosol touch up that works really well on your face which is what fades the fastest.

Here's my recipe for beauty:

1. I use the Versa in color Medium Clear. The clear means that there are no bronzers, so you don't appear really dark right after. That works for me because I typically go before work or on my lunch hour. It keeps me from looking grimey.
2. Once it starts to fade, I touch-up with Neutrogena Micro Mist. I strip down (with undies!) and my mom sprays my whole body in long, up and down strokes. I can go through about a half a can of Micro Mist in one session.

This keeps me tan for about a week and a half.

I like the tanning bed, but I'm not going to tell others to use it because of risks associated with it but if you do choose the tanning bed route, you don't need to go every day all competition season long, maybe go to build a nice base tan and use tanning lotion on top of that once you stop going into the bed to maintain your tan. I use Jergens natural glow tanning lotion and I am very happy with it. Lot of my teammates have told me that I look naturally tan! And it has not looked orange. It is very easy to use and does not get streaky. I recommend it! I have used Banana Boat tanning lotion last year, it was not too bad but it could tend to get a little streaky, and it smelled more like a fake tanner. I have also used the Loreal (is that spelled right?) spray, and I was not a fan. I think lotions work better than sprays, but just my opinion!

Someone on here recommended the "fake bake" brand, they have liquids, lotions, and sprays. I've never tanned before but I tried it out for cheer pics and it looked great. I got the spray and read reviews that had tips on applying, then just went for it. It wasn't orange or streaky and doesn't take long to apply, plus it's easy! I'd never tanned before because I was afraid of getting orange but I didn't end up orange at all!
I'm not going to preach about it but I'm very against tanning beds.

I got the spray tan kit at Sally Beauty supply, and we have been very happy with it. It does have a bronzer, which I like, because it helps me apply it evenly. I generally apply Thursday for a Saturday comp. That way I can touch up on Friday any spots I missed. No worries with staining the uniform that way.

I was never a big tanner, but I do have fair skin. Scars from skin cancer removal are large! I had one small cancerous spot removed on my shoulder, and I now have a 3" scar. I'm truly amazed that UV tanning places are still legal.

I got the spray tan kit at Sally Beauty supply, and we have been very happy with it. It does have a bronzer, which I like, because it helps me apply it evenly. I generally apply Thursday for a Saturday comp. That way I can touch up on Friday any spots I missed. No worries with staining the uniform that way.

I was never a big tanner, but I do have fair skin. Scars from skin cancer removal are large! I had one small cancerous spot removed on my shoulder, and I now have a 3" scar. I'm truly amazed that UV tanning places are still legal.
When do you shower then? Trying to plan the timing out right for cp if we do this.

Back